Blu-Ray vs DVD

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Buster, May 14, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    There's also no reason not to keep my special edition DVD if I buy the BluRay. :)

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I've kept my 2-disc DC DVD set for completest purposes!

3. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Oh I would definitely keep the DE of TMP, since it so unique. It has some great extras that were made for it and of course the DE version of the movie that doesn't exist elsewhere.

I have kept my TMP DE for that reason.

As LOKAI of CHERON said, the Blu-ray presentation is the one to watch for the sheer resolution/detail and the awesome lossless audio track, it really lets Goldsmith's soundtrack breathe.

4. Belz...

Yes, TMP is one of the very few movies of my relatively impressive 750+ DVD collection that I wanted to upgrade to HD, specifically because I want to see the Enterprise in hi-def, and it's the only one of those movies I haven't upgraded yet because I wasn't sure about the cut. I think I'll buy it, now.

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I would love to see most of the deleted scenes from the new Star Trek films inserted into a director's cut DVD, including the birth of Spock and the confrontation between Amanda and Sarek over how Spock's being picked on from the first, and whatever was cut out of the current movie.

6. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are the blu-rays true HD or just up-converted from SD? If not true HD are there any plans to go back to the original negatives and do it properly? Should I hold on to my money?

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to know this as well!! I'm considering buying the Stardate Collection on BR, but only if I'm actually getting proper HD.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

What I've heard (at least in regards to the TOS film set) is that they are actually true HD, but they are scans (maybe 2K?) that were done about a decade ago to be the hi-res sources for the DVD masters.

So yes they are, but they wouldn't be able to match the quality of a transfer that was done in the last year or two, such as the work currently being done on TNG.

9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm holding off on buying the blu-rays of the films, because I fully expect them to get a fully-remastered re-release at some point, including the extended cut versions of TMP, TWOK and TUC.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

Yes, this is certainly on the cards, but I'd say it's at least another couple of years away - if not more. The current BD's are light years ahead of their present/antecedent home video rivals. They are comfortably the finest method of watching the movies at this point.

It all comes down to a question of how long you're prepared to wait I guess - personally, I've been enjoying these discs since release in 2009. YMMV of course, but I've always had an "enjoy it now" type outlook - fully aware of the transitory nature of home video formats! I would estimate Blu-ray Disc is minimally halfway into its lifecycle already!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I see this as a fundamental truth. :) And it seems as if technology is progressing now as such a rapid rate, every format is likely to be surpassed by "the next big thing" a lot quicker than the formats that preceeded them. DVD was a slow burn really. It took the best part of ten years (and it was really TV-on-DVD that sold it to people, not the lure of owning movies) for it to even begin making an impact on the broader market. In my view Blu-Rays are already facing stiff competition from the likes of online services and other digital methods of watching/owning movies... I don't expect they'll have the shelf life that DVDs did, even taking into account that Blu Ray has been around for a while now already...

I'm such an old codger though, I like owning something I can sit on a shelf and admire. Digital downloads are more convenient, but they aren't nearly as satisfying. :(

12. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I have seen these films a million times, I don't need to watch them more than once a year now. If that. The DVDs are fine for me until something is released that I deem worth my money.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

+1!

I'll always prefer the physical media - even though I take uncompressed rips for viewing on media players with TV box sets. I'd be OK with downloads/streaming if the quality was up to par with Blu-ray - which it most certainly isn't at this point.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I won't be surprised if we don't see remastered versions of the older Trek films until the next home video format comes around. 4K?

15. LOKAI of CHERON

Yep, I think that's a distinct possibility. Personally, I think Ultra High Definition (UHD) at 4K will be the next popular "leap forward" for home video - certainly, it's just not happening for 3D here in the UK at the moment... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22886822 ...see the end of the article.

Paramount will almost certainly strike 4K masters for the catalogue Trek movies, it's just a case of when, and whether, they'll subsequently release 2K BD's from those masters to market.

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, as long as it means that the current BluRay's look and sound better then the current dvd's, the investment is worth it for me.

17. Belz...

Why go halfway in when you can go 8K ? ;)

18. LOKAI of CHERON

Mage, trust me, they most certainly look and sound significantly better than the DVD's! Even TVH, which is arguably the weakest transfer in the set, is waaay ahead of the DVD. You will not be disappointed if you invest.

19. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I upgraded to the Blus, and find them to be very good overall.

Certainly TMP and TWOK are both well encoded (strange color issue with Regula on TWOK the only issue I have).

In my view, the only thing that needs tackling movie wise is to redo the work on the Directors Edition and present that on Blu-Ray.

They look and sound great to me, and the reviews, though not overstating their case in context, do not provide an accurate impression of this aspect of their presentation.

As a Star Trek and movie fan, I am not above picking nits, and while not 100% perfect, they are still very good presentations of the films.

If you have a Blu-ray player, I recommend going that route.

20. Belz...

Well I just got the BluRay version of TMP today, for now the only old Trek movie I had the intention of upgrading to HD. I checked out the image and it looks very nice. Going to watch the whole thing tomorrow morning and see how the original cut holds up.