2-parters where part 2 is better than part 1 ?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by at Quark's, Apr 18, 2014.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Often, when I read reviews of trek 2-parters, I see remarks like 'if only part 2 could have been of the same quality as part 1 / hold the pace/tension/whatever'. Which, I suppose, is not surprising, as in part 1 there's every room for developing intriguing leads, whereas in part 2, everything should be neatly wrapped up and 'delivered', and hence, if the viewer is to be disappointed that would usually occur in the 2nd part, not the 1st.

Still, I'm wondering, are there trek 2-parters out there where part 2 is widely considered superior to part 1 ?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

the DSN two-parters for the most part managed to hold quality in the second part at least better than some of the TNG two-parters.

3. meshman63

meshman63 Ensign Newbie

I have seen most of the 2 parters and the only one I think I was dis-appointed in was the one with Data and the Borg. They said it was because there was 2 different writers or something?

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The Wrath of Khan is better than "Space Seed."

I liked "By Inferno's Light" better than "In Purgatory's Shadow."

--Sran

5. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Chain of Command part 2 is better than part 1. That might be the only TNG 2 parter where the second half is better.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Agree that Chain of Command is the only TNG two parter where part two is better. I think TNG writers often had better idea for premises than they did for solutions.

Equinox Part 2 might be better than Part 1.

7. WhateverMan

WhateverMan Ensign Newbie

Second.

We are of one mind.

8. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

What about ENT´s In A Mirror, Darkly? It was just so much fun to revisit TOS in the second part, seeing TOS-style sets and uniforms again - and the Defiant of course. To me that was a two-parter that didn´t disappoint in the second half.

Mario

9. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if the problem is that some of the episodes shouldn't have been two-parters to begin with.

10. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Past Tense part 2 was better by a mile. All that happened in part 1 was Sisko lecturing and Bashir acting like a tool.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Year of Hell II more than Year of Hell I. Overall, it seemed like Voyager's second part of episodes were better than the first part.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Agreed.

13. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Yes, COC 2 is better than COC 1. But, it has been so long that with the exception of Best of Both Worlds and Descent, I can't remember other 2 two-part TNG episodes. Whoops!

14. doctorfoto

doctorfoto Commodore Commodore

I rather liked Time's Arrow Part II better than Part I, though admittedly the overuse of Clemens bogged it down a little.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Perhaps why some work better than others is down to when they are written. For the season ending two-parters Part I is written without really knowing how they'll resolve it, they'll figure that out in a few weeks a months time when they come to write it. However for the multi-parters during a season they have to write the other parts at the same time.

16. spacedock1

spacedock1 Ensign Red Shirt

part one set the scene for part 2 and part 2 was the denouement:) part one was chilling to watch with sheer helplessness of the situation of the homeless ,unemployed and the mentally ill being forced to live in the ghetto/sanctuary district.
    past tense part 2 was better than part one because it showed why these star fleet officers are heroes.it is against the temporal directives to do what they did but they saw a very bad situation and were willing change it even at the expense of themselves.
    Another reason why part 2 was better then part one,for me, was because it shows how wonderful and noble the federation and its society and thus the members of that society must be. it is said you judge a society by how it treats its weakest.The fact that sisko and bashir and dax were willing to act on behalf of the weakest,most viscerally dispised sections of a previous society shows how worthy and noble the federation must be.And remember at this time sisko was just a commander and not a captain. and when you consider that in hindsight that bashir is a genetically enhanced human and what we know about augments then even bashir is not a tool :)
    i think part2 and by implication part one give the viewer an objective standard ,a template, with which to measure the actions of the federation and its members instead of the subjective one the viewer used previously .The actions of sisko and company in past tense part 2 painted their actions positively for me afterwards.They had empathy for weakest and the most hated (Sanctuary residents) of an earlier society.So as viewer you could see the pain that sisko felt in violating the principles of the federation in the sixth season episode 'in the pale moonlight' was real.
    its interesting that you say past tense Part 1 was slow :) part 1 was directed reza.s beyadi .He directed the opening title sequence of the Original Hawaii Five O. i think that title sequence is considered by many to be one of the most dynamic, kinetic, introductory sequences ever made :) :techman: past tense part 1 showed how versatile a director he was :)
    past tense Part 2 had very un sci-fi closed situation claustrophic tense hostage action situations which was well directed by that episodes director. That episode was directed by the director of Star Trek First Contact and also insurrection .two films that had vast expansive space battles and introduced fan favorite vessels like the enterprise-e,akira class and borg sphere.:)
    Past tense part 2 shows just how talented and versatile the director, Jonathan Frakes, is when you consider just how different in scale and scope past tense part 2 is from movies first contact and insurrection :)
    i think both of these episodes are amongst the best of trek produced :) but past tense part 2 is better:)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  17. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Time's Arrow. I like both parts, but there's something inherently satisfying about the second one.

18. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG's Gambit. It's far out, man. Picard and Riker undercover... Worf and Data clash over rank. It's some of best of the final season.

19. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

Redemption Part II

20. Echtzeit

Echtzeit Lieutenant

"The Die is Cast" was better than "Improbable Cause", though both are amazing episodes.