Will trek ever have a "new" character

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by RB_Kandy, Aug 17, 2012.

1. RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy Commander Red Shirt

When we see our new Star Trek series, I am curious to know who the breakout character will be.

You see, every series aside from Enterprise, had that one magnificent character who became very popular with the show. Interestingly, all series had that one really annoying character as well.

The characters that have become fan favorites in each series was:
    Spock, from TOS
    Data, from TNG
    Quark, from DS9
    Seven Of Nine, from Voy.

The reason these characters became so big, is because they offered something new, something "alien". On a show that's all about flying through space meeting aliens, the one interesting thing is that the aliens didn't seem so alien to us. Sure they looked different, but other than that they were mostly relatable.

Spock was something we hadn't seen before, a smart humanoid creature that had no emotion.
    Sure we seen robots in sci fi, but these robots were normally good at math, and magical things computers are apparently good at, but they were stupid in every other way.
    It was fascinating to see a highly intelligent living being, who didn't talk in a robot voice, exist without emotion, and yet still behave in a way that was relatable (as opposed to a silver box shaped robot flailing his arms and speaking all monotone).
    An interesting thing was the morality angle: without emotion, how can you know what is moral? Would you be amoral without emotion? If you followed a religion, than your only moral comprehension would be your interpretation of a written morality.
    But if you used only logic, was morality a logical thing?
    This is interesting, and I think it's one of the reasons Spock was appealing to us.

Then came Data. Data was like Spock only with the difference that he deeply wanted to be human, and simply could not be. Unlike Spock who didn't care to sit around hearing and telling jokes, Data wanted to hear jokes, he wanted to understand them, and to know what made something funny. And he wanted to tell jokes, but without emotion, the best he could do is spout a pre-written joke in a serious voice, as if he were giving a lecture on the history of botany. But what of his morality? He was programed with a code of ethics with his positronic brain and thus a reference to Asimov robot morality principals which are as such:
    1. A robot must not harm a human being or through inaction allow a human to come to harm.
    2. A robot must obey the commands given it by a human except where such commands would conflict with the first law.
    3. A robot must protect its own existence except where that would conflict with the first two laws.

Data had the same quality as Spock, he could exist without emotion, yet provoke emotion in the audience.

Then came Quark. Quark had feelings, but his code of morality was so alien to everything we knew about morality.
    Bravery and honesty were not good and noble. Being really good at deception was noble.
    The Ferengi society was a greed based culture that objectified women, making them property, and placing the most patriarchal misogynist standards on them.
    It would appear that Ferengi are the opposite of our morals, and yet, there is a code of conduct, and we do see some Ferengi, such as Quark, being "the good guy" in spite of his bizarre code of morality.

Then came Seven Of Nine. She was more like Data and Spock in that she wasn't a social person ruled and control by emotional impulses. But unlike Spock, her emotional regulation wasn't the result of a disciplined mind, and unlike Data, she was able to feel emotion.
    She chose to self segregate from the rest of the crew, and for the longest time didn't want to be human, and then slowly began exploring what it is to be human, and the audience was taken on a ride with her self discovery. There was also a moral conflict that lingered in the background, only showing itself a few times, that moral conflict was doing what is right for the majority, and doing what is right for a minority you cared more about. The collective vs the independent.

It is unfortunate that Enterprise never had such a character. We had what was supposed to be a sexy female Spock, but just ended up being really annoying.

The only character on Enterprise I felt was interesting was Hoshi.
    She was a beautiful woman that wasn't playing the role of tight spandex and leather catsuit type of sexy, she was just naturally beautiful and wore the same clothes as everyone else. They never tried to turn her character into the smoking hot woman bending and contorting her body like a female comic book character, or turning her into a sexy dominatrix.
    As for her personality, she was full of anxiety, easily frightened and had phobias.
    The closest thing we'd seen to that in Trek was Lt. Barclay and his social anxiety and social awkwardness.
    But Hoshi had a different kind of fear, a sort of fear we could relate to. The ship starts shaking and she gets afraid. Well, she wasn't a highly disciplined soldier, she was just a linguistics teacher, the average person. If you put me in a star ship and said "OK, we're new to space flight, but we're confident this ship will fly at warp speed with no problem" and when you take off the ship starts shaking, yeah I'd be scared too.
    And the time she screamed when she seen that alien strung upside down having it's body fluids pumped out on an alien spaceship. She screamed in fright, and then spent the rest of the episode angry at herself for being cowardly. But what else is to be expected from her, she's not a highly trained astronaut or soldier. And seeing what she seen was in fact very scary. And to know who ever did might be coming back any minute now, is very frightening.
    I could relate to her. How many people in the real world can walk aboard an alien spaceship, see dead bodies strung upside down having their body fluids pumped out of them, and not get scared?
    She was also unique in that showing a cowardly female was a bit risky in the age of girl power. It seems to me that every show had to have a woman who either had super powers, or was beating up men. Tough strong women were in style throughout the 90's and especially the first decade of the 2000's.
    So Hoshi was something different on TV, and yet, a person we could identify with.
    There wasn't much of a morality struggle, but there was a struggle with emotion. Her desire to do her job, and yet all the fear and phobias she had to battle to do it.
    The only reason she didn't become the breakout character is because the writers simply shoved her in the background after the first season. She eventually just became another Uhura.

