‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to decapitate douchebags with a single twist...

2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Saving a kitty from a tree is JUST LIKE facing an army of hostile Kryptonians. :klingon:

;)

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In all fairness, cats can be pretty mean.

4. Serveaux

During his rigorous training with Jor-El's ghost, he fumbled and dropped seventeen cats to their deaths before getting it right.

But of course no one brings that up. :rolleyes:

5. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It was his first day in a suit.
    It wasn't his first day saving people, or even developing and exploring his powers.

And, again, it's the writing people are complaining about. The writers created the situations. The writers decided he was going to kill Zod. The writers fucked Superman up. It wasn't the character's fault.

6. Serveaux

His previous experience had been notable for its lack of deadly combat with hordes of enemies or collapsing cityscapes. He did manage to prevail in a fire evacuation.

Give it up; you're not making any point with the nitpicking.

There is no character to be at "fault." It's a fantasy; he doesn't exist as an entity to whom blame can be assigned. Superman exists only through the imaginations of the writers and the actor.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

So what you are complaining about is the fact that someone who was raised as a human has a human reaction to the situations he's put it in. Got it.

8. Mister Fandango

Wow, really? Thanks for that astonishing insight. It's almost like that's exactly what I fucking said.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Because he didn't talk to the guy that KNEW Zod. Which seems kind of silly, right? Why didn't he talk to Jor-El?

He could've taken on the one in Metropolis... tried to save lives while fighting Zod, etc.

I think for me the problem with the third act was that it just went SO far, that it became relentless grim. And not seeing Superman TRY to save people just... it felt like a video game of punch, punch, punch, building fall, thousands murdered and then... "Hey everybody, look at me, I'm a reporter!"

I think, in the end, if there was an emotional recognition by the movie of the thousands that were killed... Supes had more tears for Zod than the thousands that died... I needed something more than that glib moment with the satellite or whatever it was at the end with the General.

1. You don't know that.
    2. If we was rote and facile, then they weren't doing their jobs.

I'm not suggesting a story without human consequences. The How It Should've Ended cartoon, of course, does. But, it's also meant to be funny. I brought it up because i'm tired of hearing, "there's no other way!" Um. It's a fictional construct. Of course there are other ways. This was a choice.

Sure. That's a bad idea, but, yeah. That's a way. I would say it's been done, it doesn't seem to fit his powers, but, that's one way. Are there others?

I know you're a writer, are you saying there are absolutely no other creative solutions that still has human consequences yet addresses many of the concerns people have?

Now, I know you like the end of the movie, you are satisfied, but, what if, the studio comes to you and says, we want a rewrite of the third act. We like some of it, but, we want Superman to feel more heroic. What would you do, as a writer hired to do a job?

10. Serveaux

That's an assertion up there with the pitching coach's instruction to "throw strikes and don't give 'em anything good to hit."

They did their jobs by making a really different choice. It worked.

Since I appreciated the movie as it was I haven't given any thought to what I'd have done differently.

Now that I think about it, I just about never look at someone else's work and say "this is how I would have done it."

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Not really, no.

12. Serveaux

Not even close.

13. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you for being among those who remember noticing that particular detail. Deeply appreciated!

And we all remember how Metropolis got wrongly and intentionally tortured further for Clark's pains in attempting that, right?

14. Mister Fandango

Considering I'm the one who wrote it, and I know exactly what I said and what I meant, yes. Yes it really was.

Try reading everything except the last sentence which I excluded above, since, apparently, that's fucking throwing you two.

Because, yes, that's clearly saying that it's the character's fault and not the writer's.

:rolleyes:

You're the ones trying to rationalize it from the character's point of view, as if he had no option but to do what he did. Not me. I'm blaming the god damned writers, because the character has nothing to do with it.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Fair enough.

I disagree. And I'm not alone.

Even work you don't like?

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Professor Zoom I agree with all your points. The writers could have created a scenario which both challenged Superman and kept the integrity of the character. For it's time, the first two Superman films did exactly that. It was Goyer's job to do it, and he failed.

17. Serveaux

No, almost never. If I don't like something I usually just move on to something else.

I don't find most criticism worthwhile. Technical criticism is useful - "this doesn't pay off because it's not set up properly in the first scene" - but reactive criticism is not. The latter generally boils down to another writer or artist having made the thing they wanted to make and not the thing I wanted them to make, and what's the point of that? My taste aligns enough with theirs to enjoy their work, or it doesn't.

As far as disappointed expectations go, my experience is that disappointment has less to do with setting one's expectations too high than it does with setting them too specifically, so I try not to do that.

With rare exception I don't see the superhero mega-movie genre as having much merit beyond an amusement park thrill ride, which is good enough. It's a largely vapid but commercially successful exercise that will continue to rise and eventually decline as the novelty wears out in favor of some other kind of visceral, visually immersive spectacle . That is distinct from whatever virtues the superhero tale holds in its native medium, comics.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  18. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

So now you want us to judge a portion of your post now and not the actual post you wrote? Well that sure is convenient. :)

.....we know.

All I've said is "no, not really". :shrug:

It does seem pretty logical to helpfully point out to someone so obviously confused by the relationship of characters vs actual real life writers.

Why does it sound like you're having an angry cry? Take a deep breath, son.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Okay, I think this story is utter BS but gonna post it anyway. It's being claimed that WB has its schedule laid out, much like how Marvel and Disney have done with the MCU & new Star Wars movies.

I'm not expert but BvS was announced almost a year ago, Affleck was cast in late august and a director,writer and shooting schedule have all been in place. But we are expected to believe that Shazam, with no writer, director, star or schedule will come out a mere 2 months later? Hard to see it happening unless it's a much smaller budgeted, less spectacular film. Here's the link anyway:

http://geektyrant.com/news/warner-bros-dc-comics-movie-line-up-revealed

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Hmm, not sure how much of that will actually happen, but it certainly sounds promising at least. Especially the WW movie, Flash/GL teamup, and standalone MOS sequel.