PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

http://www.projectprometheus.com/genesis/

Surprise, surprise. From the looks of Dr. Shaw's own notes, the Engineers were still visiting Earth AFTER the 'event' of 2000 years ago - mainly in the Central/South Americas. Maybe after their bioweapon blew up in their faces on LV-223, they decided to give us one more try on the other side of the world? (BTW, the Mayan glyphs obviously translate to "Meet Your Maker.")

Interesting to note the Engineers seemed even taller in the ancient period than they were in Prometheus - neatly fitting with the Jockey on LV-426 being far larger than the one in this film. Actually, there may have been TWO kinds of Engineers if those Toltec figurines are any clue - Large (Prometheus) and Super-Sized (Alien).

LV-426 is definitely in the same star system as LV-223. Wonder why the Prometheus didn't pick up the warning call?

Never noticed until now that Shaw's video message to Weyland was 15 years before the events of the film.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So the black shit is...

mood slime
    ? :lol:

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My friends and I came out of the film thinking the same thing last week. It wasn't until later, after I'd checked my assumptions about LV-223 did I realize it wasn't the same planet from Alien and Aliens.

That was well-worth the read, even in light of Nightowl1701's post, it's still an interesting exploration of the film's themes and remains relevant to discussion about Prometheus. It's been recommended to me by friends in two different groups -- in addition to TrekBBS -- so it's definitely well-regarded.

Very interesting. Thanks!

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

With the Black Goo I would have expected to see Mulder and Scully pop up.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Scully's more familiar with White Goo.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Just because the two planets start with "LV" doesn't mean they're anywhere remotely close to one another.

I didn't notice that these Engineers weren't as big as the corpse in "Alien". Interesting.

My theory on the change is either A) younger races turned on the Engineers, or B) the Engineers had a civil war and were using the bioweapon on each other. The one side was anti-creation and was destroying the worlds created by the pro-creators.

8. Set Harth

9. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

None? At all? We find out Shaw's father died. We find out she cannot have children. There are two examples of how her character was developed.

If I recall, wasn't there more than one star in the drawing?

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Ok, so Vickers makes one mathematical error (I think she's a corporate exec, and not a scientist, so correct me if I'm wrong) whereas the movie starts with the following card:
    Exploratory vessel Prometheus
    Crew: 17

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

On another tangent, anyone else find the Coors Light Prometheus commercial one of the strangest cross-promotions ever?

12. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMK01ZoaJRw[/yt] It's weird

14. Nightowl1701

Shaw's notebook: "This pictograph is an exact model of the Zeta Reticuli system. Appears to point to Zeta 2."

Lambert, Alien: "Found it! We're just short of Zeta 2 Reticuli. Haven't even reached the Outer Rim yet."

Both films feature two small planetoids orbiting a large ringed gas planet. If it ain't the same star system, it's the next door neighbor to it.

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It could be the ship that Shaw and David took was the ship in Alien. We don't know if there was dead Enginneer in the control room of that ship. Some how the ship could have crashed on LV-426, shaw and david could have sent a distress call. Shaw could still have been inffected and some how breeding an alien that kills her and David and spawns the facehuggers in the lower levels. Another story perhaps.. :)

16. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

17. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, because the only thing wrong with the SW prequels was a single throwaway line that got a number wrong! :lol:

18. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

And? One can say the same thing of virtually every Arthur C. Clarke story ever written. That's not a problem, but a touch of realism.

I'm thinking that maybe Earth was already a factory site, and that we simply didn't turn out to be as good of a weapon as the Engineers had hoped we'd be. I'm figuring that Earth was just another testing ground, and humanity just another bio-engineered weapon. And while we're as lethal as they wanted us to be, we started deviating from our intended purpose by evolving into something more than mere predators: by learning all sorts of non-weapony things like creating cave paintings, and forming rudimentary philosophies, and ethics, and culture, etc.

Another thing... several people have questioned why Weyland apparently ordered David to infect Halloway. The thing is, why do so many assume that Weyland had anything to do with it in the first place? It's pretty clear to me from David's conversation with Halloway about their various creators, that David has some sort of pseudo-emotional resentment of humanity, and his creator in particular. (Note how he flinches when Weyland later dismisses him as having no soul, and it's kind'a hard to not accept this resentment as genuine.) I'm fairly sure that a number of David's actions are the result of a personal agenda that Weyland is most likely completely un-aware of.

As for those who've been complaining about the way the one scientist messes with the snake-creature... What possible reason would he have to suspect a creature as flimsy looking as that could ever possibly be a threat to someone in a heavy environment suit? And it was pretty clear to me that the main reason he was cooing over it as one might treat a puppy, was because he was fucking with his companion, who he felt was being a total chickenshit.

19. Nightowl1701

That...could actually work. :) Repaired or not, it's hard to believe David would be able to flawlessly pilot an unfamiliar alien vessel that's been dormant for thousands of years. (Shaw would be in cryosleep when the ship crashes.)

The eggs could already be down in the hold w/o Shaw and David even knowing it. No need to re-infect Shaw. Just have the Engineers respond to the distress call first and pick Shaw/David up, without anyone going down in the cargo hold. Even better, all this could happen in the first fifteen minutes of the film. One shot of the fossilized pilot with the blown-out chest, one glimpse of the cargo hold as Shaw/David leave with the Engineers - BOOM. You've fully set up Alien, and now Ridley Scott can get on with the story he wants to be telling.

20. Set Harth

I was thinking of the OT. There's no line in the prequels that "got a number wrong" in the sense of the Prometheus math mistake.

And I didn't say Scott was Lucas. I said he's turning into Lucas. This process takes time.