Billie Piper not involved in 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think a good multi-Companion adventure would be several companions working together to save the Doctor. four or five previous companions and the current one.

2. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Never seeing Rose, Martha or Amy again would suit me fine.

Wow... Just looked it up. William Russell is 88. I didn't realise he was almost 40 when Doctor Who started.

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Er... has the "50th Anniversary Special" even been written yet?

Last I heard, Moffat mentioned "having a few ideas", but nothing much more concrete than that.

Yet.

At this stage we've still no idea whether the anniversary will be celebrated in a single "special" episode, or whether the whole next series will be dedicated to it in some fashion. And if there is a crossover that brings together characters from the past with characters from the present, we don't have a clue if it will occur at the very beginning of the next series, or perhaps on the actual anniversary date of the first Hartnel episode, or if they'll build up to it over the course of the entire next series, with the crossover event taking place in the climactic final episode(s) of the season.

With the official anniversary as yet unwritten, and nearly a year in the future (give or take), isn't it maybe just a tad early for TPTB to be asking any old cast-mates about reprising their old characters?

The point is: Just because Billie Piper has yet to be approached doesn't negate the possibility that she'll be approached tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or any other time between now and the time the "special" actually goes before the cameras.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Ditto.

5. chardman

Screw that... Captain Jack and River Song need a whole SERIES together. Haven't they already established that River, like Jack, was a "time agent", and that's why she has the same kind of time-doo-hickie-wrist-band? Putting them together in their own show about two renegade time agents seems only natural.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well yes and no, if they want particualr actors to reprise roles, they'll have to make sure they are availble for specific dates, and the sooner you do that the easier it might be for shooting purposes.

As for the date, the BBC would be foolish not to avail itself of the actual date given that it is a Saturday.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Actually, I think they established (without actually saying his name) that River stole her time vortex manipulator off of Captain Jack's arm.

8. lurok

Screw that :) I just want those actors in same show. But make it funny/witty. They do that well.

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

She "bought" it from Dorium, who got it "off the wrist of a handsome time agent."

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see the Captain Jack and River Song show...it sounds better than the last season of Torchwood.

I'd like to see Carole Ann Ford and Georgia Moffett in the 50th special. There's questions that need answering...

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

A Captain Jack/River Song spin-off would be awesome. Get rid off Torchwood and focus on this.

Absolutely yes, a thousand yeses. I've said this before and I'll said it until I'm blue in the face, William Russell has to be in the anniversary special. I would love to see the contrasting ages of the actors and Ian's awe in seeing The Doctor looking so young when he's so old.

12. chardman

Thanx Omaha. You're right. I'd forgotten that. (Though I now recall that I always thought/hoped that Dorian swiped it from Cap'n John, rather than Cap'n Jack.)

Either way, both Jack and River are time travelers, utilize the same time travel technology, and have very similar personality types. Pairing the two together seems a no brainer, and would seem to have a lot more potential than a single adventure would do justice. I say giving them a series is the way to go. Either reboot "Torchwood" and bring in River to replace one of the characters from the original run who got killed off, or give "Torchwood" up for dead, and simply give Jack and River their own spin-off.

13. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have to be Happy Go Lucky Jack and not Moody Jack. Barrowman excels at the goofy but has very limited dramatic chops.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Matt Smith has said he expects to see the script in February.

I suspect that, if the script involves past Doctors, that Moffat has a draft because he'd need something to show the actors to sell them on it. A multi-Doctor story is going to involve a lot more negotiation with actors than most any other episode -- past Doctor actors aren't simply regular guest stars, they have expectations and demands. That's why there's a version of "The Five Doctors" script that features Tom Baker heavily, because it was an inducement to get Baker to sign. That's why Peter Davison and Colin Baker weren't thrilled with Adrian Rigelsford's script for "The Dark Dimension" because it didn't give them anything to do. There are a lot more moving parts, critical parts for a multi-Doctor story that need to get lined up. So Moffat's usual "write it at/after the deadline" approach isn't going to work. He'd have to write this one ahead of time.

Assuming, of course, that that's what Steven Moffat has planned for the anniversary.

Alex Kingston has said she wants to do exactly that. :)

15. lurok

Absolutely.

Jack/River screwball comedy. Bring it on.

(are the DW producers idiots? Why haven't they paired them up yet? madness)

16. chardman

Perhaps they plan to do so, but have legal considerations to deal with first? Last I heard, the premium channel Starz still holds a major interest in "Torchwood" and its characters. It may not be possible for the BBC to develop another project with the Captain Jack character, until after the deal with Starz has expired.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Then what are they waiting for?! :p

Stop being so damn busy, John Barrowman!

18. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well since G4 won't need him to co-host Attack of the Show anymore... his schedule should be free...

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm recording Arrow, haven't watched it yet, so, don't know if his part on there is limited, or ongoing, but, I know he's in some Arrow episodes.

20. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Y'know what amuses the heck out of me - how BBC can make a 14 episode "series" take two years to tell and yet you can have a modern American tv 'season' of maybe 22-23 episodes and have do the same in less than a year. I'm thinking of a show like Sons of Anarchy which has quite a bit of stunt work, sfx, and a very large cast of regular characters.

And it takes them ages to do even a two part episode - or do they just shoot all of it at once like we do - but milk it for all its worth over there?