THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

:guffaw:

I can actually see PJ doing that, too.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he'll be playing a troll.

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Niiice.... :techman: !

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I don't know how Bilbo could walk though that tunnel with all that Smaug in it. :techman:

5. The Nth Doctor

More Cumberbatch news (just when you didn't think there would be more):

Benedict Cumberbatch Voicing Smaug AND The Necromancer!

Oh, yeah, and Luke Evans (not, unfortunately, David Tennant) is Bard the Bowman.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Smaug and the Necromancer? Nice. :techman:

I was never on the 'Tennant as Bard' bandwagon. He's too skinny and scrawny, IMO.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Isn't a bard a minstrel or something? The guy shot an arrow. There's no reason he couldn't be scrawny. But it doesn't particularly matter to me either way.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

A Bard is a storyteller, modern day would generally refer to a writer specifically, I believe

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

His name is Bard, but he's not a bard. And, IIRC, to be any good at archery (at least prior to modern compound bows with all the fancy technology) you usually needed good upper body strength.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  10. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, but I could still see Tennant filling that role. You don't need to be hulking to fit the role.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

More like a Ranger/tracker, wasn't he?

12. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Bard is a warrior.

You know--I don't think I've ever actually read The Hobbit. But my Dad read it to me as a bedtime story, when I was five, and I listened to the audio version of the animated movie repeatedly as a kid.

In the movie, at least Bard introduces himself as Bard the Guardsman.

And I still remember...

...his speech to the Black Arrow, right before he looses it at Smaug.

"Black Arrow, you've never failed me. And I've always recovered you. I had you from my father, and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true King under the Mountain...go now, and speed well!"

I should really sit down and read this book before the movie comes out.

If anyone's interested--one of my colleagues, Dr. Janice Liedl, is currently editing a collection of essays on The Hobbit and History, which is scheduled to come out around the same time as the movie. I was talking to her in her office the other day about historical parallels between the Elves and the Byzantines.

(Apparently, a volume on The Hobbit and Philosophy has already been finished--they're just waiting to release it to tie in with the movie.)

Dr. Liedl really seems to have found her niche with this Pop Culture and History series. She has also contributed an essay to Twilight and History and two essays to the volume on Harry Potter and History.

She's also co-editing an upcoming volume on Star Wars and History. She's invited me to submit proposals to these volumes, and to the volume on Star Trek, but I couldn't think of anything interesting or significant to say. :(

13. Alidar Jarok

Ooh, good point about what he is (also, a great line). Like I said, I don't overly care who they cast. Just that I wouldn't have found a skinny guy unconvincing.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

He was called in the book Bard the Bowman, known to be a skilled archer and a captain of the guard of Esgaroth.

15. The Nth Doctor

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check out The Hobbit and History when it comes out (if I remember).

And now for some more news!

Evangeline Lilly to play a woodland elf

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I wasn't thrilled with the old rumors of Saoirse Ronan playing a similar character and I love that actress. I'm not a big fan of Lilly (but maybe that's because I hate Kate Austen), but I'm more against the idea of adding such a character. Only time will tell.

16. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as she's only a background character in the visit to the Elevenking's halls in Mirkwood I can deal with it. If you can accept adding Legolas then other Elves not seen onpage would be fine with me as long as they're not too disruptive.

And I don't hate Kate as much as some do [I'd rank her below the Scarlett O'Hara mark on the annoying scale :devil:] but I'm more than willing to separate my admiration for her on aesthetic grounds from Kate's idiocies.

i.e., she'l look hot in pointy ears, methinks. :D

17. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't be surprised if either Tauriel or Orlando frees the dwarves.

Again with the casting of the same actor to play two separate parts, as seen in the case of Rhys-Davies. Is PJ just trying to save money or something?

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Colour me excited! Barry Humphries is in this too! Have loved this gal since I was a kid.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I thought Evangeline Lilly was going to take time off to be a mother. She just had a baby.