Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

SO looking forward to seeing what the 2199 Andromeda looks like.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The compilation film "Voyage of Rememberance" will have new footage added according to Yamato2199.net

http://yamato2199.net/info/special/169/

At least stuff to correct errors in the Battle of the Rainbow Cluster.

The film will also have a North American release later in Los Angeles on October 24th.

3. 137th Gebirg

That soon? Very cool!

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, wait - are they doing a new standalone film with a new story that takes place during the Yamato's return to Earth from Iscandar (which is what I originally thought was reported in Japan); or is it now just a compilation film taken from the 26 episodes with some new footage created here and there?

Or are there going to be two films - one the compilation, and the second an original 'new' (within the existing 2199 continuity) story?:confused:

5. Ithekro

There are going to be two films:

"Voyage of Rememberance" is the compilation film that is to retell Yamato 2199's story (the 26 episodes) in one film. It comes out in October for the 40th Anniversary of Space Battleship Yamato.

The second film is called "Ark of the Stars". It is a new film set during the return trip from Iscandar, where Yamato will encounter elements of the Comet Empire's fleet. This film comes out in December.

6. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sadly there isn't any hope of me seeing these until a BD release. Looking forward to it though.

7. Ithekro

The BD release for the first of the films is confirmed to have English subtitles. Release date is November 21, 2014.

The second is assumed to have them as well, but there is no information of its BD release as of yet. If the release schedule is similar to above, the release should be around January 17, 2015, but could be a few weeks later, depending on how long it is in theaters.

8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like Star Blazers has been licensed as a live action movie property by the people who produced WarZ.

Although given the track record with anime adaptations in Hollywood, I think this will come out around the same time as the Akira movie.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still chuckling about the possibility of Chris Pine being in this movie given the similarities between Akira and Where No Man Has Gone Before.

10. Ithekro

Again? We've had rumors of such a film running with scripts for a decade or two now.

If they do one, lets hope they don't try to Americanize everything about it (Yamto becomes Argo would remain fine, but using Arizona instead would be right out. One of the Iowa-class, maybe, but that still drifts a bit, and the Japanese probably would hate it) or turn it into a Lord of the Flies style story like some of the scripts seem to want to do.

I would hope the Gamilons remain humanoid in this version. It was slightly odd having them be energy beings or something in the Japanese Live Action film.

Though if the article on the subject matter is correct, the guy making it is a large fan of the old show...so maybe he will be respectful. One can only hope for a Yamato 2199-like version, where a live action Star Blazers is pulled off respectfully and in the spirit of the show (rather than going wide with it, or massively alternate universe with it, or moderately silly live action cartoony like several other cartoon to live action films were like in the 1990s and 2000s).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  11. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hah, yeah, I'll believe that when I see it, same with the Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Robotech, and Battle Angel movies. :rofl:

12. Ithekro

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just dropping in to say that I've finally started watching 2199 after following this thread since last year; also it's been a year since I saw some mighty awesome ship models while in Japan. Now I'm wishing I'd picked some up!

The renewed series is quite the awesome experience - true anime space adventure, and no modern anime angst dragging down the plot. I'm a big fan of straight-up sci-fi anime, and while there are plenty of good ones around these days (I'm a big Gundam / Macross fan), there is something to be said with a proper retro redux maintaining the feel-goodness of the original like this. The space battles thus far are incredible, and I'm hardly taken out of the show by the weird science. It's a really fun ride.

I've watched through episode 4, but this morning I located an episode of the original show (only saw the odd episode of Star Blazers on TV back in the early 80s) and was surprised how closely the new show matches it beat for beat. Can't tamper too much with perfection, I suppose... Will be watching this one through in one go, a couple episodes a day I hope. Looking good. :)

Mark

14. Ithekro

The matching almost beat for beat lasts more or less until episode 8 in Yamato 2199. It matches up with episode 11 of the original, more or less. The shows start to deviate more after that as new plot elements and adjustements start to take hold. Some of the adjustments are to fix plot holes in the original and others are to make use of advancements in the last 40 years, both in terms of technology and society, particularly with the women on the ship.

