(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ Yeh I couldn't believe people saying Rio will be capt because he's taken him there. Only reason Rio is there because we need some experience at the back, same reason for Becks to come.

I think the starting line up will be...

Hart

Johnson, Ferdinand, Woodgate, Lescott

Beckham, Gerrard, Barry, Young

Ashton, Agbonlahor

I think we will see Wheater, Huddlestone and Walcott playsome part as well.

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Two bits of news.

Jose Mourinho has been confirmed as Inter Milan's new head coach.

Gretna FC's administrators are now trying to sell the stadium to parties "outside football" and have said that they cannot give a guarantee that the club will fulfill its fixtures next season. They expect the SFL to expell them from the league within the next few days.

3. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to Tutto Mercato Web E'too is going to Inter. :eek:

4. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I think the only reason that Beckham has been named Captain for this match is because he's Jack Warner's favourite player. And the only reason why they're in T&T is to win Jack Warner's 2018 vote.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Two more bits of news.

Manchester United have agreed a fee with Cardiff for Aaron Ramsey, but two other unnamed clubs have also made bids.

Gretna FC have now resigned from the Scottish Football League, effectively ending their existence as a football club.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

More on Ramsey, Arsenal have also had an offer accepted according to BBC Sport.

Being a cynical Gooner, I expect to lose out here unfortunately.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

FC Porto have been thrown out of next season's Champions League due to the corruption and referee bribery allegations from 2004.

8. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

YAY, Benfica in the Champions League - maybe... not...

9. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The problem is Sir Alex will only let him go if he wants and theres nothing Ronaldo can do about that. If I was MAN UTD I would agree a pre deal for next summer of £30-40 million plus Robhino minimum.

11. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree. United are not likely to let a goal scorer like that out the door easily. The question is not if he goes. The question is this year? Next? Or at the end of Ferguson's time? And is an unsettled Ronaldo worthwhile? Maybe. I don't like the player, but he showed mental strength to produce when he really didn't want to be in England, the season after The Wink. So I imagine he can shake off not going to his dream club for another year or so.

12. Daedalus12

United fans probably want £100 + Sergio Ramos and Robinho.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Ramos is good at going forward but defensive wise he is still lacking and would struggle in the PL. However if he worked hard like Evra he could cut it in England. I don't see Madrid letting him go though.

14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I dunno, I think he might see it as he's put in his time after suffering abuse from fans and having his house vandalized, post Wink. He's put his head down, worked hard and has won ManU some pretty major hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if he feels entitled to a move.

If he wanted to stay in ManU for his career, or put in another year, he would have said it right after he won the CL trophy. Instead he was vague and coy, and now this report comes out. Plus I hear Real is prepared to offer an astounding 300k a week salary - nothing to shake your head at.

15. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

Not even misquoting, but complete fabrication. Ronaldo has done one press conferance since he joined the national team after the Champions League.

Scolari said in friday's Euro press conference that Ronaldo won't talk about his fate during the competition. He also went mad at a Spanish reporter that asked if he wasn't being disrespectful with Ferguson about the supposedly recomendation the Portuguese national team coach had given to Ronaldo to go to Real. Scorali said the journalist was the one being a douche as he never said that to Ronaldo.

Meanwhile, in a Portuguese paper, Mourinho stated that if Ronaldo was on the market, Inter should get into the action.

Here is the timeline for this whole deal. Back when he played for Sporting, he said that he had a dream of playing for Real Madrid. That was the end of it.

A few days before the Champions League final, he said to a Portuguese TV program that was doing a sort of cribs like episode on several national team players, that he saw his future in Manchester, no matter what the result of the Champions' final.

This is fact. Now I bet this whole soap opera started when his manager saw that on TV and thought, hey wait a minute, he is the best player in the world, so perhaps a pay raise is in order. So he went to Ronaldo and said, next time you speak about the future, be vague, which is exactly what the kid has been doing since.

16. Daedalus12

Why do you think he'll struggle? He has the pace and is very strong in the air. He has better technique than a lot of midfield players. As long as he doesn't play the CB he'll be fine defensively. Maybe Ramos of a year ago would be shaky but now he is much more matured in that part of his game. He is a natural successor to Paolo Maldini albeit he plays on the right side and has more scoring nous.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I just think he's not that great when it comes to actual defending though I do think he's the best defender for Real Madrid & Spain but thats not saying much since both do leak more goals than they should.

18. Daedalus12

Don't be fooled by the number of goals leaked by Real these last 2 years. Casillas is also a top GK along with Buffon and Cech. Real leak goals because they play a risky scheme with very little protection from the midfield. From the half a dozen Real games I've watched this year Ramos is a top quality defender. In two more years he could even become a top quality CB if he can cut down his tendency to make silly tackles. In fact I say CB is the position that he'll become dominant in.

19. Daedalus12

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Andy Gray doing the color commentary during the Germany Poland game. I didn't know ESPN was trying to get the Martin Tyler/Andy Gray combo but in the end only Andy signed up. Finally we are getting better commentators here in the States and I have to applaud ESPN for that. Now just get rid of Julie Foudy. It's a travesty to have her saying absolutely nothing or just downright the wrong things.

20. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

^ When I was in the States last I was watching Fox Soccer Channel. They use the international feed for EPL games seemingly, and the commentator was none other than Peter Brackley, probably most known thse days from his Pro Evo commentary. It was really odd!