Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Just a heads up for people who might've suspected they're not hearing everything they should in "Night Terrors."

A poster named Scylla in the Season 4 thread at Blu-ray.com noticed that there are two brief sound effects missing from the episode. It's when Riker first enters his quarters in Chapter 4. There are two wood creaks (at 19:43 and 19:55) that are gone on both the DTS-HD MA 7.1 and the Dolby Digital English 2.0 tracks, but they are present on all the foreign audio tracks. I checked my DVD and the creaks are definitely there on the old English DD 5.1 track -- in both the front right and rear right channels. So this is a clear oversight when Chace Audio rebuilt the mix for this episode.

BTW, this is the same disc with the really shoddy CGI in "Galaxy's Child." It's probably too much to hope that CBS-Digital might correct both and reissue the disc. Technically the low-quality CGI can't really be considered an error (except for a very minor compositing mistake in the birthing shot that I wrote about before)... and it would surely cost them a lot of money. I'm sure the last thing they want is a repeat of their S1 experience.

Oh, well. Doesn't destroy the episode, but it's definitely disappointing as we're meant to see AND hear what the crew is experiencing. Anyway, the takeaway here is no... you're not crazy and you're not stuck in a Tyken's Rift.

And with that, I'm going to go get some REM sleep. ;)

2. d514

d514 Ensign Red Shirt

I thought the DD English 2.0 track is the original audio without any remastering. How can there be something missing?

3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I misunderstand. There were two creaking sounds, probably the sets or other unintended noise, and they're missing so we want the disc to be remixed and remanufactured so we have those creaking sounds? Or were the sounds intended and their absence causes a continuity issue in the episode?

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The sounds are part of the hallucinations Riker is having because of sleep deprivation. They are intended and an integral part of the scene. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I recall that Riker actually reacts to the sounds. So I guess you now see Riker reacting to a sound that's no longer there. :rolleyes:

To me, the season 4 set is a minor disappointment, similar to the season 2 set. But I'm actually spotting far more remastering mistakes in this set compared to the season 2 set, while Modern Video only had to do visual effects and HTV remastered everything. We got misalignment issues on many shots, poor CGI, missing sound effects, etc... A real shame, ,especially after the perfection that is season 3.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. Maxwell Everett

No they are definitely foley sound effects that were recorded separately and placed into the original mix because they are only in the front right and back right channels on the DVD. But your confusion brings up a possible explanation: did Chace deliberately remove the sounds because they thought they were unwanted production audio artifacts? That would be very amusing. :lol:

6. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I suspected as much when we saw very little of MV's work in the trailer. I might have to reconsider my decision to purchase this set if I hear or see too much more is out of sorts. I don't want to, but if the work is less hit and more miss, I don't want to pay for that.

Before anyone says anything about nit-picking and how it's still better than the DVD's...yes, I know...but I have 2 dollars in my account until payday due to a hoard of unexpected expenses. I refuse to spend my money on something I might not be satisfied with.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. Maxwell Everett

The same person spotted another small audio glitch in "Identity Crisis." That's the same disc, #4, btw. I confirmed it by popping in the DVD and checking for the error, which was absent. I also answered another poster's question about a brief frame jump later in the episode:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=7940989&postcount=674

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for clarifying about the sound effects (thanks to Max, too). Yes, that's an important omission.

I haven't cracked open the set yet (still leisurely working my way through Season 3). I wonder if their teams are getting burned out, and thus getting sloppy or careless. Maybe they think they've proven themselves, and can get by w/ lower standards now...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I guess we're stuck with mild disappointments all 'round this time. Terrible CG space babies, repeated/missing credits, missing sound effects, skipped frames...and probably more to come. :sigh:

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The repeated/missing credits is only on the Redemption solo release, which technically doesn't count towards season 4.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It counts as TNGR sloppiness.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

...dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

13. Maxwell Everett

I know I sound like a broken record, but if CBS wants to catch all the mistakes and avoid costly recalls, they should put the episodes up on startrek.com as they're completed (Seasons 1 & 2 are up there right now in remastered form in SD) and fans could then submit error reports. They're already done remastering Season 5. What errors are just waiting to be found by eager fans?

Fine CBS, you don't want our help... good luck finding all the mistakes! :p

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I told you last year that I believe this to be a rather delicate approach and close to admitting "we probably overlooked a few items and made mistakes". I don't believe that CBS-D is willing to risk to "loose face" in public.

Better to have somebody competent and reliable to collaborate with CBS "behind the scenes" to evaluate the material prior to its release - someone like yourself...;)

Bob

15. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

This is going to be a tough season for me to sit through because I know that it will be the last season that Ron Jones was a composer on the series.

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yes, the series (and much of what followed) was largely robbed of some genuine depth by the introduction of the uber-bland "muzak" style. For me, this policy was one of the worst decisions taken by producers in modern Trek - it just seemed to add a layer of totally unnecessary blandness to the show(s).

17. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What was Ron Jones' final episode? For some reason I was thinking it was BOBW2, but definitely noticed his style even before seeing him in the credits while watching "Brothers" last night.

[Edit] Nevermind, just looked at the season 4 credits in the TNG Companion, and it looks like he did all odd-numbered episodes this season ending with "The Drumhead". Jay Chattaway did episode 179 and the last two odd-numbered episodes of the season.

18. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got up to Clues, the opening shot of the Enterprise approaching the nebula looked really good.

-Chris

19. cbspock

Watching Galaxy's Child. So they can just shut off the warp core like its a light bulb?? I don't think Geordi even notified the bridge. He also restarted it again like it was a light bulb.

-Chris

20. cbspock

I thought Galaxy's Child looked okay, as good as the original, the creature always looked fake.

-Chris