PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a little blurry, but it still looks like it came out alright.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Photo of the Day:

[​IMG]

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Timby, I'm sorry to hear about your 50mm lens! I have the same one and would feel lost without it. Are you still able to use it? Which lens did you use for the pine needles?

Oh! And given your story about that lens and your reconciliation, I love the symbolism of the lens photo!

Two new photos from today (Kestra, I was thinking of your interior photos when I was framing the second shot!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Love that first one! Great shot, nice composition. :bolian:

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I took this one last fall and thought it might look good in black and white. I'm really still trying to get a handle on how to execute black and white.

[​IMG]

6. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

it's lovely!
    Did you enhance the contrast or is that the original one? It's very difficult to photograph moving water. You caught it perfectly.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Black and white really benefits from really strong contrast (that photo is honestly an excellent example). When I was shooting on film (2002 - 2010), I made sure to shoot exclusively on ASA 400 B&W film, which was just fast enough and allowed a little bit of grain. My Rebel T2i isn't great at capturing B&W, but my one pointer with digital B&W is to always slightly under-expose.

No, the lens is a loss -- the focus is completely broken. I called my local camera shop and they quoted at least $120 to repair it, and I can get a new one for $99 on Amazon, which is a no-brainer. The pine needles were captured with an old 28-90mm lens I've had for more than ten years (it beats the tar out of the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Rebel T2i).

8. Greylock Crescent

That's brilliant! Love it. The pigeon perched on the wing is a nice touch, too! As for executing B&W, it's something I'm always working on. I have a few presets in Lightroom that suit my style, but I'm always fiddling with the image even after the preset ... and it doesn't always come out the way I'd like it to.

Timby, I had that same setup - the 18-55mm kit lens on a T2i - for quite a while. I was happier when I upgraded to the 18-135mm ... much more versatile and better IQ, as well. My 70D came with the newer 18-135mm STM and it's very sharp for a kit lens.

9. Savage Dragon

Thanks! We're having a lazy Saturday afternoon today.

[​IMG]

10. Greylock Crescent

Haha! Looks like a blast! Perfect timing on the capture! Also, I'm noticing that you're really good at using unbalanced camera angles. In this one, it really helps make it feel like your daughter is just flying through the air.

Here's one from yesterday:

[​IMG]

11. Savage Dragon

That is pretty sweet!

12. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am trying to learn more about photography and how to handle my digital camera. So today I was strolling around in the garden and I ended up with taking several pictures of a peach-tree. Each with different shutter speeds or arpertures. Turns out that blossoms are nice motifs. They look pretty and they don't move much :D. However, my neighbours will certainly think I'm crazy because I was sneaking around the tree for quiete some time and it was pretty cold. Many of the pictures I didn't like but here are two of the more decent ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    You may be learning about your equipment, but those are beautiful shots and flowers make for some of the best nature photographs. You captured a substantial level of detail and I hope you post more of these shots!

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have a camera that I'm just learning how to play with too. Can't wait to figure out what I'm doing!

15. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Ooh, selina, those blossom shots are beautiful!

16. Greylock Crescent

^ I agree! I'm especially fond of the second one.

17. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^Third that.

18. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks everyone. I will try to go out regularly to take pictures and to practice with the camera.

@ RoJoHen: Great. We can exchange experiences :D.

19. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

awesome pics!!!

Selina, I do a lot of plant photography, too. With such transparent or translucent blossoms like peaches or cherries it's also nice to try a shot against the light. You get the most amazing light/shadow patterns :)
    These are mirabel-plum blossoms (not quite sharp as the camera at my office suffered a scratch across the lense recently :( but I think you get the general idea)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  20. Greylock Crescent

Lovely! For me, the lack of super-sharp focus gives them a dreamy quality.