Dracula - NBC

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Taylirious, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_(TV_series)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jVcmDH43Y[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jVcmDH43Y

Thought it was good...and it premiered good. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...i-five-0-flat-dracula-has-solid-debut/211457/

Was waiting for The Huntress to take down Dracula! :p Anyway...pretty good. :)

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it was certainly a unique take on the characters from the novel. i'm curious as to where everything is going so i'll keep watching.

3. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought the blonde huntress was the coolest character on the show.

Enjoyed the pilot overall and the premise seems perfect for a limited run series. My hope is that the show producers are able to maintain the high quality look of the show for the remaining nine episodes (and that the Lady Jane character sticks around for the remaining nine as well).

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, and yawn.

The only rise I got was when I realised that it was a Bend it like Beckem reunion.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much as Sleepy Hollow or The Originals, but I liked it enough to stick with it.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it, even though it was so radically divorced from Stoker's novel that I suspect it began as an unrelated concept (probably a Tesla-esque inventor versus a secret society that ruled the world) that had Dracula grafted onto it as a marketable hook.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I have trouble getting past the music, especially the horribly anachronistic percussion in the supposedly diegetic dance music at Drac/Grayson's reception. Honestly, that didn't sound remotely like anything people would have danced to in the 1890s, or ever. It sounded like wallpaper music in "ominous" mode, so it threw me for a loop when I realized it was supposed to be what the characters were dancing to.

I'm also not clear on whom to root for. Is Dracula, a serial killer, supposed to be the hero? He's certainly not as devoid of charisma as Jessica DeGouw (Arrow's Huntress) as Mina or Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the most annoying Jonathan Harker I've ever seen. They and Van Helsing are usually the characters we're supposed to root for, but here VH is working with Dracula. So I'm not sure there are any genuine good guys here, at least none that aren't boring.

I do find it interesting that practically nobody in the cast is using their native accent. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is an Irishman doing both American and English accents (though why not a Transylvanian one?). DeGouw is Australian doing English. Katie McGrath (Lucie) and Victoria Smurfit (Jane) are Irish doing English. Nonso Anozie (Renfield) is English doing American. Kretschmann is German doing Dutch (I suppose). Michael Nardone (Kruger) is English doing German. The only lead actor using his real accent is Jackson-Cohen — yet oddly his is the accent that sounds the most fake to me.

I did like seeing Jonathan using a typewriter -- though really it should've been Mina. In the Stoker novel, Mina's typewriter is practically one of the main characters, as it enables her to type up and organize various notes and interviews and thus help Jonathan and Van Helsing piece together the mystery and identify and track Count Dracula. Heck, the novel is practically an extended typewriter commercial.

8. Allyn Gibson

After one hour, he does seem like the tragic anti-hero of the piece. Meyers says that, no, Dracula is the villain of the piece, but it doesn't feel that way yet. Right now, he seems like a character working to destroy the secret cabals that control the world.

I'd rate Rafe Spall in the BBC's 2006 Dracula as worse. Nothing about that production is worth speaking of. :)

Somehow, I don't think fidelity to the novel is what the producers had in mind. :)

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]

10. Christopher

^I don't think I've actually seen that one.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Be thankful then...

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's not as bad as some make it out to be.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The actress playing Luci reminded me strikingly of Kiera Knightly.

14. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I gave it a go because I heard Robert Bathurst was going to be in it.
    But I found myself switching off part way through the episode I'm not sure if its the writing or because I'm feeling like crap.
    But because its only 9 eps I will probably stick with it.

16. Christopher

Katie McGrath (Lucie) is the one cast member I'm most familiar with, since she was Morgana in Merlin up until last year. I was surprised to see her here as a blonde. And disappointed that she doesn't have a larger role. She's a much more impressive actress than DeGouw.

17. Allyn Gibson

I always thought Katie was the weakest link in the Merlin cast. :)

I found her utterly unrecognizable in Dracula, but I expected that. Her promo pics didn't look at all like her (not just her hair color, her face seemed different), and she was inflecting her voice in such a way that she didn't sound like Morgana at all.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Apparently Katie McGrath is a natural blonde. And yeah, she did look like Keira Knightley in one shot.

Gary Oldman as Drel-cool-ya... It's been a while but I liked it when I saw it.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Let's be honest. Jonathan Harker is a pretty thankless role. You're doomed to be cuckolded by Dracula and upstaged by Van Helsing. Quick, without consulting IMDB, who played Jonathan in the Bela Lugosi movie? In the Hammer Films version? In the Frank Langella version? In the Louis Jourdan version? In the Jack Palance version?

Nobody remembers Jonathan . . . .

And I confess I didn't recognize Katie McGrath at all, until Allyn pointed it out on-line.

20. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

Did anyone here take a look at the Dracula Rising animated web prequel?

(The video is limited to the United States only, and the Canadian broadcaster for the series hasn't added it to their website for the series.)