Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subspace

Subspace Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So, the Sovie is still top Dog.

2. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

....until they come up with more ship classes for expansion packs.

3. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a separate class according to their recently released Federation ship list:

http://www.startrekonline.com/ships

It had been mentioned that the difference between each type within a tier is based on what type of bridge stations they're outfitted with.

However if you feel you need to upgrade from let's say, a Constitution to a Vesper-class because it has a better load out, but you still want your ship to look like a Constitution then you can alter its appearance.

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By the way, I call dibs on Robau.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I think that may get fought for.

6. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

Thanks for posting this! I found it to be a "fascinating" read. (sorry) Anyway, based on what I read here, I'm really excited about this game.

7. Cyke101

8. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Well check this out - the new trailer, from the Klingon perspective, clearly shows what appears to be a Connie....

A JJverse Connie, that is. ;)

Can you say, "Paramount-dictated retconning of the Prime Universe?" I knew you could!

9. Captain_Amasov

Yeah, that was mentioned to be in based on reports back from PAX last month. You'll also notice that the ship has the TMP-style warp engines on it, essentially the three ship classes they've listed within each tier display a very small fraction of the customizable pieces that you can swap out.

10. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the ship looked the like the Enterprise from the most recent film. Still looked pretty good.

The more I see of this game, the more interested I become in possibly getting it.

11. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't say that new trailer increased my want for the game.

12. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Aye, it's not really grabbing is it?

13. timothy1701

timothy1701 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't think it looks anything like the jjverse enterprise. looks more like the tmp enterprise, just more advanced nd refit. The other ships all look different too.

14. Cyke101

It's the curved nacelle pylons and the placement of the neck farther back on the engineering hull that nail her as the JJprise, though those are TMP style nacelles.

As for the ability to custom-build your own JJprise, I've no problems with that, cuz, after all, I can still get my Galaxy class. YaY!

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if you can custom-build your own Ambassador-class.

16. Arix

Arix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I should start by saying - I haven't read the other pages of this thread.

But I wanted to add that I'm Arix from the STO forums - of which I was actively a part of from about... August 08 through to Dec 08, then again from about March 09 until... well, a month or two ago.

I was originally really super excited about this game. And while I am still intrigued by the idea, one thing has ruined it for me - the story.

As an avid reader of Trek novels, I like the direction the novels have taken post-Nemesis (with Destiny and the Typhon Pact) MUCH more than I do this silly idea that the Klingons are once again the Federation's enemies! I think even if I hadn't read the books, I'd still think it was a stupid idea. Considering the history of the Klingon-Federation Alliance throughout TNG, and especially following the Dominion War, I think its a HUGE step backwards to make them enemies yet again. Especially when it means they aren't introducing new, BETTER enemies - or say, making old enemies who we don't know much about (like the Gorn, Tholians and Breen) join forces with their own alliance.

I just wanted to see if anyone at these forums felt the same way...

I'll still probably give the game a go, when its released, but I gave up on the forums entirely - they truly became a dull place when they merged the Star Trek section with the Off-Topic section.

17. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I was immensely disappointed with what Destiny has done to the timeline so I'm glad that STO isn't limiting itself to the novel's timeline.

As for the Klingons-Federation alliance in TNG and DS9 we were shown that the Klingons were less then united behind the idea of supporting a alliance with the Federation. They were constantly whining how soft and weak Humans and the Federation were throughout TNG and DS9.

The Klingons are also well known and popular making them a very sensible choice for an opposing side against the Federation. As for other enemies, they can be released as other factions later on.

18. Cyke101

On a mass market scale, I can see why the Klingons are back to being enemies. For one thing, most every non-Trekkie still sees Klingons as the opposition rather than the huge leaps they made with, say,TNG and DS9. And while they're enemies, they're still not really villains thanks to Worf, Torres, etc.

And yet there still needs to be a variation for players to choose from aside from Starfleet, the Klingons being the next logical step being as popular as they are. Like Johnny, I hope more playable sides are eventually released, like the Klingons and maybe even the Dominion.

Additionally, do we know the Klingons' storyline just yet? For all we know, we could be fighting offshoot factions as opposed to the official forces, and there's still plenty of time to paint the Empire in a sympathetic light as well.

19. Captain_Amasov

They're currently engaged with both the Romulan Star Empire and the Gorn Hegemony. Now after the destruction of Romulus the Federation offered aid to them, which the Klingons don't like one bit. The Federation feels that the Klingons are kicking a dog when it's down, Starfleet ships have even been used to blockade the Klingons to protect some Romulan systems.

Meanwhile the Gorn have also allied themselves with the Nausicaans to help them fight off the Klingons who are assaulting their territory, unfortunately raids by Nausicaan pirates continue to disrupt shipping lines on the edges of Federation space. This has caused the Federation Transport Union to refuse any official cargo shipment without proper protection from Starfleet.

However with so many Starfleet vessels assigned to both Romulan and Cardassian relief efforts the Federation Council has been relying heavily on civilian ships for routine deliveries to Federation member worlds, Starfleet Command reluctantly agrees to pull back from the Klingon-Romulan border and reassign those ships to patrol the shipping routes.

The situation between the Klingons and Gorn breaks down even further, the Klingons push further into Gorn territory threatening their homeworld. As raids on civilian ships and settlements along the borders of the Klingon Empire and Gorn Hegemony rise due to the Nausicaans, the Federation Transport Union demands that Starfleet increase its patrols along the border regions.

This puts Starfleet in the unfortunate position of having to balance the need for defense against the pirates with the Federation's deteriorating relationship with the Klingon Empire. Starfleet vessels on the border will be seen as a hostile act by the hardliners on the Klingon High Council, and tensions are already high because of the ships that Starfleet had been using to reinforce the Romulan border with the Klingon Empire.

20. Cyke101

Actually, and I should have clarified this so it's my fault, but when I asked if we knew the Klingons' story yet, I meant could they be considered purely antagonistic just yet? In games like WoW, EverQuest, or City of Heroes, it's pretty obvious who the playable villains are. But just because the Klingons disagree with the Federation politically doesn't truly make them villains in the "real" world (as opposed to in-game, and I'm quite sure the Gorn and the Romulans would disagree with me).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.