Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Besides, you can tell that the X-wings in the teaser are clearly different from the X-wings of the OT. Just look at the wings. In the real world most modern militaries are still using fighter jets (or variations thereof) that entered service 40 years ago.

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A good example is comparing the F-15 Eagle to the F-15SE Silent Eagle.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

Or the first service model of the AH-64 Apache gunship to the modern, upgraded and much more powerful AH-64D Longbow Apache.

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Even in the old EU they were using the XJ3 X-wings (T-65XJ3) 30-40 years after Yavin.

At Yavin they were using the T-65B

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

What, you want the plot outline a week before the movie comes out, then?

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Teasers are different form actual trailers. Trailers, it can be said, have a structure to them, often even a three act sturcture just like a movie does, only over a shorter amount of time. Even in such trailers (like the shot in the Pan trailer of Hook catching a young woman in his arms) there are shots that have little context, but the overall structure of the trailer has a structure to it. The Jurassic World trailer is a trailer not a teaser.

The Dark Knight teaser had pretty much no footage form the film, but it did have dialogue that echoed some of the themes. Still just a teaser.

Interstellar had a few shots from the film, but the narration and most of the footage was not in the film. That's a teaser as well.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Random thought: do you think the Sithy bad guys are going to be in charge of the Empire? Will they take it over in the process of the movie? Will they be completely separate from it? Will the Empire team up with the Rebels against the larger threat?

8. Ithekro

Will the old Rebels be the Empire?

9. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Everybody keeps mentioning examples of films where the teasers were basically a collection of images meant to whet people's appetites, but the difference is that, prior to said teasers being released, we at least knew SOMETHING about the basic storylines of the films they were promoting (regardless of how far in advance of release the teasers for said films were released).

I cannot think of another film in history that has had a teaser trailer released - regardless of when said teaser was released - without an official 'synopsis blurb' for said film having been released first.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Super 8.

11. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really don't mind the Mystery Box. At all.

12. DigificWriter

I wasn't expecting there to actually be another example of this happening, but I'm not all that surprised that the only other example is a J.J. Abrams film. For all of his creativity as a director and storyteller, he clearly has no idea what he's doing when it comes to marketing things, and I'm quite frankly surprised that Disney and Lucasfilm's marketing people approved the idea.

13. Ithekro

The Addams Family movie teaser told us nothing about the film. It was a repeat of an old Addams joke (that had nothing to do with the Addams Family) combined with a shot of family in the back with just the theme song and them snapping their fingers. Told us abolsutely nothing about the plot.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Most teaser trailers nowadays are released before an official synopsis is released. The teasers for the last couple of Christopher Nolan movies - such as The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar - were released before the studio released an official synopsis.

For example, Warner Bros. didn't release the official synopsis for The Dark Knight Rises until July 2nd, 2012 - exactly two weeks before the movie was slated to open in theaters.

The official synopsis, to my recollection, is usually withheld - especially in the case of big-budget studio movies like this - until shortly before the movie is supposed to come out. The plot synopsis in today's Hollywood climate is considered a spoiler and for a movie climate where the Internet practically spoils everything, it makes total sense for that synopsis to be withheld until the last minute possible.

So this is common practice and not anything new. I don't expect Lucasfilm or Disney to release an official synopsis for The Force Awakens until shortly before the movie is supposed to open. Abrams will want to keep people in the dark for as long as possible. Which is what we all should have seen coming based on the amount of secrecy for this movie and knowing Abrams' reputation.

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

And the very first teaser for ST:TMP said absolutely nothing about the first movie's plot, preferring instead to reintroduce the classic TOS cast members and mention the newbies to the Enterprise crew ( Stephen Collins and Persis Khambatta). Just quick images with Orson Welles narrating.

16. DigificWriter

If that's indeed the case, it certainly didn't feel that way, at least with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and I think the difference is that, with those movies, we at least knew what characters were in them, the same which cannot be said of The Force Awakens.

If it weren't for the fact that we know Mark, Harrison, Carrie, Anthony, and Peter are coming back, we wouldn't have any clue who the characters in The Force Awakens are, and that's a problem for me.

17. Ithekro

In some cases, no. Interstellar was a pain to figure out for a long time what was going on. Many of the others were unclear.

Its Star Wars though. This was the original trailer from 1976

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-vsILeJ8_8

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Does The Force Awakens really need a synopsis, though? It's Star Wars.

You said it yourself. We know the movie will feature the return of Harrison Ford as Han Solo, Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia and Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. The regular audience might not know that from the teaser trailer (although the appearance of the Millennium Falcon kinda gives it away), but this movie has been publicized so much that I would be surprised if the general public didn't know the cast of the original movies were coming back by now.

By the time we get more pictures, advertisements and trailers the audience - and us ardent aficionados - will be able to piece together the story well enough. I mean, if you know where to look, you can even have the basic story for you spoiled already based on leaked spoilers and information - but I don't recommend that. I actually like not knowing the basic story. I wanna know as little as possible before I sit in that theater on December 18th, 2015 but that's just me.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Why? What difference does it make so far out?

Actually, scratch that...why does it matter at all? Why not just get to know the characters by watching the film when it comes out? That's usually the way of things.

20. DigificWriter

^ You're trying to convince people to go see your film. Withholding virtually all information about said film is really not a very effective marketing strategy, because it gives the impression that you don't care all that much about said film or don't think it's going to be all that successful, because if you did, you'd put information about it out there for people to see.