DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno. The major appeal to me of the JLI is its collection of loveable losers who still manage to do some good even though the usual story involves low stakes or spends most of its pages revolving around how they sort of can't stand each other. Ideally, the Justice League proper should be a global force anyway, obviating any need for a JLI if the book's just going to be regular old superheroics. (And Booster Gold without Blue Beetle seems kind of pointless; Giffen and de Matteis pulled it off for a little while, but the best part of the run really is when Ted's around; of course, near as I can tell, Barry Allen wiped Ted Kord out of existence; very sad. :( )

But hey, I didn't pick up JLI, I could be totally off-base.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I was refering to the quality of the writing. I enjoy both books and characters, even if the tone is different.

I think you'll find that Hawkman's first appearence in Flash Comics #1 included the reincarnation angle. ;)

3. Myasishchev

Oh, yeah, I meant to mention that, but I wasn't sure. Khufu and whatever Sheira was called back in Egypt Days were there in the beginning, yeah? I thought they were archaeologists and stuff and killed Billy Batson's parents when they found the Ark of the Covenant. Maybe I'm crossing some stuff up.

4. Nerys Myk

Sheira's name was Laura something.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Nerys Myk

7. Admiral_Young

LOL. I actually had to go reference Wikipedia because I don't know that much about the Hawks.

8. Myasishchev

^_^

One thing I'd like to see in a Hawkperson story is the line, "Oh, no. It's you again, isn't it?"

Anyway, the main thing is, anyone writing a Hawkperson comic should have read The Years of Rice and Salt and be prepared to rip it off wholesale. That book is great, but it is deficient in two major respects: mace-related deaths, and space aliens. Nary to be found there.

And why does Carter always get to be the dude? Was this addressed in that Hawkperson book that I didn't read because I wasn't reading comics at the time? If I were Sheira, and I had to suffer through five thousand years of gender inequality, chattel status, and statistically probably a dozen or so rapes because my soul mate can't bear leave his dick behind, I would be pissed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oh a whim, I bought the two Batwoman comics. Not impressed, I found the art in them to be horrible and the story really didn't grab me much at all.

10. Nerys Myk

Didn't like the art???????:eek::wtf:

11. Admiral_Young

Not like the art??? The art is simply magnificent...I'll agree on the story. I love the art.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, let me rephrase that. The art is good, for the most part there's some panels where it didn't impress me much but the splash pages and bigger action panels were good. I guess I more didn't like the coloring in it. Most notably the fact Batwoman looks like she got some severe albinism.

Issue 1:

The first page is beautiful well drawn and the color gives the right tone, the second two-page splash page continues the theme of the fist and still looks good. Third/Fourth page, the "splash panel" of Batwoman's entrance looks good but then the story panels underneath just lack something. Shading. Detail, I'm not sure what it is but they look less like comic panels and more like the game-loading stills from a GTA game. (Not to mention characters are talking but their mouths are closed. From there on the artwork seems to sort of goes back and forth between great and just okay. But more than anything else the coloring (especially on Batwoman) just leaves me cold.

13. Nerys Myk

Why would their mouths have to be open for there to be dialog? Even in the real world mouths open and close as you speak. If it helps think of the panel as a photo taken just as their mouths closed while speaking.

Williams uses a lot of different techniques in the book, thats what makes the art interesting. Yeah, Batwoman/Kate Kane are pale. Its kind of her thing.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think she is pale because of the goth makeup she wears.

15. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

But the group from Generation Lost is a direct continuation of the original JLI, brought together and published over a year because DC saw that there was both nostalgia for this group and fan anger over how they had "disappeared" since the end of the Jurgens run. It logically can't be a continuation of the return of a league that never existed.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

If you read Generation Lost, it's less of a nostalgia group and more of an anti-Max Lord taskforce.

17. Myasishchev

To be fair, I think they went too far with it in the new series. Like, in Elegy, her ass is pale, but when she's in civilian mode, it's within human bounds; they only cranked it up to Crow-level chalkiness when she was Batwoman.

At least in #1, they were coloring regular Kate Kane the same as Batwoman, which I thought was a bit of a mistake.

And I don't get the mouth open/closed criticism either, but it really does bother some folks, and I can sort of see their point. Thing is, what, 95% of all panels would involve an open mouth if we decided that any dialogue = visible tongue.

But yeah, overall the man is annoyingly, unapproachably perfect. It's maddening.

18. Derishton

I know what it is. I read it. It was a "getting the band back together" narrative, pretty explicitly. The title itself doesn't make any sense except as a riff on a lost era and lost characters.

The first two issues of the new JLI series spent at least a third of the time making teasing comments about which parts of the old continuity still "count" and in what form: Guy and Ice, the idea of a UN charter, how well Batman and Guy get along. The ending of Generation Lost - where Batman looks ready to put the JLI back together - is clearly not what's happened at the beginning of the new series.

I do hope the new series finds its groove. I wanted to like it. But it needs to go in its own direction, rather than being a warmed-over Giffen/Dematteis.

19. Myasishchev

I want fully reheated Giffen/deMatteis.

20. Derishton

So do I, but once DC made the decision to go in a different direction, that direction had to be something new if it was going to work.

I'm also re-reading the Perez/Wolfman Titans series, in the new omnibus, and remembering how ground-breaking it was. I'm not sure why DC got rid of that legacy, although I imagine if you're trying to get rid of Wally West and Donna Troy, the original Titans are a continuity problem (actually, West is a problem for Justice League Europe, too - it's these pesky post-Silver Age properties which were critically and commercially successful. Didn't we realize in the 80s that Barry Allen was just the keenest?!?)