LucasArts done for

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by General_Phoenix, Apr 4, 2013.

1. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

Have to say I am a bit bummed by that news, although granted, they haven't released anything that great in awhile - but looking back at my old PC gaming days with titles like Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, Loom, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Dark Forces etc. Was always hoping they would reclaim their glory days of game making, but they fumbled a lot in the past decade with fairly weak games like Force Unleashed.

So, what does this mean for the future of Star Wars gaming in general?

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah LucasArts basically died a long time ago. They're just finally getting around to burying the decayed remains.

As for Star Wars games? Well.. they're going to license the shit out of them. So it kind of depends on who they license to. Will they be picky? Will they license to someone with a track record of making quality games? Or will they be wowed by some douche's business plan that shows how cheaply they can cobble together a game and make big bucks by selling the name alone? I'm leaning towards the latter.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Ditto for Trek. Legacy, I'm looking at you, you abomination.

4. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Yeh I lost track of what Lucasarts were doing over the past decade. But I remember them fondly from the 90s. Loved Loom and Day of the Tentacle, played the hell out of TIE Fighter. (I had X-wing too but it was way more difficult!).

Shame it's still so hard to buy most of their oldies digitally. There's the Monkey 1 and 2 remakes and a few other adventures on Steam, but that's about it. I would reach for my credit card instantly if their games were put on gog.

5. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fond memories of their games here too, I had the LucasArts Archives vol. 1 and 2 back in the 90s, and some of the other X-Wing games.

I guess there's not much to miss, I had thought about picking up some SWs games for my xbox 360, but I saw nothing compelling. Even the Rogue Squadron games on my Gamecube were so so after a run through.

Nothing to do but wait for the list of licensees to arrive then :)

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

LucasArts has barely done any in-house development for several years now, as far as I know. Their publishing duties will no doubt fall to Disney Interactive or whatever Disney publishes games under these days. Sucks to see the final nail in LucasArts' coffin, but they'd been on life support for a long time.

7. General_Phoenix

I wasn't even aware there was a new Star Wars game being worked on, 1313. The fate of that game remains in the air, but I guess it could go the way of the Secret of Vulcan Fury.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back in the 90s, Lucasarts and Origin games were probably the ones I bought most.
    I always hoped they'd get back on form:(.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

So let's raise a glass and say thank you for some amazing 90's games!

Good run, sad but inevitable ending :(

10. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Mass Effect trilogy and to a certain extent Homeworld games ticked a lot of boxes that a Star Wars or Star Trek game should have, so there's less of a void to fill than there might have been otherwise.

11. General_Phoenix

Yeah same here. I was an avid Wing Commander fan back then, I remember always having to upgrade my system for the newest Wing Commander game, which always seemed to push the specs way above what I had at the time. I remember having to play X-Wing on the lowest graphic setting (limited or no detail on the ships) so all I would really see were polygons in the shape of what they were meant to be, I remember being amazed when I finally had a system that I could max out the detail and finally see all the things I had been missing.

And yes, X-Wing has to be one of the most difficult games ever. Not sure how I managed to beat it back then, I can't even seem to get past the second tour of duty without a trainer these days - and don't get me started on the expansion packs, which upped the difficulty even more. TIE Fighter, and Dark Forces were favorites of mine too - and to think, no force powers to speak of in any of those games, yet they were still immensely fun. Really enjoyed Jedi Knight, the multiplayer aspect of that game alone made it worth it, not to mention all the custom maps people would make. Spending nights on Microsoft Gaming Zone, or just doing IP matches with friends was a lot of fun.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

My friends and I wasted many an hour on Jedi Knight multiplayer.

This is sad news, but LucasArts was pretty much a shell of its former self at this point, with 2005 (Battlefront II, Republic Commando) being their last decent year IMO.

13. General_Phoenix

Totally forgot about Battlefront, loved those games as well. I really enjoyed Rogue Squadron, and even liked Rogue Leader, but I didn't like Rebel Strike all that much, mainly because of the quirky ground combat missions. Although, being able to unlock and play the old Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and ROTJ arcade games made up for it. Although I would've been happy if they just stuck with the flight aspect and did away with those ground missions.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This should be sad, but the soul of Lucas Arts is alive and kicking in Telltale games.

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "insider" news isn't good as it is that the game is dead. They've tried to get another developer to pick it up and no one wanted it.

As for the future of Star Wars games, the only thing we can probably count on is in 2015 there will be a tie-in game for the new film.

16. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I still wish George Lucas had adapted Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis instead of making the shitty crystal skull movie. :(

17. General_Phoenix

Fate of Atlantis was a great game, still enjoy playing through that from time to time. Would like to see that get released on the Xbox marketplace or something, similar to what happened to Monkey Island. Liked the different paths you could take, wits, fists, or a combination of the two.

18. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Disney to LucasArts: "I am altering our deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

When I first heard the news, I figured it was a reasonable call (sucks for the people who worked there, though). I don't think Star Wars games will suffer. In fact, there will probably be more of them (I could argue that the quality would suffer, but the quality has always been hit or miss). That being said, I forgot about the non-Star Wars games (e.g., Monkey Island). LucasArts was actually quite good at making games independent of their licensing tie-in. That loss is a shame (although, as others have pointed out, they haven't been as good recently).

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I enjoyed the Battlefront series as closest thing to 'playing the films' (+ original was half-decent on the Mac). It was a shame BF3 was canned as would still like to see this in a game: