Starship Farragut's "The Price of Anything"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Kail, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Starship Farragut has released their latest episode called "The Price of Anything". It is by far their best effort, and totally captures that TOS feel.
    http://youtu.be/qHegcYI2M7Q

[​IMG]

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw it last evening at John's. It may be the single best Star Trek fan film I've watched.

3. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

This episode was very well done. The actors all did a fantastic job in their roles. The best Farragut episode to date. It really felt like a classic TOS episode. The script was well written, the camera work was excellent, and the FX work was outstanding!

4. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Agreed on all counts. Michael Struck shared with me some of his "secret" effects work. His best work was on things you don't even notice. Truly remarkable.

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I watched last night. Overall, I liked it. I had some issues (which I'll detail later when I've got more time) but for now, well done and congrats on another episode in the can!

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely one of the best projects to date.

My only regret is that Mike tends to not get enough screen time in Farragut's adventures, but that's probably just my personal impression because she's my favorite character.
    OTOH one of my favorite story elements is "opportunities in life and what we make of them" and this adventure certainly did justice to that!

7. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I will wait for the downloadable version as streaming has issues right now.

8. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed this very much. Nice work everyone. :)

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

As compared to other fan films it's very good. It's not as good as World Enough and Time or The Tressaurian Intersection (even unfinished), but still better than most. I have specific comments, but I'll post them after more people have seen it as I don't want to color anyone's viewing experience.

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with Maurice. It's certainly the best the Farragut folks have done, but not quite on par as WEAT and TTI. I also feel it falls slightly short of really capturing the feel of TOS. I too have specific comments, but I'll withhold them until more people see it.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

WEAT is the only fan film I think of as comparable to this one (Exeter is my favorite, but it is - as we continually lament - not finished). I'll admit to grading on a bit of a curve here because of the extent of professional involvement in all areas on WEAT.

The Farragut folks have pretty much built their production from the ground up from within a community of dedicated fans; I've watched them do it over the last six or seven years and I admire them greatly in that regard.

12. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

It's all a matter of taste, but I felt WEAT was a mess, and they can't even be bothered to finish TTI even after 10 years. I really feel this film captures that TOS feel better than anything else out there. IMHO

13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh WEAT has a ton of problems, as I've often pointed out. And I do admire what the Farragut folks have done to build up their production. They've grown spades from the earlier efforts.

They did a great job and this is their best outing yet. I'd like to see them continue to improve, which is where the majority of my feedback lies. This episode does nearly captures that TOS feel, but is just shy of fully doing so for me.

14. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

This is clearly one of the best fan films ever produced. No doubt about it. I'm not inclined to compare it with Exeter or Phase 2 any more than I'm inclined to compare watermelons, cantaloupes, or honeydews. I like all three a LOT. This is clearly Farragut's best effort to date, and I'm happily content with that.

15. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Oh, it's objectively provable that honeydews are the best kind of melon by any criteria.

16. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16th viewer on You-tube. I liked it. Certainly the best from Farragut, so far. As others have said, but it bears repeating. Don't want to get spoilery so I'll just say that I found the specialty of the Romulan character interesting. The title is, if no one has pointed it out from a Thoreau quote. Use Google for the rest.

I think that all fan series have to be judged on their own terms so I'll leave comparisons to others.

Also, I cast my vote for ripe Watermelon.

17. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I should've added YMMV (your melon may vary) of course. ;)

18. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

Kudos to the Farragut team. Solid story and acting, and great work on the cinematography and editing. I look forward to more.

19. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where's the downloadable version? Of this episodes and all the other ones?

Just wondering, as I hate watching things on youtube.

20. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

I do feel this is Farragut's best one yet. It is VERY good. As with all fan films, there are some nagging issues. However, there are issues with ALL productions from professional to amateur. No one is safe. I do hate that this is John's last run as captain. He is steadily improving. He looks more relaxed as do each of Farragut's BIG THREE. The more they relax and find their way, the better their performances will be. Go back and watch Friends from the first year. It is terribly forced and overacted as compared to episodes a couple of seasons later. Good job guys.