Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 29 2014, 11:39 PM   #2056
Masiral
Commander

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Set Harth wrote: View Post
We might see a synthesis of the two approaches.
I could see Luke following the OT style, but the new Jedi using the PT style.
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 12:51 AM   #2057
davejames
Vice Admiral

I just don't want to see Luke twirling his lightsaber over his head like a baton. Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 05:07 AM   #2058
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Well, I just hope Luke fights a bit more impressively than he did in the OT. He doesn't need to do acrobatics, but the OT lightsaber duels really do seem too slow at times (although they usually made up for it with atmosphere) So, maybe having much less acrobatics than the prequels, but faster sword movement than the OT would be a good way for Luke to go about fighting as an older Jedi Master, while any younger lightsaber fighters do a more energetic style like the prequels.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 04:41 PM   #2059
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the battles were pretty slow in ANH and ESB, but things sped up quite a bit for ROTJ. Luke was swinging that lightsaber around pretty quickly during the Sarlaac sequence, and the final battle with Vader got pretty fast and intense towards the end as well. It still may not be as fast and frenetic as the prequels, but they definitely did speed things up.

I will say though, for being a supposed trained Jedi, Luke sure didn't seem to have much of a technique. He swings his lightsaber around so wildly on the skiff that it almost looks like Han and Chewie are about to get sliced at a couple points as well. Lol
Old August 30 2014, 05:22 PM   #2060
DWF
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I will say though, for being a supposed trained Jedi, Luke sure didn't seem to have much of a technique. He swings his lightsaber around so wildly on the skiff that it almost looks like Han and Chewie are about to get sliced at a couple points as well. Lol
Well Luke did leave before his training was finished. And TESB the movie didn't show Luke training with the lightsaber unlike in the novel. In the novel Yoda would throw a metal bar into the air while Luke was running and Luke, if he were a full Jewdi was supposed havve been able to cut the bar into seven pieces.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 07:51 PM   #2061
davejames
Vice Admiral

That might be a good explanation in retrospect, but I doubt Lucas really wanted him to seem that untrained. Or want us to think Luke hadn't received any lightsaber training simply because we didn't see it onscreen.
Old August 30 2014, 08:12 PM   #2062
DWF
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
That might be a good explanation in retrospect, but I doubt Lucas really wanted him to seem that untrained. Or want us to think Luke hadn't received any lightsaber training simply because we didn't see it onscreen.
Luke's skill with a lightsaber wasn't needed to turn Anakin, Luke was stupid enough to throw away his lightsaber before facing Palpatine. In the end the important was putting Luke into the position to turn Anakin, it's fairly obvious that Luke had no realy chance of beating Palpatine on his own.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 08:31 PM   #2063
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

It's great how the last moments of the final confrontation between the Emperor and Luke mirrors Anakin's choice when seeing Mace Windu about to strike down Palpatine almost a quarter-century earlier. In both films Anakin Skywalker must make the crucial decision to save somebody important to him: the first choice led to his conversion to a Sith Lord and a life condemned inside life support armor, the second was his redemption and the rescue of his own son and in the process he fulfilled the Jedi prophecy of the Chosen One.

Whatever we may often think of George's writing and directing, his conscious decision for the themes and many of the events in his films to rhyme across the wide expanse of the Saga was a great and often poignant thing and I'm glad he did it.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 10:19 PM   #2064
Doctorwhovian
Commander

Seeing ESB, it might be nice for the sabers to hit things other than other lightsabers and the body. Part of what made ESB's last fight intense was Luke and Vader often missing and damaging parts of the Carbonite freezing room, the vane and the railing.

A lot of the fight also didn't have any score either (Although John Williams did compose music for the scene which was cut from the movie but came with most versions of the soundtrack) which I think helped the atmosphere. Come to think of it most of the OT used minimal score in the lightsaber scenes.POST-ROTJ, it seems to be mostly some kind of epic score like Duel of The Fates or Battle of the Heroes instead.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote