What do want to see from a new series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Tcsfan, Aug 5, 2012.

1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I don't really care about the form a new Trek series will take. What's important for me is that the new Trek series should return to the optimism that Trek have always had.

2. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I didn't know that it had ever left. But you do need conflict to have a story, otherwise it becomes boring. I think its important not to have everybody cut out of the same starfleet issue cloth.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

To have a councilor who feels nothing emotionally themselves, ask you how you feel? That would be interesting.

:)

4. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Vulcan / Betazoid child?

I've used that in one of my fics before... character who can 'feel' the emotions around her, but is utterly confused and confounded by them as she represses her own...

M

5. grabthars hammer

grabthars hammer Captain Captain

- I'd like to see some more 'realistic' physics or at least an acknowledgment that space is 3-dimensional, like what was shown on BSG:
    e.g. Moving ships should not come to a complete stop or even slow down when they lose power; ships should be able to simply 'flip' using thrusters when turning around, particularly in battle; a group of ships should not be able to 'blockade' a planet when they're all on just one side of it.

- NO Brannon Braga - no more writers who paint themselves into a corner for 40 minutes then just slap on a technobabble resolution - writers should know from the beginning where their script is headed, thats writing 101. Besides, Braga probably can't even book flights now without getting them canceled. Put up force fields, orbital cannon platforms, whatever it takes to keep him away from a Trek production.

- No more forehead-of-the-week aliens, who pretty much live exactly the way humans do; let's meet more really alien aliens; the milky way has been around billions of years; I'm sure there are plenty of species that evolved on different timetables. At the very least, the different humanoid species, despite being supposedly 'planted' by the same beings, should have evolved in a larger variety of ways, beyond what types of food they eat and the color of their ships.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I thought. They don't express their emotions but do have them, they choose to control them and follow a path of logic. There was that VOY episode where Tuvok helped analyse Kim's infatuation on a 'hologram'.

If they did go this route, I'd like it to be a male Vulcan so that there was a man as ship's counsellor (Troi jumpsuit optional :)).

7. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Federation post-apocalypse. It's all got to fall apart sooner or later... I'd like to see what the Alpha Quadrant will be like after everything has gone to hell, and how it'll be put back together again.

8. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd like to see something that actually moves away from the standard ship & crew format we've seen for five series and eleven movies. They've got a whole universe to work with, but most people seem to want different variations of the same standard formula.

And nothing like a Trek Law and Order, or Trek CSI. Come up with something more original than doing another genre within the Trek universe.

9. Bry_Sinclair

You seem to contradict yourself, asking for a very rehashed genre/format but in a Trek style.

A CSI Trek wouldn't work, the level of technology makes it pretty redundant.

A non-standard Trek would really need to be original in its approach and execution. So long as they had good characters and stories, it really could be set anywhere. But they need to repair the damage done by VOY and ENT and get viewers back to Trek.

10. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not asking for a rehashed genre in a Trek style, I'm saying steer clear of it. Doing things that have been done for is not the way to make Trek prosper again.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

no, csi like trek uses technology, but it's the people on csi, the ones doing the investigations, the victims, and the criminals, that are the story, not the technology.

a star trek "csi' would not have to be a crime show, the point is a team investigating a mystery, procuring pieces of knowledge, each member providing a puzzle piece, putting them together in front of the audience each week, and ending the episode with a successful result (or sometimes unsuccessful one).

the original csi and it's spin offs combined have 30 seasons and 700 episodes, there's an old saying bry sinclair, give the audience what they want.

again, it wouldn't have to be about crime.

:)

12. Bry_Sinclair

My apologies, I misread what you had written, though do agree with what you were saying.

With tricorders, super fast computer and highly acurate sensors though, cases wouldn't be much of a challenge (how often has a crime gone unsolved on Trek?). Of course the focus would be on the people, but the technobabble would also play an imporant element.

That is true. The next series could be set on a pure science ship, follow an SCE team, or be based on a planet where a new colony sets down.

True. I like CSI:NY, but I have always preferred NCIS.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Star Trek "cop show" might work. There are examples of sf/f cop shows all over the place, Grimm for instance. You just take the procedural format and make up new rules for the cops to follow. Grimm is fantasy rules, Star Trek could have sci fi rules.

In fact, Star Trek is supposed to be a cop show in part. TOS had episodes where Starfleet was the cop on the beat, investigating a mental hospital or mining colony where something had gone wrong. You can divide up the TOS episodes into cop show, military show, diplomacy, and personal stores.

Even The Doomday Machine was a cop episode of a sort, because they were carrying out Starfleet's mission to protect the Federation. (And that episode demonstrates how the cop aspect overlaps withnthe military aspect.)

This has little to do with what makes procedurals interesting to their fans, but it's pointless to try to appeal to that audience anyway.

14. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

How about the original idea, "Wagon Train to the Stars"?

Lets take "Little House on the Prairie" and find a way to convert it to Star Trek. A family of pioneers settles on a planet, and while they try to build their home they encounter a bunch of science fiction horrors that they need to deal with.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's Star Trek. People are interested in space battles and strange new worlds, not being stuck in one place. It's why Deep Space Nine added the Defiant in season three. Because people weren't digging Trek being stationary.

Now a sci-fi Little House on the Prarie isn't a bad idea in and of itself. But it would need to stand on its own outside the Trek universe. :techman:

16. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I would not buy that. If you really want to set it on a planet, give us some outpost on another galaxy, like maybe they found a wormhole to the Large or Small Magellanic Clouds, or maybe the Andromeda Galaxy, and they make a permanent outpost(city) on a planet there. Give the outpost two-three star ships that they can use to explore the new territories. What would give us this situation: first of all this shouldn't be a BIG departure from the Milky Way because they could anytime come back and have adventures/missions on familiar territories, but also they could have a strange new world to explore, and some different settings relatively to the other series. It is a mixed concept of DS9 and Voyager, as they would have permanent settlement to go to, but also star ships for exploration. The sets should be constructed in a way so that with a little change they could look like the bridge for two different ships or observatory for two different ship. I hope you get the idea. The settings might seam similar to SG:A but that would be far fetched as saying Firefly is like Star Trek because it is set on a star ship, so I think the idea would work ...

17. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

No more sanctimonious nonsense like the Neutral Zone.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A whole planet to explore is not being "stuck in one place," not if it's actually presented as a realistically complex planet instead of these weird single-climate worlds that are all desert, all ice, etc.

All of non-sf/f fiction is stuck on one planet called Earth. That never seemed to be a problem for authors in writing fiction based on the real world and creating more worthwhile stories than a single person could hope to read and watch in a lifetime.

The main issue would be aesthetic and visual - would audiences miss seeing starship sets and starships in the vastness of space?

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Plus, plenty of authors have been able to get entire series out a single planet: Barsoom, Arrakis, Pern, etc.

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Sort of like Andromeda... :)

What I want is a post DW series showcasing the Federation struggling to put itself back together, facing resource problems, political questions stemming from some of the more "grey" things it had to do to win (such as lying to the Romulans).

I'd highlight the differences between the "core worlds" (the "saints in Paradise", to put it as Sisko did), and the border/colony worlds and how those differences complicated matters. Just to keep it interesting, I'd even throw in the Typhon Pact from the books.

On the production side, I'd like Manny Coto as showrunner, and the Reeves-Stevenses as head writers. They had Enterprise going in the right direction, and could have gotten it to 7 seasons if Les Moonives hadn't dropped the hammer on it.