Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

So similar 'The Fugitive' type format as the old show? I suppose that could work, but they'd have to do some serious ducking and diving to make the Hulk look good on a TV budget, even if he only turns once or twice in the whole season. The days when you could just paint a bodybuilder green and get away with it are long gone. ;)
    But yeah, I tend to agree that even this doesn't seem all that likely.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It'd never happen, but it might be kinda cool to see a Hulk series with Mark Ruffalo hitchiking across the country to sad piano music and getting embroiled in the lives of the people he meets on his travels...

Well, seriously, if there were a new Hulk series, I'd want it to make more use of the mythology like Ross, Betty, Talbot, etc. We've already got an MCU Talbot thanks to Agents of SHIELD.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I could see a Punisher show working very much in the same way as Daredevil.

It would cross over well too...

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The only way I could see a post-origin Hulk TV series possibly working budget-wise is if they told it so much from Banner's perspective that we weren't even first-hand witnesses to his Hulk-outs, just the before and after.

And to borrow the famous malapropism that gave a legendary rock band their name, that'd go over like a lead zeppelin.

5. Christopher

What I read is that it wouldn't fit well with Netflix's "hard PG-13" standards for their Marvel shows, not without toning it down too much. So it's a long shot, no pun intended.

The Flash was able to do Gorilla Grodd, and does some pretty spectacular CGI action shots on a regular basis. A CGI Hulk on TV might have lower resolution and detail than the movie version, and might have to make relatively brief appearances per episode, but it could be done.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Maybe...I could see them teasing him out and keeping him in the dark, a la the first transformation in the TIH film...and that would get old real fast, too.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, considering the stuff Daredevil got away with it must be some pretty hardcore gore.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know one of the creators of Daredevil has said repeatedly that one of his dream projects is a hard R Punisher series, so that one seems like the most plausible. The ony ones that really strike as unlikely are Hulk and Black Widow and that's because I doubt the stars would be willing to do TV, and I can' really see them using any characters that are that big a part of the movies in a TV show. I don't know if the story is really that trust worthy, but the rest of the characters seem like they wouldn't be that hard to do on TV.

9. Christopher

I don't see that. Lots of "movie stars" these days do TV series -- it's not as much as a stigma as it used to be, given how classy TV has gotten. You've got James Spader in The Blacklist, Kevin Spacey in House of Cards, Matthew Mcconaughey and Woody Harrelson in True Detective, Halle Berry in Extant, Robin Williams in The Crazy Ones, John Malkovich in Crossbones, Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton in Fargo, etc. Give a movie actor a great set of scripts and a meaty character, and they'll do TV.

10. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

( and a ton of money)

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the gulf between TV and movies isn't as wide as it used to be, but still, I've be very surprised to see Scarlett Johansson who's movie career is now really kicking into gear and showing no signs of slowing down, committing to a TV series, even a 8-12 Netflix mini.

...unless, like I said, she just *really* wants to play the character in a lead role and doesn't want to wait for a solo movie which now looks to be unlikely before phase 4 in another 4-5 years.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Punisher, Blade, Cloak & Dagger are characters for shows that have been tossed around plenty in years past.

I'm guessing Cloak & Dagger, while mutants, aren't wrapped up at Fox, possibly cause they debuted in Spectacular Spider-man? Light powers and teleportation are easy enough of an f/x it now seems. Gideon on AoS transports several times and Cloak's power set is quite similar.

The Blade show from Spike TV was serviceable but the character is due a comeback and budget wise works. Vampires on TV are a staple.

I've been thinking that Punisher might show up in S2 of Daredevil and serve as back door pilot. Frank and Matt have often tangled so showing up on Netflix's DD seems oh so logical.

I put zero stock in a pre-Hulk show and as long as ScarJo is Black Widow that character won't be on TV. As someone said a pre-Hulk show would have what as it's hook to make it compelling??

Ms.Marvel, the Kamala version, I'm guessing they mean shouldn't be hard. My exposure to her seems to indicate her powers are just "stretchy" like Mr.Fantastic or Plastic Man but there maybe more to her as I'm not fully up to speed on her as yet. If nothing else it would be unique cause it's a teen focused show.

With all the 4 Netflix series, Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter that it would be wise to let those take hold and save characters in your library to introduce onto those shows. Keeping them fresh and interesting vs diluting too many properties across too many channels.

Just w/the Netflix shows alone the possibilities for characters like Punisher, Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, Power Man II, White Tiger, Night Thrasher, Patsy Walker and Misty Knight to appear make those even more interesting. If you take those characters and go solo with them then what?

Rome wasn't built in a day Marvel but when it started to fall part of it's problem was due to over expansion of the Empire without adequate supports to strengthen what they had.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Cloak and Dagger are mutants? I thought they were science experiments (some kind of synthetic drug they consumed).

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

They were X-Men briefly, but IIRC, that was more an alliance of convenience at the time, not because they were actually mutants.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

According to the wiki, they had some latent mutant genes that were activated by an experimental drug and interference by some demonic entity. So not exactly mutants, but kinda/sorta if you turn your head and squint.

As it happens though, having a latent heritage triggered by consuming some concoction would very easily be adaptable into having them be Inhumans transformed either by exposure to the terrigen crystal that got into the ocean food chain, and/or some attempt to by the likes of Hydra or AIM to duplicate Strucker's success with the Maximoff twins.

16. Alidar Jarok

Or by just having the drug trigger it.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Alidar Jarok

I think that's fair. Alias Jessica Jones would have been great, but AKA Jessica Jones was a bit awkward.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Depends how you say it.

Ah-kah Jessica Jones.

A-Kay-A Jessica Jones.

Also Known As Jessica Jones.

20. Alidar Jarok

Probably the second one.