Starfleet Marine Corps

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Danlav05, Dec 1, 2012.

1. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Not only that, but as often as ST writers have went to the well to base a plot on the failure a technical device, I would think that everyone would want to take precaution before going into a room. -Particularly if they wear a red shirt.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the number of times that our hero encountered a "weapon deactivator," you would think they would carry a backup weapon of some sort, one that was non-technological and simple. An small compressed air gun or just a knife.

:)

3. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

How about having a good old-fashioned Klingon bat'leth, or a good pair of strong boots to give them a kick in the family jewels (as long as you can locate them.) :)

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The phaser rifle in all of its incarnations is a good bat and a parrying weapon. A bayonet might be useful, though. Even on the "pistol" sidearms...

Real-world pistol-knife combinations fail because pistols are difficult to balance to start with, having recoil and gas exhaust (meaning the presence of the knife blade harms the use as a pistol) and knives require some basics of holding ergonomics (meaning the pistol grip harms the use as a knife). TNG phasers would be a different matter: there's no reason to assume a bayonet would make the beam go awry, and the grip is oriented so that a bayonet aligned along the direction of the beam would actually be pretty ergonomic.

What I'd really like to see on the TNG phaser is a "stiletto rapier" functionality. It should be trivial for the handle to sprout a blade of adjustable length, from a few centimeters (for simple cutting purposes) to a dozen centimeters (knifefights) to a meter or so (slashing at an opponent armed with a typical edged or blunt instrument).

The STIX stiletto-katana is not the only way to go. The blade could be made of solid matter (say, simple steel rolling out from a spool), but also of some sort of jam-proof forcefields, or then materialized in place with replicator technology. Not all tech can be jammed, and making some of it jam-proof might actually result in a more reliable device than one based purely on mechanics. Larry Niven's variable-sword is always an option, too.

Timo Saloniemi

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even a baton of some kind would be an improvement over what Starfleet carries in to combat situations. I once came up with the idea of a stun baton (not an original name, I'll grant you) that was essentially like the kids collapsible swords, but having a small power source that could stun opponents. I think it is kind like a pain-stik, but more design to incapacitate rather than cause pain or kill.

I agree that some sort of jam-proof weapons would be preferred by any combat team, Marines or not. The ability to deal with opponents without the benefit of a phaser should be a part of at least Security training.

SolarisOne likes this.