7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 29, 2012.

?

Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"

Poll closed Oct 30, 2012.
  1. The girl who waited

100 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Something borrowed

35 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Is it bad that I really miss this?

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. You're Scottish, fry something

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

That's a good idea. It'd be interesting how this plays out. The ending disappointed me.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So the next episode won't be until the Christmas Special, correct? Do we know much about that yet? I would love for it to be a Doctor/River episode.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My goodness what does that mean?! Psion is freaking me out now. I mean it's a lovely ending but "punchline" seems to indicate more than that.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think it's supposed to be a dream (I'm not entirely sure it would even make sense). But it makes sense that Amy's fascination with the Raggedy Man comes from more than one encounter.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's set in Victorian times and the Doctor teams up with Madame Vastra and Jenny to fight an alien villain played by Richard E Grant. Oh, and I thnk I heard something about a new companion named Clara...;)

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If nothing else, the Moff's propensity for clever twisty stuff makes the viewers second-guess everything. :)

7. teacake

WHAT! I watched the "next xmas" preview but I didn't see that.

I am very happy.

8. The Wormhole

It wasn't in the trailer, but the spoilers are out there.

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Hey anytone have any thoughts about this, very first shot from Angels:

[​IMG]

Is that what I think it is?

10. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

What is it? Have you spotted Waldo?

11. teacake

A ship? UP in the SKY?

12. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Cloverfield monster, maybe?

13. TyberiusDeAngelo

TyberiusDeAngelo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Can someone please help me better understand this: At the end of the episode when The Doctor goes back to see little Amelia waiting in the yard, doest that mean she had always known The Doctor was indeed coming back and she was just playing upset he left for all those years? I was confused about that bit.

14. The Wormhole

Based on your comments in the other thread, you believe the two towers in this shot are the World Trade Centre. How we know it's not.

-The Twin Towers were practically identical, though one was shorter. Those two buildings are very different. One looks gray, the other blue. The left one has a completely different roof than the right, the Twin Towers had identical roofs.

-This shot would have been taken when the production crew were in New York earlier this year, which would make it kind of impossible to get any kind of image of the WTC.

EDIT: Just checked in from the other thread. Apparentally, that's the new Freedom Tower under costruction where the WTC was.

15. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, it's been shown since the beginning of the new series (and it was hinted before that) that the Doctor has some kind of "time sense" that makes him perceive paradoxes, time shifts and other phenomenons. That's good enough for me: he saw the names on the stone, and he recognized that as a fixed point in time, and Bob's your uncle.

16. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Great until the end of the end. The angel popping up at the last seemed too contrived and Amy's end was a lot like Sally Sparrow's friend's end.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

We're talking about a show where the doctor HAD to die but he used a robot in his place to make it looked like he died.

The Doctor could pick up Rory and replace him with a robot. The Robot would function till it reaches 86 years old.

The tesselecta crew would then leave now that their job is done.

18. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Geronimo. The episode served as an excellent goodbye for Amy and was just generally done very well! Couldn't have asked for much more really.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Have to say I thought there was something bigger going on in S5 as well, as well as the Spitfire stuff, there was also the speed with which a handful of people set up a village wide CCTV system in the first Silurian episode, and I did wonder if none of it was real...actually I think it was just somewhat shoddy writing/production in both cases.

20. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be really interesting if it were true ... and also cheap and unfulfilling. If seasons 5, 6 and 7 were all essentially stories told to Amelia, everything that happened would be meaningless and therefore unsatisfying. I don't think that's what Moffat intended and I certainly don't think the BBC would want that kind of story told to its audience.