Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anyone's curious, here's the real one:
    As for you're interpretation, I don't really see the Andorian's considering changing their sexes (I'm not saying it's impossible, just doesn't seem likely to me). I do think you're bit about the Tholians might be likely though, that's certainly the impression this description gives me.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I for one am greatly looking forward to this book. The whole Andorian extinction issue is one of the most compelling storylines of Treklit. The fact that such a technologically advanced culture could be placed in such a horrible cultural crisis is intriguing.

3. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

I just expect there to be heaps of jealousy thrown around. Lots of navel-gazing all round about what happened to the Andorians in the Borg Invasion, how Earth got off, and how Humans have managed to reproduce like crazy and mate with so many species.

The Andorians, Humans and Vulcans all signed on to the Federation as equals, but their population curves have been anything but.

And then T'Ryssa Chen walks in the room. :evil:

4. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

You get used to it after awhile. ;)

5. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

One thing I learned from William Leisner in the Best & Worst thread is that you can'tt necessarily count on the back cover blurbs to be even remotely correct. They may. They may not. I assume the same would go for advance information.

When an author says:
    I'd take it as a good reason to ignore the cover copy.

6. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

The part about the Tholians is certain - between the posted blurbs and the title.
    And the part about the cure via 2 sexes is quite likely - a cure that encounters such opposition from Andorians? Either that or the cure will kill half the andorian people.

Not a criticism? "obnoxiously snot-nosed"?
    This IS a criticism, William Leisner. Your disclaimer is contradicted by the rest of your post.

7. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

^ Don't strain your neck looking for my point, dude...

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The more I think about the more the more I realize that it could be the two sexes thing, it definitely would upset alot of the Andorians, and would solve the problem.

9. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

The two sexes thing was first seen in World of DS9 Vol. 1, a book which Paths seems to build on.

10. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

That's a great line. Mind if I steal it?

11. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

You know, imitation is the greatest form of flattery...

But hey it's the man who called me unimagitive a while back. Hello! :)

Alas for you, you used the words "dismissal" and "criticism" about what I wrote. Both of which paint you as wrong about what I said. It wasnt a criticism, just how I felt about some of what I read, which is not even the official wording anyway. But I still stand by it, how Proto worded it makes them sound whiny to me.

And dismissal? Do people on here have a different definition of the word than I do? I didnt dismiss anything. If I had, I would have said "man that sounds crap".

12. ProtoAvatar

Same back to you, William.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I must admit the Andorian 2-genders thing sounds like some sort of reverse version of an insane backup Andorian retcon plot should Enterprise have made it clear they only had two genders during it's run. I could see a TOS-era novel splitting them fourways to line up ENT and DS9R :lol:

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Oh, I'm sure it's not especially original. Use it as you like.

It's nice to see my advice being taken to heart.

15. ProtoAvatar

You want your so-called "advice" to be taken seriously?
    Then follow it yourself, first.

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

His point was that saying the Andorians sound like they'll be whiny when you haven't read the book yet is a dismissal of the book, and that putting "I'm not dismissing the book" doesn't mean you are not, in fact, dismissing the book. Hence, he engaged in an act of satire by imitating his characterization of your behavior. You have been apparently unable to recognize his satire.

17. ProtoAvatar

And my point was that William is being hypocritical. Putting "Not a criticism or anything. Just an observation." doesn't mean that you are not, in fact, critical.
    Also, William's aggressive ulterior posts showed that he wasn't trying to be funny aka satirical in the least. Or, if he was trying, he did a poor job.

BTW, Sci, William's so-called 'observation' was directed at MNM, not at me.

18. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Who cares? This conversation is lost and needs to stop, now.
    Let's get back on topic.

19. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The dynamic in this part of the forum is often quite entertaining: it's the place where tie-in writers and their fans come to be dicks to each other :techman:

20. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Yep...the ignore feature definitely comes in handy here. :bolian: