The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

About Lori's Baby, I see a few possible outcomes in no particular order:

1. Baby is born and Lori Lives. There is no way for them to know for sure whether the baby is infected without advanced lab equipment. No new knowledge is gained, really, but everyone (mostly) is happy about this.

2. Baby is born and Lori dies in birth. Lori turns into a zombie, perhaps even during the pregnancy. Could be a pretty intense episode to have to deliver a baby from a zombie. No new knowledge is gained though.

3. Baby dies in the womb or during child birth. Turns into zombie and possibly kills Lori (if shes still alive) from the inside (this would be difficult seeing as how the baby will have no teeth, but I'm sure with enough zombie persistence it would eventually kill her) Gained Knowledge: We now know that there is probably no hope for a world without zombies because newborns/fetus are infected too.

4. Baby dies in the womb or during child birth. Does not turn. This could be very important because even if the baby is dead, it could show that newborns might not be infected. Ironically, the death of the baby could provide hope for humanity of a world without zombies.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Unless the zombie infection agent somehow prevents the birth of live babies even if it doesn't reanimate them, in which case the current generation would have to acknowledge that they will be the last humans ever.

3. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True. That's another scenario. But I feel like if that were the case, the baby wouldn't have made it far enough to grow into a fetus.

Ya know, the thing is, someone in the post apocalyptic Walking Dead universe has probably given birth to a baby (or tried to) by now. Lori can't be the only pregnant woman around (And she isn't, as we know there at least one in woodberry)... So somewhere out there in Walking Dead Land must know what's up... I bet we'll find out soon. Perhaps Andrea (and the viewers at home) will find out from talking to people in Woodberry.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Most likely scenario? Babies are born just as before the virus. Infected like everyone else. If they die, they turn, just like everyone else.

I really don't think Rick is "special" it goes against everything the story has been doing to this point.

5. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea I agree.

6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 'all babies are born undead thing' will already be known before Lori pops. Didn't the Governor say there was about to be a birth in the town?

7. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. If they're all infected and the child dies before/during/after birth, does the child become a zombie?

There's been positing that Rick had indeed died in the hospital as Shane had thought, but didn't become a zombie--similar to Hershel dying and being resuscitated and not becoming a zombie. If so, Rick may actually be immune, possibly along with Carl.

8. sojourner

^Don't count on it.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Regarding the Woodbury (Woodberry?) Baby about to be born and Lori's baby can't have much longer to go, I wonder if we'll have dual births in an episode soon, and a very different delivery in each birth (Intercutting scenes back and forth the whole time)

I agree with Propita, there's been definite hints that Rick was dead, and then wasn't (He's the Leader, he's the one being confided in with details) and Herschell's last episode strikes a similar chord. It could be nothing, but, it definitely seems they want us to believe it's something, if for no other reason to than mess with us.

10. sojourner

The only problem is that Rick's coma and all dialog referring to it are straight from the comic. The comic has made no indication that Rick is special.

From a story stand point it cheapens the peril and grimness of the situation if Rick has some special immunity.

I think people are reading too much into Shane's "I thought you were dead" comment (which is the only "hint" that has been made, contrary to self reinforcing rumors on the internet). We already know Shane wasn't the sharpest knife in the block and definitely not a doctor.

As for Herschel, that scene was the definition of "cheap thrill" and playing to audience expectation for the scene.

11. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

I felt that Shane wanted rick to be dead subconsciously and so he didn't "hear" anything. Plus he was scared shitless with what was going on outside. Dead walking, National guard shooting anything that looks sick. I'd be scared shitless too.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Right, and also Shane was in love with Rick's wife. What better opportunity to get Lori to fall in love with him? I don't even think that was conscious on Shane's part because he never believed that he was a bad guy.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

But didn't Rick lay there for several days without medical care or food before becoming mobile again?

14. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

you can go several days without food or water

15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The onscreen timeline doesn't make sense at least to me.

A. Rick after being shot falls into a coma

B. Zombie Apocalypse occurs while he remains unconscious

C. Hospital over run by Zombie's Shane abandons Rick and packs up Carl and Lori and they leave town

D. Helicopters are seen bombing the city of Atlanta [which by the way shows no evidence of mass destruction later]

E. Shane, Carl and Lori hook up with Dale et al and camp out near small liake

F. Presumably many, many days pass and Rick wakes up from a coma and discovers hospital is over run and heads up searching for them.

OK, based on this here are my questions where the onscreen timeline falls apart:

So Lori hooks up with Shane just a few days after Rick is thought to be dead and they begin a sexual relationship? :wtf:

While Rick is connected to an iv in the hospital It's my understanding that the human body can only go 3 possibly 4 days without water but onscreen we're at least lead to believe its a much longer time?

It's unclear what amount of time passes between after Rick wakes up and he reaches Atlanta by horse?

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I've (finally) caught up with this show! And let me tell you, I'm generally very very happy with how it's going and especially this new season - so glad to be on to the prison.

I'm especially glad that Shane's finally out of the picture - keeping him longer than in the comics was a good move, but he'd definitely worn out his welcome even as an interesting character there at the end. Perhaps mostly because of the undue influence he was having on Andrea.

Speaking of Andrea - so damned grateful she's finally, finally starting to be more of the Friendly Sniper comics Andrea and less of the unlikable Andrea-In-Name-Only of Season 1 and almost all of 2. Shame it had to wait till after Dale bit it - BOO! That's a massive, massive departure, and it should be interesting to see what the characters become like without his steadying grounded morality - more chance for Andrea to step up maybe? Hooking her up with Michonne like that and putting them in Woodbury is actually a fascinating choice to me, I look forward to them having conflict with the Governor.

Gonna miss Dale and especially Dale/Andrea since that was one of my favorite parts of the comics, but I guess Kirkman's right that it's still there to be read and the show is its own thing. His death was certainly one of the most gruesome thus far, it's just a shame he died thinking he'd failed.

Let me tell you, I was initially annoyed by the lack of Tyrese (and especially his "replacement" T-Dog, ugh - but he's gotten better too), but Daryl is serving to be a great right-hand-man in his own right. Great character so far, and his bonding to the group in the search for Sophia and then pulling away after was one of the good parts of S2. I look forward to his inevitable conflict with Merle over Rick's decision and Merle's place in Woodbury.

What else, ohh Maggie/Glen. If we can't have Andrea/Dale I'm glad we at least have these two lovebirds. The whole bit with Herschel (I still want a Herschel Walker pun somehow, dammit!) and the watch was a nice little scene.

You know who's a completely unlikable person in the show as compared to the comics? I know I said Andrea, but my god Lori... my god. What is it with taking the two main (initial) female characters from the comics and making them terrible people? Her little rant to Andrea about not doing "women's work" made me furious - not just the awful anti-feminism, but the sheer gall from somebody who'd just gotten back from an ill-planned one-woman commando raid. And of course let's not even get into the whole "You need to put Shane down/A real man would kill to protect me" that's followed up just a few episodes later with "OMG You monster! How could you kill Shane!" Those that have read the comics, I'm not forgetting something, right? Lori really isn't anywhere near this awful and is in fact pretty much a solid character? Let's hope this gets resolved pretty quick.

Regarding the baby, here's my thoughts:
    If they stick with the comics on this point, and I see no reason why they wouldn't, the baby will be born completely normally and will be perfectly healthy. Which of course doesn't mean the long-term prognosis for life is good in this world, but there's no "babies will be undead from the outset."

And about the "Rick is immune/special," I'm with sojourner here.

17. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

On the Lori/Shane thing, there were some indications that she and Rick were having problems before the world fell apart. In fact, I think that Rick and Shane have a conversation about that before the incident where Rick gets shot.

In a situation where the world is literally falling apart and shes told that her less than loving husband is dead, its not totally out of the question that she moves on quickly.

Plus, lets face it, Lori does not come across as the type of woman that would do well on her own. She's no Andrea.

18. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus, why exactly did share barriade Rick's room if he thought he was really dead?

Look folks, straight up, Rick is not "special." He was never meant to be special. He's just an ordinary guy trying to survive in an extraordinary world.

19. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

The producers said that Rick was there for 3 or 4 weeks. The general timeline might say even longer. I'm not really sure how long a single IV could last a person.

I don't think that implies any special qualities for Rick though. This just isn't that kind of show.

20. sojourner

My interpretation of Shane's "I thought you were dead" comment is " I boarded you into you're room as the hospital fell into chaos, I never got a chance to go back and look for you later because the place was overrun with zombies. Most likely you were dead".