The show will still cross paths with the older beats as it goes along, also catching beats from some of the manga made for the show back in the 70s. Some of which were dropped plot elements from when the show was going to be 39 episodes long rather that 26. Also a few of the sillier 70's era plots were removed and replaced with more serious plots. Also the repeated plot point and slow bits were removed when possible, as the early part of the original show was designed for when it was going to be 39 episodes long. They increased the pace after episode 10 when they show was cut down by 13 episodes. About the only thing missing that was actually missed was the famous asteroid ring defense system (they only used it twice in the all the series and films, though they called back to it with Yamato flying through rings of asteroids on launch in some of the later films).

One thing that Yamato 2199 does that the original did not do was develop the Gamilons as a race and the characters behave like people rather than stock villains (be they honorable villains, card carrying baddies, or bumbling morons). Aside from Desslok, most were of those types. I didn't feel sorry for Ganz in the original since he was close to the bumbling enemy type in the orignial with flashes of competance. In Yamato 2199, I feel sorry for the guy. He's just a soldier doing his duty for his family and nation. He's also competent, just entirely outclassed. He's use to the Earth ships being rather pathetic, and just does not have the resources to deal with Yamato even with some inspired improvised weaponry (Rommel would be impressed).

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the director who pitched the idea of a Starblazers movie is a fan, but we'll see if this goes anywhere. I'm not really sure if you could compress the story of the series in a 2 hour movie anyway, without basically doing what the Japanese movie did and coming up with a wacky second half.

As for 2199, it really does do almost everything right. The humans aren't all heroes, and the Gamilons aren't all villains. It has a lot more depth that what we see in live action nowadays.

16. 137th Gebirg

I also especially enjoyed the way Gamilon is truly shown as an "empire", with different races of people, some of which are considered "second class citizens" and how they seek to improve their lives and that of their families through military service. Hence, the different skin colors. Still never understood why Desslock's skin changed from tan to blue in the original. Although, I do have a scan from the Official Yamato Fact Files that may explain it (but I can't read Japanese). If anyone out there wants to take a crack at translating it, I can post the page. :)

17. Ithekro

The Gamilons turned blue as an order from the Producer to the staff. He felt at that later point that the Gamilons needed to be less human so that the audiance wouldn't have empathy for them as easily as it they had a human skin tone.

Being Japan, you don't argue with the boss directly. One's proper station and all that. But instead of just having Desslok be blue starting in episode 11, the artists decided to have a transition from what they had before to the blonde with blue skin. The idea was that "maybe he had been filmed with bad lighting and filters in the earlier episodes, but this is what he really looks like".

It was the best they could do with their orders without just having it just be different with no attempt to show a reason for it happening. It be like if the Klingons were in more episodes of Star Trek and after a half dozen appearances, they decided to add the headridges during the first season of TOS, or the middle of the second season. With no explaination, we get Kor back and he has ridges from one week to the next.

At least when they did that for the Klingons it had be a decade and was in an expensive movie, then they kept it, with variations, as if nothing had happened. Leaving it to the audiance imagination....until Kor, Kang, and Koloth appeared on DS9 with ridges. Then questions happened (the assumption was that the ridges were always there, just they couldn't afford in the 60s). Then of course "Trials and Tribblations" we see both types of Klingons with the modern humans not knowing the older ones were Klingons at all, with only a "We don't discuss that with outsiders" line. We did get an explaination eventually in Enterprise though. Now imagine if that switch was from one episode to the next....that's what happened to the Gamilons.

A similar thing happened to the Trill, but they had only ones previous appearance before Dax arrived with a new look., making the first appearance the one-off to all other Trill appearances. Besides Terry Farrell probably wouldn't look as good with that other makeup.

18. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I would love to see an English speaking version of this movie, but I think Americans would mess it up.

19. Ithekro

Even so there is a mountain of stuff from Japan these last few years with more on the way.

Hopefully we will get an announcement witht the second film in Decemeber about even more coming next year.

20. Ithekro

This appeared (someplace) on Twitter. 3D graphics of the new ships to be used in the up coming Ark to the Stars movie. (Gotten via the Yamato2199 facebook page)

Looks like, Yamato found that other craft they use to use all the time. (also the Wave Motion Gun is sealed up in this movie).

The Gamilas have a Battlecarrier with a new paint job.

The Comet Empire ships seen in Episode 11 (which were hand-drawn rather than CGI) get 3D CG images to match those of Earth and Gamilas.

And they get their new flagship, armed with the "Impact Flame Gun".

[​IMG]