League of Extraordinary Gentlemen gets pilot order at Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I would imagine he'll be choking on his beard about now...

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I never read the graphic novel but I really liked the movie. I'm not sure how it'll work as a TV show though.

3. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Ditto. Nemo, the Nautilus, Jekyll and Hyde belonged in a somewhat better and smarter movie, IMO. LXG wasn't terrible, just a lukewarm product that erred by misrepresenting its source material.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Strip it down to the base concept -- the public domain literary heroes of Victorian fiction, teaming up to fight crime. Then build it out from there. The show would probably be a lot like Doctor Who's "The Crimson Horror" or the Victorian flashbacks in Torchwood. The first season's meta arc could hit some of the major points in the first volume across its 13/22 episodes, with standalone episodes in between with the team having to fight Dr. Moreau or the Giant Rat of Sumatra or things like that.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the team really reminds me of the Avengers.

One of the reasons I think the Avengers movie worked is you blended 4 genres with 4 characters... Cyberpunk, Retro, Fantasy, and Universal Monster into one team.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is sort of the same way.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie is utter dogshit. Like, actual dogshit. I have no hope whatsoever for this one.

Why can't they just leave Moore's stuff alone?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Space: Above & Beyond
    Alien Nation
    Strange Luck

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think the reason people get more upset about the shows FOX cancels than about the shows every other network cancels is because FOX has created or commissioned so many shows of the sort that attract loyal or cult followings. It's a fact of life that most shows of any category, on any network, get cancelled young. That's just the way television works. It's always a gamble and no show has any guarantee of survival. But genre fans care more about the shows on networks like FOX or Syfy, so their cancellations hit us harder and upset us more, even though they're not actually more common than cancellations on other networks. So we blame the networks for being mean to our favorite shows, when really those shows would never have existed at all if those networks weren't so committed to creating interesting genre shows in the first place. I mean, there's not as much loyalty for things like 666 Park Avenue or Cult or The Cape, so when they die young, it doesn't provoke as much ire.

Anyway, those shows you list are from decades ago. A network is not a continuous living entity. It's a company run by people, and the people who made the decisions to cancel those shows and Firefly have all long since moved on to other jobs. The people running FOX today, and for the past few years, have proven themselves to be far more supportive of genre shows, and far more willing to take risks to keep a show on the air, than their predecessors a decade ago. Really, holding a grudge against the current FOX regime for the way their forerunners handled Firefly or Alien Nation is like blaming President Obama for the decisions of Presidents Bush and Reagan just because they all have the same job. It doesn't make any sense.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Fantastic! Im sure itll be different than the movie, but that movie is one of the most entertaining of it's kind in the last 25 years. Its one of the few movies I watch at least once a year. Highly fun and highly underrated.

RAMA

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The comics went after the rails too. They had Harry Potter killing people with his penis and shooting out Hogwarts ala Columbine.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

Like the way Moore leaves other peoples' characters and stories alone? ;)

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Well, Obama blames Bush for everything, so...

:D

13. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

What a pleasant image. :)

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

6 depending on if they hire Summer Glau

;)

15. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it me or is Summer Glau cursed. Every show she's be on has been cancelled.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well she just signed up for Arrow.

17. Yminale

I don't think this should be treated as a joke. If I was the show runner I created mini-arcs about 12 episodes long so if the show gets cancelled, it leaves on a high note.

Oh and they should get Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes.

18. Yminale

:eek:

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, this probably won't be anything like the book or the movie, but I'm certainly up for a Steampunk show starring classic Victorian-Era characters.

How dare they dis FreakyLinks? :scream:

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The problem with this idea is the same as the problem with the idea that FOX is some kind of showkiller: namely, they're both based on the assumption that a show getting cancelled is somehow unusual. The fact is, most shows get cancelled young. Renewal is the exception, not the rule. Television is like those nature shows where you see a whole litter of dozens of animal babies being born and they struggle to survive to adulthood but most of them get gobbled up or starve or wash away in floods and only a few live long enough to reproduce.

So: given: most shows get cancelled, period. Thus, the more shows you're involved with, the more cancellations you're involved with, inevitably. FOX cancels so many genre shows because it produces so many more genre shows than most networks. Summer Glau has been on so many cancelled shows because she gets hired on so many shows. Any actor who's worked as steadily as she has, who's been in demand as she has, is likely to have been associated with a number of cancelled shows.

(Look at, say, William Shatner. His most successful shows were T.J. Hooker and Boston Legal, both of which ran 5 seasons. He's also known for a little show called Star Trek, which managed a respectable three seasons but still got axed before its time. He had recurring guest roles in the final seasons of three long-running series, Dr. Kildare, Third Rock from the Sun, and The Practice. But he also starred in For the People, Barbary Coast, and $#*! My Dad Says, none of which even made it to 20 episodes, and the animated Star Trek, which got 22 episodes over two seasons. So the majority of the shows that Shatner's been involved with have been cancelled within a year or two of his initial involvement with them.)