Ghost in the Shell Arise: 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RAMA, Jan 17, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

New GITS! One of the handful of anime titles that make the genre worthwhile.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...e-anime-to-launch-in-2013#8ReapOYst9X685xH.01

The website confirms the staff information, and announces that a "Ghost in the Shell Arise Production Presentation" will be streamed live worldwide on February 12 at 9:00 p.m. in Japan (7:00 a.m. EST) on Niconico, Bandai Channel, and YouTube. The event itself will be held at the nicofarre event hall in Tokyo.

The original movie is one of the few to "get it right". Far ahead of it's time asking philosophical questions about the merging of data and consciousness, as well as the coming merging of the physical machine-human. The original movie left this question open ended for us to ruminate over, as opposed to most visual scifi, which chooses to judge and tell you some things shouldn't be known, and if we find out, it's always bad.

Edit: It's been to my eternal consternation that GITS came out the same year The Lion King was nominated for best picture, when GITS clearly blew it out of the water on every level including style and animation itself.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like yet another alternate universe.
    Well, after the abysmal second movie universe flick, that's probably for the better.

3. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kenji Kamiyama and Yoko Kanno are not seemingly involved which is a disappointment. I will of course give it a shot but I'd rather get another season of Stand Alone Complex personally, unless that's what this is? :confused:

If you're looking for an intelligent sci-fi cop show right now though, I highly suggest Psycho-Pass. So far I'm digging it.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Kamiyama is the dealbreaker since he directed and wrote almost all of the two seasons.

If it's an AU I guess they can cast another voice actress to replace McGlynn for the dub.

5. zakkrusz

Well, at least the Major looks like she wears more clothes in this version...whether that's a good or bad thing I leave it up to you all...:p

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it really looks like a reboot going by the new version of Motoko shown--the character design is closer to the one in the original movie, but somewhat softer and younger, IMO.

Then again, maybe it's a prequel to the original movie?

7. zakkrusz

Well, we also know that in the GITS universe several Section 9 members including Motoko can just swap out bodies like used cars too, so it could even be a sequel. We just don't have the info to tell yet.

8. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

I was super excited about a new GITS series until I saw these two details. Without those two, I don't think the chances of this working for me are good.

In contrast to the OP, I hate the GITS movie--it's so terribly paced, though I agree the philosophy is good, it just doesn't have a well-written story to hang itself on. It's SAC and 2nd GIG that are really firing on all cylinders, IMO.

9. zakkrusz

I prefer the Stand Alone Complex version myself as well. I don't dislike the film-verse, it's okay, but I do think the concept was done better as a television show where the characters were better explored, yet it still retained the philosophical and psychological depth.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to squee, but I also want to find out more details and see how this turns out.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why not just keep McGlynn? She's already played Kusanagi in both the movie (sequel) and TV continuities, as did the original Japanese actress Atsuko Tanaka. So why not continue to use her for a third continuity?

12. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I am tentatively excited. GITS was a fascinating movie, and a great TV series.

13. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Kanedaaaa!

Just putting that out there.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well, as with anything, just need to watch it and see :-)

15. zakkrusz

Wrong iconic Japanese animated movie. :p

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm guessing he doesn't like her performance (which was terrible in the first movie, to be fair). But I'm cool with whatever casting choices are made as long as the dub is not licensed by Sentai Filmworks. Their dubs are mediocre at best and rage inducing at worst and feature horrible casting and directing in both cases.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

McGlynn did not play the Major in the first movie's English dub; Mimi Woods did. The first movie had an almost completely different dub cast than the group that's done subsequent GitS productions; the only performers in common were Richard Epcar as Batou and William Knight as Aramaki. The original film's dub was quite poor in a lot of respects.

18. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too prefer Stand Alone Complex(the anime series) to the movie and that's probably because I thought SAC was more like the manga (which I read years before the first movie came out). It had a lot more comedic elements to it (the manga) that wasn't really present in the movie version, but did show up in SAC.

The movie version is very good and explores themes more deeply, but while I enjoyed it I always felt like it took the characters and some of the themes from the manga, but was of a completely different scope.

19. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Maybe, maybe not...

Someone on another forum had some time to waste...

[​IMG]

20. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you mean Innocence?

I thought that it was fantastic, although besides GITS 2.0 and some Highlander flick, it is the only other anime film I have been able to stand watching all the way through. Both GITS movies really hit the spot for me as a massive scifi-noir fan.