Timo's Hobbyist's Guide to the UFP Starfleet

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by thesonofodin, Oct 31, 2012.

1. thesonofodin

thesonofodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Timo, you could try mediashare. I used it in the past, and was able to upload pdf files as well.

2. thesonofodin

thesonofodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Never mind about mediashare, I just logged in and they don't support pdf's anymore. I am trying out Depositfiles right now.

3. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What if you zipped up the pdf files?

Or get a gmail account and use google docs to host the files?

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither ImageShack nor MediaShare seem to appreciate zip files, either. Hmm. I'm on Gmail already, for serious business, but perhaps I'll create a new identity for these purposes?

Timo Saloniemi

5. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"These files have been removed"?

6. Timo

Yup, that's me relying on ImageShack to nicely accept updated versions of the files and removing the old ones before attempting the upload. Which then failed. :(

Just drop me a PM with the address where you want the files to be delivered, and I'll make a nice personal package just for you. (Any of you, that is.)

Timo Saloniemi

7. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, you should be able to just create another account just for your Trek hobby and upload to your free 10gb Google Drive :)

Set the share of the file and/or folder to Public or Unique URL and there you go.

8. USS Pike

USS Pike Ensign Newbie

Hi Timo,

I have been reading your Guide to the UFP Starfleet avidly and was gutted when they were taken down. The main reason I recently joined Trek BBS was to ask you if you could please post the latest version of all three sections of your fantastic guide to my email address. I look forward to future updates to your guide!

Cheers,

Matt

9. Timo

10. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Timo, was your reference in your guide to the USS Heinemann (a testbed ship that used multiple numbers and positions of warp engines) an homage to "Mythbusters"?

11. Timo

12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Timo! These viewed (and downloaded) without a hitch. Now, to read and inwardly digest...

13. USS Pike

USS Pike Ensign Newbie

Hi Timo,

When I try to open the documents, I get a message saying "Sorry, we are having a temporary problem generating a view of the document. Please try again later." Are you updating your guide? Any idea when I will be able to access it again?

Cheers

Matt

14. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

15. Timo

Hmm. Dunno why the docs would be acting up. They appeared fine today... Packing them to mailable size doesn't seem to be working too well, so I ask you to have patience with GoogleDocs and try and gain access to them through that service.

Since I'm a pathological canonist at heart, I'm having second thoughts about quite a few TNG ship classes on basis of registry information gleaned from the background Okudagrams that the blu-rays have made visible to us. Not doing anything much about it yet, but some classes may become "earlier" or "later" eventually.

Does anybody have any nifty sources to Star Trek fightercraft in the various RPGs? Now that Into Darkness promises to make the existence of aerodynamic fighters canonical, I'm itching to do a bit more work on them. (Or is that overflight by four diamond shapes perhaps a historical display akin to having Spitfires on the sky today? Where were these craft when Nero started drilling in the San Francisco Bay?)

Timo Saloniemi

16. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The only source I can directly think of that used fighters was Jackill's work. And I only have one of his books with a single fighter design in it. :p Fighters didn't really figure into the FASA RPG, as shuttles were the only small craft and some of them weren't even considered warp capable. There were smaller ships that served as sector patrol vessels and so forth.

17. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

FASA's Scorpio class corvette was essentially a fighter with a 4-man crew. That's as close as they came that I recall. I personally think that there should be fightercraft equivalent to modern jet fighters, and the Scorpio is kinda like the Assault Scout from Star Frontiers Knighthawks, but examples are kinda thin. DS9 / TNG Peregrines seem to be the closest thing.

18. Timo

...So, is there a connection between the silly Star Fleet Battles fighter designations (F-14 Tomcat, F-15 Eagle etc) and the occasional artwork? I don't have access to any of the SFB manuals involving fightercraft (or "fast patrol boats" or whatever), but apparently fighter-based combat was a popular part of SFB at some point.

Timo Saloniemi

19. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

As I recall, yes, certain pictures were supposed to be specific fighters. I never liked the way they used the exact same designations as today. Bad enough Mastercom had the Knox class and others named straight from the modern navy. Yes, certain names will be carried over, but whole class lists, in order? FJ did it better, I thought - use the famous names from all over, in a new order. But even that is better than Jackill apparently using the phone book to name ships.

20. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

^ Interestingly enough, I was just reading FASA's Four Years War supplement the other day and thinking of how to reconcile their description of the Tikopai cruiser subclass fighting in the war with Mastercom's description saying the Tikopais were delayed and didn't actually enter production until the late 2200s with movie tech. My personal solution is to go with FASA's claims that the class did see service in the war, in an early TOS configuration (having lasers and accelerator cannons instead of phasers and photons initially) and the surviving ships of the 68 from FJ's list were the ones uprated to the class specs seen in Ships of the Star Fleet.