Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TK421, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

BTW, just so you know, there are three complete copies of the film data, each in a different city, so it's relatively impossible for any error to wipe it out. ;)

2. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're just trying to jinx us with a Carrington Event.

3. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

So, does this mean that two other people are working on this along with you? :drool::bolian:

4. Maurice

Well, Jimm Johnson has the master set and both Scott Cummins and I have copies. I also just backed up my current .FCP project files to DVD-ROM as extra safety of my work to date. Safety first!

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'll hold on to a copy if you'd like.

:)

6. Maurice

Sure, I can send you the .FCP file, but minus the footage, it'll tell you nothing!

7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Worth a shot.

8. TerraForm1

TerraForm1 Cadet Newbie

So I routinely did my monthly check of the Starship Exeter website today and discovered the domain has expired... Sad to see this project still incomplete and now suffering the indignity of being homeless. As much as Phase 2 seems to have eclipsed Exeter, this fan film was the one that really got me excited about the new genre. I think it was easier to accept new starfleet characters than re-portraying the classic crew/actors. I wish the Exeter creators well and thank them for what has been shared so far...

9. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Very much this. I had a much easier time with a new crew, and Exeter's FX were crazy awesome. While Phase 2 is alright, this show caputred the feel of 60's era Trek much better IMO. Plus I liked the idea of seeing another crew during this time.

But it is what it is. I look forward to one day seeing the whole thing. Sad to think we won't see any new adventures with this crew.

10. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Also sad to see one of the first and best fan film series go to the big starship in the sky. Maybe someday we'll see the full episode...

11. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

It's been a year since I published this article on Exeter. I really hope to follow it up with a story about the completed episode someday.

12. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So, Maurice....any news? ...tidbits? ....crumbs? ...morsals?

13. Maurice

If the site's down (Jimm sometimes forgets to re-up it), that's no indication of anything. The website's just the website.

I've just been working like mad on paying video work for the past few months (two music videos and I was Coordinator on a short film for UC Berkeley), plus I really needed to get the Polaris rough cut together so that visual effects work could get going, and that took weeks of solid work to make happen (and there's one sequence left to cut). That's the only news. It's really just a matter of free time on my part.

Scott Cummins and I are discussing how to divide up work to finish it. He already recut a short scene that I hadn't dealt with yet.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Yeah the website being down means nothing. As Maurice has explained, he's working on it. That's good enough for me.

The day Maurice or Dennis come in here and officially announce "The show's over, kids." then I'll wallow in my whiskey. Until then, I eagerly await the completion with anticipation and excitement.

16. Maurice

Heh. Well, much as I love Exeter and want to finish it, I only have so many hours in the day to work. In fact, I was so busy that in order to meet the deadline for the "I Will Watch YouTube" music video I had to work 30 hours nonstop to finish it. That's how busy I've been.

I'm currently finishing another music video, and have a film of my own I've been neglecting. Oy!

17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

One thing I've noticed is that about the time I take on a project for friends because I have the time, suddenly work starts piling in from everywhere...odd that...

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I have been looking forward to a completed Exeter, I'm more looking forward to that film you've been neglecting with that really snazzy actor who was once again typcasted as the "hot gay guy." :)

19. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here...It's feast or famine...:vulcan:

...or, all the deadlines are within the same frakkin week! :klingon:

20. crapulus

crapulus Ensign Newbie

So almost a month and a half with no news at all. Is anyone actually gonna call time of death or are we gonna keep pretending?