Three Tuvok episodes - Meld, Gravity and Riddles.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Tachyon, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:vulcan:

Tuvok is one of my favorite characters in Voyager. I did not like him a lot at first, but I learnt to appreciate him later on.

Three Tuvok episodes - Meld, Gravity, and Riddles where, in my opinion, Tim Russ' talent shone through like no other. And episodes, which I like a lot. Tim is such a great actor who really made the best of the Tuvok character. So which one of these three did you like best and why?

For me it goes like this:

1. Meld - what a great episode! The contemplation of the consequences of the meld and how it affected on Tuvok was brilliant. And the concept of how to punish a murdered under their circumstances was an issue that stirred thoughts.

2. Gravity - We saw Tuvok between logic and fondness. I also liked the fact that Tom and Tuvok were in the centre of this episode. I was something we did not see often. The final scene in transporter room was quite touching.

3. Riddles - I like the Neelix/Tuvok interaction in this one. It showed the side of their "affiliation" that was not necessarily seen before this episode. Alongside Tim's great acting, I liked the Seven/Neelix scene in the mess hall.

2. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I liked Tuvok a lot too, and I enjoyed all these above mentioned episodes. It's just a shame that TPTB didn't utilise him more than they did.After the ensemble casts of TNG and DS9, we were probably expecting the same from VOY. In the later seasons, as the focus shifted to the Doc and Seven, Tuvok sadly became somewhat lost in the balance.

3. TMara

TMara Commodore Commodore

I love every single Tuvie-episode. (Now, that's a big surprise to most here! ;)

Of the three mentioned, "Meld" is probably the best one, writing-wise. It's a great story, it showed us something that we hadn't seen too much before, namely a glimpse of the violence Vulcans are capable of, which is why they have to keep their emotions so much under control. Absolutely stellar acting from both, Tim Russ and guest star Brad Dourif.

"Riddles", in my opinion, is the best acting-wise. Those early scenes, when Tuvok has just awoken from the coma and doesn't speak yet, they are absolutely fantastic. Tim conveys so much with body language and looks. He completely blew me away with this fabulous performance

"Gravity" is very bitter-sweet. It is obvious, that Noss is dear to Tuvok, yet he still remains loyal to his wife and family that are even more unreachable to him than in most other episodes. Once again, many really sweet, subtle touches.

But I also love most of the other Tuvok-episodes. "Innocence", for instance. He is sooo sweet with the kids and it shows us Tuvok as the "family man", how he would probably have interacted with his own kids when they were little.

"Flashback" is another one I like very much despite some flaws in the writing. I particularly how George Takei plays it as if Sulu is seeing something of a young Spock in Tuvie-boy.

"Ex Post Facto" shows Tuvok performing a mind-meld for the first time and is therefore dear to my heart, "Learning Curve" shows him as somebody making mistakes but able to learn from his past mistakes, "Rise" has some good interaction with Neelix, "Alter Ego" sort of starts his relationship with Harry (who turns into something of a semi-regular kal-to partner later on), and so on. Heck, even "Random Thoughts" and "Repression" have their moments (Tuvok's son, for instance, in the latter one). I really like all his episodes, and he also has some really memorable scenes in eps that do not showcase him in particular, "Resistance", for instance. Or "Year of Hell" - the good-bye scene with Janeway.

He may not have been too prominent in the later seasons, but Tim always made use of what he got and did his best with the material he was given.

4. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Meld just wins for me too. Riddles has lots of great, touching character moments, but Tim Russ showed just how versatile he could be in Meld, I thought.

Other episodes I think deserving an honourable mention would be Learning Curve and Alter Ego and Flashback.

Tuvok is my favourite Voyager character and it's a damn shame he didn't get utilised more. Another thing to add to the list of Voyager's "If only" moments :p

5. Tachyon

I like Learning Curve and Alter Ego a lot, too.

6. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I think few would have complained about moar Tuvok. The actor had real screen presence and in scenes with Janeway, the idea they had known one another a long time was very well communicated.

"Meld" was really unsettling. The Vulcans had their telepathic abilities during the violent period of their history, too, and it makes you wonder if that state of affairs was made even worse by them.

7. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

I certanly enjoyed Meld and Gravity alot. Always liked the character of Tuvok. However I can't stand Riddles because of its very lame reset at the end. It's as if all of the episode was for nothing really. Tuvok didn't gain any insight. Or so it seemed to me.
    I can't stand the final scene. The man should have least changed his attitude to Neelix, hell he should have thanked him (in the typical Tuvok way "I owe you a debt of gratitude..." but still...) and grown a greater respect for his (recently found?) artistic and creative abilities and for Neelix as well...
    The "sunday" remark hardly makes up for this. The B storyline with the Aliens also kinda made the episode weaker I think. Not because it was bad but because it needed it's own episode...and we needed more Tuvok with emotions scenes..=p

8. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

Tim Russ is an awesome actor. It isn't easy to do a Vulcan well (just look at T'Pel in ENT--ugh), but Tim nails it time and again. I was so glad he got to do Riddles and show us his brilliant smile! Tuvok is an excellent, if underutilized, character.

9. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Tuvok was well written and well acted.

I wasn't worried he didn't get allot of eps. written for him because his sarcastic dry wit more than made up for it due to Tim Russ' great comedic timing. Half way thru the series I ended up liking Tuvok way more than I did Spock and I believe Russ reset the standard of what it is to be Vulcan.

10. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

That's T'Pol.

T'Pel was Tuvok's wife.

Not a criticism of your typo, just a correction. ;)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  11. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Another Tuvie episode I liked a lot is "Innocence". Not only did the epsiode deal with aging (something they were unwilling to explore with Kes' character but that's another topic) but I enjoyed the interaction between Tuvok and the "kids".

12. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite line:

Child: "Mr. Tuvok, what are your children like?"
    Tuvok: "Well behaved."

:lol:

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're talking about Tuvok epsiodes and I saw one last week that I haven't seen that much of, Alter Ego. This is an episode that doesn't get talked about very much, but I gained a new appreciation for it. I kind of felt bad for Maryana, and the scene with the real Maryana and Tuvok on the station kind of reminded me of the one with Noss and Tuvok in Gravity.

As for the episodes mentioned in the thread:

Meld - Great episode and great introduction to Suder

Gravity - Not necessarily a favorite, but there was some good stuff going for it.

Riddles - Like Alter Ego, gained a new appreciation for this one. Kinda wished they allowed Tuvok to be that way for a while. Also, the stuff with Neelix and Tuvok were always welcome on this show.

14. I am not Spock

I liked Neelix/Tuvok. One of my fave relationships on Voyager. It was like the Odd Couple. The straight man and the funny man.

As such, I loved 'Riddles'. Although, there shouldn't have been an easy reset at the end. They should have kept Tuvie like that for a few episodes. I think Tuvok and Neelix should have had a better understanding of each other by season six in the show, certainly after the events of 'Tuvix'.

15. I am not Spock

I like 'Innocence' as well.

My fave Tuvok line is in 'Scientific Method'. Janeway is complaining about crewmembers not doing their jobs, and Tuvok responds with:

TUVOK: Shall I have them flogged as well? :lol:

Such a dry sense of humour.

16. Tachyon

I absolutely loved Janeway/Tuvok scene on Caretaker where they are in the ready room and Tuvok points out that the crew does not benefit from exhausted captain. That scene hit me like no other and I absolutely bought that these two had a true friendship they both cherished in their own ways.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Meld's definitely the best of those three - the Tuvok/Suder dynamic works well.

18. Gates

Gates Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I adore Tuvok. So much fun to see him interact with Neelix and mentor Kes.
    My favorite Tuvok episode is Innocence.