The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The first reports are coming in of the final wave of the Vintage Collection shipping and arriving for those who've already ordered it. Notifications are showing up in e-mail inboxes that the cases are on their way to a lot of folks, so if anybody here ordered Wave 16 (Emperor's Royal Guard, Nien Nunb and the gang) in the past couple of months keep an eye peeled for your shipping notification and order.

2. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

So how long do you think it will take to make a Pope Vader action figure? I'd buy one. :D

[​IMG]

3. cooleddie74

That brings up all sorts of Padawan and youngling abuse jokes I don't even want to get into. :lol:

4. cooleddie74

A brief but entertaining video review of the VC102 "realistic" Clone Wars Ahsoka from the final wave of the Vintage Collection:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pLoE1Fw_qM4[/yt]

And the VC103 "realistic" Clone Wars Obi-Wan:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SPIiiOG9eeU[/yt]

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Tomorrow. Hot Toys Luke arrives at my door tomorrow. It will be a very long day at work. Prepare yourselves for pictures galore of the awesome.

6. cooleddie74

Can't wait, man! You'll be the first person I know who's gotten the Hot Toys Luke so I'll be very interested in seeing pics and hearing your opinion of him.

7. cooleddie74

I just found this online and had to share. This is a Star Wars collector who just received his or her case of the final 12 figures in the Vintage Collection and added them to their awesome wall display, every figure of which is protected by a Star Case.

[​IMG]

This is all 115 numbered, sequential action figures in the Vintage Collection from 2010 until now, including the two mini-figures (Salacious Crumb VC66, Mouse Droid VC67) that were available only in a 2011 San Diego Comic-Con exclusive Death Star set. The collector also added the Celebration V-exclusive 4-LOM and Zuckuss figures, the tribute to the Rocket-Firing Boba Fett that you had to order by purchasing figures and sending in a form and the Carbonite Jar Jar Binks from this year's San Diego Comic-Con.

8. cooleddie74

A Photoshop mockup for a conjectural Jabba's Sail Barge vehicle/playset in Vintage Collection packaging. There's currently a petition on the various collecting websites asking Hasbro to make this after 30 years of waiting for a Sail Barge in 3.75" scale to add to collections. The goal is at least 10,000 signatures and the current tally is a little under 1,600 after the first few days.

[​IMG]

It'd be really great if Hasbro could make and sell a Sail Barge in retro packaging by the time the Original Trilogy films hit theaters in digital 3D, even if they charge four hundred dollars for it. The current Vintage Collection repack of the Millennium Falcon that's a Toys "R" Us exclusive costs a whopping $249.99, so you know a Sail Barge would be a lot more.

9. cooleddie74

"Atomically" correct? Yes, I'm sure it contains many of the same kind of atoms that Mark Hamill does. ;)

Anatomically correct? As much as I enjoy collecting I'm not that into it. And I hope I never am. :p

10. OdoWanKenobi

He is here!

*Chorus of Angels*

I went a little crazy taking pics. Considering this is two whole figures, and incredible ones at that, it's understandable:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cooleddie74

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :techman: :techman: :techman:

That is...magnificent.

12. OdoWanKenobi

For comparison, here's the Sideshow Collectibles version from several years back. What a difference time makes, huh? This was once considered the height of high end action figures:
    [​IMG]

13. cooleddie74

Did you hear the breaking news, man?

Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion and we're getting STAR WARS: Episode VII sometime in 2015.

:techman: :techman: :techman: :techman: :cool:

14. OdoWanKenobi

Yes, I heard this. I get my new Luke, and then this news. This is one hell of a day for Star Wars for me.

15. cooleddie74

You know what this means, don't you?

Twenty more years of action figure collecting. It's going to kill us...stone dead. :lol:

16. OdoWanKenobi

We both knew Star Wars figures would never end.

17. cooleddie74

True, but this means at least twice as many, and we still might get the live-action SW television series Rick McCallum's been talking about for the past couple of years. I don't know whether to leap for joy and kiss the sky or pop a cyanide capsule. :p

Still...I love this hobby.

18. OdoWanKenobi

I love and hate this hobby in about equal measure. It's sort of like battered-wife syndrome.

19. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm so glad I never really got into collecting SW figures. :lol:

20. cooleddie74

At least for now most of the brand new characters come from the Clone Wars animated series and the Expanded Universe literature and video games, so for the next few years the numbers of new figures should be somewhat predictable and reasonable. After the new Trilogy kicks off, though, it's gonna be Thunderdome in Walmarts and Toys 'R' Us stores.