Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, May 20, 2012.

1. Admiral Rex

Admiral Rex Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was trying to decide what to read tonight. This thread decided it for me. I'm going to download this issue right now, because I think it's exciting to read the first published fiction of the Enterprise F and its new captain.

Star Wars Insider has fiction in each issue. I wish they will do the same with Star Trek Magazine. They are the same publisher, right? Titan?

2. Admiral Rex

Admiral Rex Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just read the short story. Definitely ends on a cliffhanger. Will there be a part 2?

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I hope not - I don't want to have to keep paying that much for a few dozen words of fiction...

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The magazines have plenty of other cool stuff in them.

If you're not prepared to pay that much to read a story ASAP, then wait a while and buy your copy second hand.

You could probably also make your money back (or more!) selling the magazine yourself - after you've read it - on eBay, to a fan who lives in an area where it's hard to buy the issue at retail.

5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

For you maybe.

For me, I've not brought copy in years as the cost compared with the quantity of what's inside has been too high for my taste for several years now.

But I guess not every one isn't as picky as me when it comes to Trek branded goods.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I feel the same way about the magazine and the comic book offerings of late from IDW.

7. Therin of Andor

Finally received my copy of this issue with "Shakedown" (pages 62-65). Love that, in the accompanying crew dossier, that an adult Kirayoshi O'Brien is featured, along with female Caitian security chief Kyona.

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Perhaps this and the subsequent short story should have a review/spoiler thread of their own? ;)

Btw, what is the story about? Data and Shon talking with one another or is there also something else?

The Andorian Shon as captain of the Enterprise is a good step away from the usually male Human-infested center seat, Imho. Also, being Andorian makes him the first non-heterosexual captain. :bolian:

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If you mean captain of a ship named Enterprise, then you're probably right, but beyond that, there has been at least one lesbian captain in the literature already, Captain Margaret Sinclair-Alexander from Crucible. And T'Prynn was a captain in the alternate timeline of A Less Perfect Union. We've certainly seen Andorian ship commanders before as well, notably Shran.

10. Markonian

Of course, the Enterprise; I was imprecise.

Now that I think of it, I can't remember any other LGBT captains (or admirals) besides the ones you named. The latest was (if we count all Andorians) Commander Zhrar from Fallen Gods. Oh, and there are the suddenly lesbian encounters in the MU as well.

11. Therin of Andor

Without spoilers: as you might imagine from the title, "Shakedown", the new ship is about to go on its routine, initial shakedown cruise when it's called into battlestations.

12. Markonian

Ah, I see. So it has a cliffhanger that leads straight into the STO mission "Boldly They Rode", the finale of the story arc featuring the lost Dominion fleet taking over DS9.

13. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

Y'all are forgetting about Ro Nevin on the U.S.S. Odyssey.

Okay it's not trek lit... but...

14. Therin of Andor

I had to look it up with Google
    http://en.hiddenfrontier.com/index.php/Ro_Nevin

but why would fan films even come into the picture when we are discussing officially licensed short stories linked to "Star Trek Online"?

15. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

The topic of LGBT starfleet captains came up, and I acknowledged it's not licensed lit but I thought it was worth a mention.

16. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has there been any more short fiction in the magazine lately?

17. Psi'a Meese

Psi'a Meese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The magazine is released once every two months. So February/March has not yet been released.

I missed the first of Thompson's stories published there. I did read Shakedown in the December/January issue while browsing at B&N. I liked what I read. Some good set-up there. However, it was just too short an entry to warrant the magazine's price. As hardcore a Trekkie as I've been over the years, for close to ten dollars I would expect a bi-monthly magazine to be have more meat on the bones. There just wasn't enough interesting content. Save the short-short story.

I would prefer that this story be teaser toward a full-length novel. Although, I expect more sprinkling through the magazine instead.

18. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if they continue telling this story basically one chapter at a time if they can eventually republish it all as a novel, kind of like they did with Starfleet: Year One.