NASA chief touts deep space exploration: We can only survive if we are

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Yminale, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: NASA chief touts deep space exploration: We can only survive if we

Yeah, says who that the universe needs more fucking Starbucks and ugly ass condos.

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mars is already littered with our defunct robots. The moon landing sites are littered with bags of urine, junked cars and torn up platforms ... not to mention a couple crashed probes.

We are too irresponsible to take care of our own home planet, properly, so naturally, the solution is to do the same thing to as many other planets as we can get a foothold on ...
    :lol: ((...snicker))

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No need to worry.

NASA has been talking talking talking for nearly fifty years since Apollo ended. Moon base, Mars landings, deep space exploration, whatever.

In the 60s, NASA had a variety of manned space vehicles.
    Today, NASA can't get a human into LEO. NASA's manned program is less capable than it was decades ago.

NASA can keep talking and talking and making artwork and powerpoint presentations and canceling program after program after program. No need to worry. Nothing's gonna happen.

Source: waiting my entire lifetime

5. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

No, really - they're going to do it this time. And, they'll be ahead of schedule and under budget, too.

:rofl:

:sigh: I'm getting pissed all over again just thinking about how badly they've squandered things. I'm just going to put this here, and back slowly away from the thread with my fists and jaw clenched.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuhDDx49TTw[/yt]

PS: As to everyone here talking about how we'll just pollute other worlds and they are better off without us, I'll remind you that we were given all of these worlds except Europa to do with as we please. So enough of that talk. ;)

6. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

I'm surprised the previous responders here seem so negative and pessimistic.

Yes, previous people have been irresponsible and selfish, but that doesn't mean we're not learning. Look at how much more conscientious we have become about our environment now, with "green" technology, Earth Days, voluntary cleanups, etc.

And, whether we like it or not, humanity will eventually--albeit in several centuries (I hope)--realize we need to become spacefarers because our sun is running out of fuel and/or acting erratically.

So, I think Mr. Bolden is trying to take positive steps toward space exploration and colonization in a practical, realistic way.

7. USS Triumphant

I want you to be right, but realistically I just can't help but doubt. Bolden probably *is* trying to take positive steps. Let's see how long it is before the same backward governance and bureaucracy that has crushed every other administrator of NASA since Apollo crushes him, too.

8. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we are to become a spacefaring species, it will be up to the private sector to make it happen. NASA, in my opinion has lost its focus and its mission is being dictated by (edited for political correctness).

As for humanity's value to this planet, I would suggest to those who think that Earth would be better off without humans set the example and let the rest of us decide whether or not to follow.

(Note to the BBS: I am in no way advocating suicide, homicide, genocide, or any other -cide. Just making a point for the amusement factor.)

This planet was designed so that humanity can thrive. Just look around. If you don't see it, I can't help you.

9. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Don't dump on NASA, they only have the money to spend that congress gives them. Once we got to the Moon congress has never allocated the money to do anything else amazing. It's just not a priority with the American people. We need to figure out a reason to make it one.

10. USS Triumphant

I won't touch the "designed" part of that, but I agree insofar as I think it is fair to say that if we go out into space, anything we find that isn't already claimed by a sentient species is ours. And there's no particular reason to regret any supposed taint from humanity's touch (or whatever similar human-hating notion is involved) if none of it has any other purpose than what we give it, anyway.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

We have millions of years before changes in the sun's output will become a problem. Read a book.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

"Littered?" Seriously? The amount of artificial objects on the Moon and Mars combined would fit in one Walmart store.

13. Yminale

When have you last been in a Walmart store. Every store literally is a mountain of trash.

14. Yminale

The latest IPCC reports states that we as a species are screwed unless HYDRA takes over the planet and enslaves us. So basically we haven't learned anything.

Every administrator says the same thing. Moon, Mars and some other stuff.

15. Yminale

I have no problem with the 1% fleeing the planet to their perfect space colonies. I do have a problem with paying for it with my taxes. Hopefully the Russians get so mad at the West that they shoot down the ISS.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Which has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

17. gturner

gturner Admiral

Everything man has placed on the moon or Mars could fit into a 1300 square foot apartment.

I think this bears some similarity to big city folk who really never live in the woods freaking out about nature, somehow assuming that forests are tiny little nothings that they saw once at a rest-stop without realizing that the trees go on continuously for hundreds and hundreds of miles (with some two lane roads to cross). Having grown up in a place with endless trees, I have gone days without finding evidence that humans had ever been on this planet, and I live in the Eastern US. We have 10 states with a rural population density of 5 persons per square mile or less, and almost all of those densely packed people live in rural towns.

If you quit spending all your time at Starbucks and the Galleria and go into the wastelands, you'd see that the vast majority of the US is like Mars, or Mars with scrub, grass, or trees.

18. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No need to worry. The people who will do the heavy lifting will have a much more optimistic outlook toward humanity. They will be worth saving even if some others who benefit from the effort will not.

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That whole romance with the idea humans need to go to space to survive... Sigh. Earth is, and will always be, the most human-friendly planet in our reach. Mars, and any other planet in our proximity, is DEAD. You have to live in airtight bunkers, go out in spacesuits. Even if our planet was hit by a catastrophe like a supervolcano, Earth would still be a friendlier environment than that. If you can build autark colonies on Mars and Venus, you can build autark colonies on a catastrophy Earth.
    Then that talk about terraforming. We can't even purposely terraform our own planet.