Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Models look good, starfield is high rez, no blur or DNR scrub. Not bad at all, cant wait to see more.

2. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's a pretty good composite job!

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Modern Video's work on the 4-footer makes the ship look better than HTV's work on the 6-footer. Says it all, really.

4. jimbotron

Here's the same element done by CBS-D in The Hunted:

[​IMG]

5. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks okay, but a bit flat. Not as contrasty as CBS-D's version, who seem to have discovered that the best way to make the 4-footer look good is to cover half of it in shadows!

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Neither approach works particularly well though, at least in this case. There are plenty of not-so-bad shots of the four footer in TNG, but this sure ain't one of 'em. :)

The secondary hull is okay, but the saucer edge looks almost as toy-like as the actual toy on my desk.

7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think one thing to point out when comparing the S3 and S4 versions of this shot is that the S3/CBS-D version has the ship orbiting a planet, which is reflecting off the ship. In the S4 version, they're just in space so such a reflection wouldn't be expected.

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Frankly, I think all of those images of the 4-foot model look amazing. I fail to see any problem with them. The model and effects work is just gorgeous.

9. jimbotron

One aspect of the 4-footer that looks bad in HD is that you can tell the model has decals.

There's a shot from Redemption trailer (the one where it does an about face) where you can see light shining off the decal on the warp pylon.

10. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Am I correct in assuming that CBS-D have handled all the live action components for this season??

11. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

CBS D handled the conform for Season 4 which I believe is the process of assembling the episode from the camera negatives with Modern Video filling in the VFX gaps.

If I'm not mistaken Season 4 used the same film stock as Season 3 also Marvin Hildebrandt who did the colour correction on Season 3 is working on this one too, so theoretically there should be little to no difference in the quality of the live action material.

12. mr.peany

Ahh cheers! Thank you.

13. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Correct :bolian:

14. mr.peany

Can't believe Season 4 will be out shortly. Hope it looks as great season 3.

15. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

The live action material does look good, but from the small amount of VFX that CBS has allowed to leak out to us, I'm not all that sold on Modern Video's work. It would be nice to have a few more comparison shots with the 6 foot model. I hope CBS isn't withholding screen shots due to a lack of confidence in the final product.

The overall quality is going to influence my purchase and if I see any HTV level work, I won't be buying.

What I've seen so far has looked less polished than CBS-D but nowhere near the HTV levels of poor.

Fingers crossed that CBS will show us some shots soon so we can all have our worries eased.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

No kidding. I haven't even made it through Season 2 yet!

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A week from tonight we would probably have a TNG Theatrical event celebrating the release of Season 4. With that not happening, I'm a little sad. The last 2 theater experiences were fun and I'm really going to miss that. I wonder why it was discontinued. I wonder if it has anything to do with the number of summer movies that come out around this time of year, and the ones that are already out like Pacific Rim.

Still, it would have been fun to see how they would celebrate Season 4.

18. NewHorizon

Yeah, it seems like all they cared about was making it to Season 3 and once Best of Both Worlds was out of the way they didn't care anymore.

My friends and I were really looking forward to a Season 4 event to go along with the release. If I buy Season 4 I guess I'll just have a little viewing here with my projector.

19. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No

And no again.

You like jumping to conclusions don't you!?

20. NewHorizon

I said 'I hope' they weren't holding back screen shots, and that 'it seems'...(from an outsider perspective)...that Season 3 was the high mark and now presenting the rest of the season on the big screen don't appear to matter. Not jumping to any hard conclusions, just saying that's what it feels like to an outsider who is not privy to inside information. Even if you only have a tiny bit more insight than us, it's clearly more than we have.