Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kaych, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

And since there are, for those budgetary reasons, so many species that closely resemble humans but aren't, why not have several species that closely resemble Edoans but aren't? I'm itching about the possibility that the Kelvin guy/gal/bem has more than four limbs... But I'd still like to accept the slight differences in jaw and back-of-head shape as indications of different species.

Say, fans of Peter David might take Arex to be Triexian and this new guy to be an actual Edoan.

Timo Saloniemi

2. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I read you correctly, you're mostly agreeing with me. Thing is, this would make a lot more sense if the film did see the TOS-era 2260s (although technically this story apparently fits in the 2250s) as analogous to the design aesthetic of the 1960s, and treated the Enterprise accordingly... rather than skipping several decades.

IOW, an Enterprise that looks a lot more like a direct descendant of the Kelvin—and thus a lot more like the TOS version—would make a lot more sense.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Here's an extreme close-up of the post-First Contact / 2067 / UESPA--era delta shield emblem as used on early warp ships and deep space probes of the era preceding the creation of Starfleet and the time of Jonathan Archer.

Makes one wonder if the first UESPA symbol wasn't drawn up by Zefram Cochrane himself after remembering what the commbadges on the Enterprise-E officers looked like. A silent nod to their efforts to save Earth and Cochrane's first flight from the Borg.

http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/7x21/friendshipone_004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

^ eddie, don't hotlink images! :mad:

5. cooleddie74

MY BAD. Didn't intend to...thanks for fixing it.

6. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

A leading zero on a starship registry!?!

[​IMG]

7. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

That depends of who's saying it. A US Marine might call them Naval aircraft. A dude from Venezuela would probably call them American aircraft.

That's why you have Klingons using terms like "Federation Starship" not "Starfleet Starship".

Funny that, I believe even Kirk called the Enterprise "Federation Starship Enterprise" at least once, although I could be mistaken.

8. cooleddie74

In STAR TREK III, we even learn that the Klingons consider and classify Constitution-class starships as "Federation Battle Cruisers." The one and only time we hear this classification being used by the Empire in the entire franchise.

9. M'Sharak

Re: A leading zero on a starship registry!?!

Yes, I believe that's been pointed out, once or twice before. ;)

I'll move this over to the Kelvin thread, 'cause it's a nice picture. Hold on to the safety bar...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  10. xoEJox

xoEJox Lieutenant Red Shirt

For the few who don't know, let us not forget the real world example of something awesome, the logo for the USAF Space Command:

[​IMG]

Somebody in charge is paying attention. :techman:

11. M'Sharak

^ One of quite a number of real-world entities to have used a stylized delta-and-stars motif.

Here's another: [​IMG]

12. cooleddie74

And I do believe that ENTERPRISE's prequel-era Starfleet Command emblem was designed to partially resemble the old NASA logo. With the more abstract-looking arrowhead tilted on its side.

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Good catch. This line would also seem to clearly illustrate that 'battle cruiser' is a preferred Klingon term for their own so-designated D7 and K'tinga spacecraft as well.

14. cooleddie74

That exposes more of how Klingons view so much of their universe in martial, military terms. To the Federation, a starship like the Enterprise is simply a vessel of peaceful exploration and diplomacy that just happens to be bristling with state-of-the-art defensive weaponry. To the Empire? Even the craft of science and knowledge fall into ascending or descending scales of ability to fight and kill.

15. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

1. Unless there is some change in the timeline at this point.

2. Depending on what metaphors the design team and JJ have in mind. I've argued elsewhere here that the metaphor for the new old E is found in Uhura. In this, Uhura is young and sexy, yet classy. The curved edges and firm nacelles on the new E follow the lines of a young woman, whereas the TOS Enterprise is a more mature, but still young woman, very like Uhura was in TOS.

Uhura is and always has been the voice of the Enterprise. Think of The Tholian Web--she saw Kirk first, remember. Remember how she reacted. That's very like the Enterprise would react to finding her captain again. Uhura isn't just a receptionist, she is the Enteprise embodied in a person. In this movie, Uhura has a lot of attitude who has her defenders but is able to hook any man she wants - but not any man will do. She won't let Kirk have her, because she's too much woman for him to handle, yet she'll give him a peek - because she can, and she knows she can, then she'll toss him out on his ear.

That's also the way the Enterprise comes across in this movie. This is the Enteprise in sexy lingerie, showing her curves and the power she has over men. The TOS Enterprise is the Enteprise in a miniskirt and boots, but with class and power, yet having found her man, Kirk. TMP Enterprise is the Enterprise in a pantsuit, wrapped in newness and mystery, hoping Kirk will captain her, if only for a time. TWOK Enteprise is the Enteprise in middle age, going about her business, becoming a teacher for the younger set. TSFS Enteprise is the Enteprise, bruised and battered, yet ready to escape spacedock and decommissioning the way Uhura is ready to throw Mr. Adventure in the closet for one final mission. Uhura sitting at that console, with Mr. Adventure talking about the winding down of her career strikes me as a strong parallel to the Enterprise sitting in spacedock hearing talk of her eventual decommissioning, with Excelsior sitting across from her. Mr Adventure is to Excelsior what Uhura is to Enteprise. In short, Uhura and her role in both TV and film, as a character, tracks to Enterprise in every incarnation.

IMO, JJ and Co. are conscious of this. So, here, the design aesthetic for the E can't be tied in rote fashion to the 50's/60's aesthetic. It also has to be indexed to the way Uhura will be portrayed.

16. dougkeenan

dougkeenan Commander Red Shirt

This talk stirs my loins. Well put.

17. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Nope, I would call it AVION GRINGO IMPERIALISTA or AVION NORTE-AMERICANO or GRINGO PLANE

yes!

18. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

:guffaw:

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Sorry, just saw this thread, and the Kelvin info from the first post.

I just wanted to say I really do like the shuttle designs on the Kelvin. They look very TOS to me, very box like, they actually look great.

I also like that the alien is from the Beta quadrant, we don't hear about the Beta quadrant much.

20. cooleddie74

Even in the late 24th century little of the Beta Quadrant has been mapped. Several long-term starship missions into the quadrant were launched during the Picard/Sisko/Janeway period, one of which we learned of in "The Sound of Her Voice(DS9)".