And so the question now is, what would it take for a breakout character in a new Trek?

Certainly we can create all sorts of alien characters that have two hearts, or evolved from plant life, or has x-ray vision. But none of those things makes the personality unique. And a unique personality must also be intriguing.

Will we ever have another unique character or have we exhausted all the ideas?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They all examine humanity as outsiders. So they really quit being original after Spock. But we will of course have a similar character in the next series, it's a staple of Trek.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise had Shran.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can't really predict who the breakout characters will be, practically by definition. Breakout characters have grown beyond the roll that was originally envisioned for them, because of feedback from the audience. That feedback doesn't occur until the show airs.

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I didn't find Seven a new and interesting character. She started off as being someone of interest, who could have had an interesting arc, but turned into the cause or solution of almost every single episode. After a season of that I just got fed up with her.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Hell, it doesn't it even have to be an alien character. I thought Trip was a standout on Enterprise just because he was more of down to Earth than we usually see on Star Trek.

To answer your question. If there is a new series I could definitely see a "new" character. Sometimes even the acting ability can transcend the writing. (See Picardo, Robert)

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. There was nothng in the original bible for Voyager to indicate that the EMH was going to be a breakout character, but then the writers discovered just how great Picardo was in the role and started giving him more and more to do.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Breakout characters happen more because of actors than the idea behind the charatcer. Then the writers catch on and start writing more stuff for that character. Thats why Weyoun came back from the dead (and the Vorta gained the whole clone idea as justification), why Garak was practically a regular and why Damar developed far beyond a tertiary character.

And none of those characters were the Spock type comment on humanity. Garak and Damar were more comments on Cardassians than humans, and Weyoun was simply a very alien sort of critter, who played by his own unhuman rules. Aliens like that are what Trek need more of - actual aliens, not humans is disguise.

Or, just have them be humans. The breakout charactter on ENT was boring old human Trip, due to Connor Trinneer's charm and talent. The other breakout was Phlox, again, due to the talent of the actor.

9. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I'd say that Garak, Rom, and Nog all fit the definition of "breakout character" on DS9 very well, especially once the Dominion War got rolling - especially Nog. Just contrast his role in Season 1 to episodes like "The Siege of AR-558" and "It's Only a Paper Moon".

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't the EMH on VOY and Odo on DSN, better fit the outsider roles

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both Seven and EMH fit the outsider role on VOY, and Odo on DS9 yeah. Quark was more like Weyoun, an alien who played by alien rules. A character like that is not an outsider looking in, because he doesnt want in. He's already in - inside his own society.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But as Seven diudn't appear until later, if there was supposed to be outside character on VOY it would have been the EMH.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Each series has a character in place to analyse the "human" aspect, to be the outsider through which things relating to human nature are examined (Spock, Data, Odo, EMH/Seven, T'Pol).

Personnally I really don't think its needed anymore.

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, almost never --three cheers for the Mirror Universe!!!

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So long as they serve a dramatic need, I'm not bothered.

From a viewer point of view, we are drawn to certain characters more than others, as we can see some of our qualities in them.

So for those that have difficulty in being accepted you might relate more to the 'outsider' characters.

16. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Breakout redneck? i don't think so he was fairly bland unlike Phlox who actually looked unique and had a unique voice.

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The opposite was true. Enterprise was in production when I was in High School, and Trip was the character that people were talking about, especially the girls. He seemed somehow like he was in his mid-late teens, he was good looking, cool, laid back, had a southern accent, played the harmonica and he was popular aboard the ship. Eventually he got "the hot girl."

Trip was the man.

:)

18. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Considering the weak competition he had thatsno wonder, but Phlox is still better. Riker and Bashir would not had him ever get laid if he served on the same ship.

19. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I was going to say that ... :)

20. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I was wondering, does Star Trek have a character that is like Han Solo in Star Wars? Someone who bends the rules, a rogue who lives on the edge of the law, who has a scheme and a plan, but also has a code of morality though he doesn't always realize it at the time. Problem is Star Trek typically is about the crew of a Federation ship with a type of naval discipline, the question is how do you find a roll for a Rogue on a Star Trek Crew? Neelix was sort of that type wasn't he? What do you think?