Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Noddy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Wouldn't be sure if that's comparable. They at least built up to that reveal, so it's not like it came out of nowhere. Similar to the magic blood in STID. Many criticize it, saying it came out of nowhere. Even though I don't like the idea of the magic blood, at least they had built up to that from the beginning, so I give them credit on that.

Thing is, until he shows up on the viewscreen, you only know that Spock, Kirk, Scotty and his Ewok are the only people aware of him. I'm speaking from the perspective of a viewer who only watches the films and doesn't read any comics or play the video games. In that moment I was a bit thrown off.

It didn't need to be, as we learn that Kirk promised that he would stay away and he did so by moving on with his life. It's clearly a subject that still guts him to that day, so it's likely something he was never comfortable talking about with anyone, not even his friends. McCoy is certainly aware of that side of Kirk and makes a remark about it, to which Kirk replies "as a physician you of all people should appreciate the danger of re-opening old wounds."

2. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So back to the OP. Two words: Doomsday Machine as most dangerous enemy. Eats planets. Neutronium hull. Phasers bounce off.

I'd like to see Kirk & crew take that on without the Constellation hanging around.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Can a thing be an enemy? It was a machine, there was no evil or malevolence. It was simply doing what it was designed to do. The "foe" in that episode was Decker.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

And that's how you send the Nu-Enterprise out in glory and bookend the movies: Kirk piloting the Enterprise down the throat of the Doomsday Machine while the crew evacuates in shuttles.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

But I like the nuEnterprise.

6. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

is Khan STID the original Khan? This question was on the air in the comic Star Trek:Khan #1.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Is that the comic which just came out recently?

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like it so far.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1715752/star-trek-khan-comic-darkness.jhtml

9. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes. I think it will get more interesting in the next issues.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus looking up historical info on Khan is beyond useless seeing as in Space Seed they did that and Khan still almost killed them all.

11. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Erm, no. He really wasn't. He was a hero. :)

12. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

He was kind of both, actually. Despite his lack of malevolence he turned out to be the singular antagonist for the entire episode; his suicide mission into the doomsday machine ACCIDENTALLY revealed a weakness in the machine's design that Enterprise was able to exploit.

Kirk was the hero. Decker was just the latest in a series of Starfleet captains who crack under the pressure and get everyone killed.