Sholud The New Series Explored TOS Races more ????

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nero's Shadow, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I've been thinking there was some really good alien races in TOS Like the Andorains and tellerites gorn Tholians.

now I know some of these races will seen in TNG DS9 VOY and ENT but like the vulcans were explained in more detail I'd loved to have seen the Tholians Homeworld and race is more detail and also the gorn could have been a good Enemy in any of the series like TNG DS9 ENT

Your views.....

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I disagree. Oh, I'd have loved to see the Gorn in the other shows, but not as enemies. The point of Arena is that the Gorn are not bad guys, they were only defending themselves against what they viewed as an invasion. I'm sure that by the 24th century the Federation and the Gorn would live in peace, hell DS9 even revealed the Gorn allowed the Federation to re-colonize Cestus III. Even when tie-in materials depict the Gorn as the aggressors, the're still not villains. Even in current novel continuity with the Gorn part of the League of Supervillains* known as the Typhon Pact the Gorn are generally shown to be sympathetic to the Federation and a potential ally.

*Please, no one get pissed off at me for describing the Typhon Pact as a League of Supervillains. I know they're more complicated than that. But I like using that term all the same.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I agree that the Gorn shouldn't really be used as enemies. The problem with the Tholians is that they tend to keep to themselves--they don't like interacting much with non-Tholians (secrecy is kind of their thing, IMO).

An Andorian character on VOY or DS9 would have been nice, though. Tellarites are okay, but they remind me too much of surly and ill-mannered people I know in real life, so I can only take them in small amounts.

4. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Quick answer to the OP's question, yes.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Be interesting to explore the vast middle ground between "friend" and "enemy." The Gorn could be neither friend nor foe, follow a agenda the at time is a odds with the Federation's, but doesn't land them in the basket labeled "enemy."

Enterprise fleshed out the Andorians and the Vulcans a great deal, a new series should do the same with other existing, but little known species. I'd like to know more about those short gold fellow from Journey to Babel.

Nothing would make me happier than completely dropping the Romulans (especially) and the Klingons from view, turning our eyes elsewhere. The same with some of the Federations over used aliens.

Vulcans
    Andorians
    Betazeds

:)

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The real reasons they didn't use some TOS races was because of Royalties. Because of the writing contracts used, the creations that only appeared in one episode were the property of the writer and payment would go to them for every usage in other shows. Any aliens that appeared more than once like the Klingons, Romulans, Vulcan and Andorians were the property of the show and could be easily re-used.

The Andorians didn't appear until ENT because make-up technology to make them look good didn't exist then. We saw a TNG Andorian, and it didn't look good.

7. C.E. Evans

"You are either with us or against us."
    "If you are not with me, then you are my enemy."

I don't think the Federation has good relations with races that are sometimes enemies. Sure, a treaty could be signed to prevent open hostilities between them, but such treaties generally are "you don't mess with us, we won't mess with you" deals in which two sides agree to steer clear of one another.
    Ithenites. A scene was written for one of their ambassadors to appear on Earth in the "Terra Prime" episode of ENT, but it was never filmed.

8. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Sorry about my spelling guys !!! Lol I've always loved the Andorains very strong willed pride and often unpredictable race loved them in ENT ??

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the way I regularly massacre the language, no problem.

10. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

The Romulans have rarely been used properly IMO. For most of TNG they're just these stock villains and the whole 'sort of like Rome' business with the Senate and the Praetor and so forth is just a bit silly. There was some improvement in DS9, though.

In my mind they should be sort of like punk-rock Vulcans. As smart and strong as Vulcans but without the fussiness and humourlessness.

The Klingons are probably here to stay, more's the pity. I am so heartily sick of Klingons I can't really express it. I know they're very popular but they've always just rather bored me.

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

"The real reasons they didn't use some TOS races was because of Royalties."

If they wanted to avoid that they should have come up with a whole new concept. Working with an established franchise, it's to be expected that you're going to bring back familiar things.

BTW, I know this isn't TOS, but I didn't like the switcheroo that was pulled with Deltans vs. Betazoids. I would have liked to see Deltans fleshed out (no pun intended) in the TNG era.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Actually, the Romulans were more just stock characters on DS9. In TNG they got some more fleshing out in episodes, like in "Face of the Enemy" and stuff.

How, exactly? I don't understand what you mean by "new concept".

13. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

It's a long time since I saw that episode, but that and The Defector are the only ones I recall where the Romulans weren't basically antagonists. Even The Next Phase has them being all nefarious and whatnot.

I forget her name, but the female Romulan who came in after the start of the Romulan war - not the one who initially supervised the cloak, the other one - was an example. She was given a little villainish twist because the PLUCKY BAJORANS needed someone to face down, but otherwise she was refreshingly non-villainous, or so I thought.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assume you are referring to Senator Cretak featured in the final season of DS9.

15. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

The most recent of the spin-offs ended eight years ago. Maybe it's time to stop calling them "new".

Anyway, the answer is no. If anything, the spin-offs spent too much time with villains of previous series.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yes which is one of the things I liked about Enterprise.

BTW this art of the Tholian EVA suit is from ST Online:

http://cghub.com/files/Image/333001-334000/333399/357_max.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X-ktxYjzv.../qyr1uImBWM0/s1600/STO_Tholian_EV_Suit_01.jpg

17. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What new series?

18. C.E. Evans

Yeah, I know what you mean, but the OP meant the shows that came after TOS.

19. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Huh.

Enterprise ended about eight years ago. Not exactly new. Just sayin'.

20. C.E. Evans

Newer than TOS, though.