Revisiting TAS...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I have read it about fifteen or so years ago. From what I recall it was okay, but I enjoyed the TAS version better probably because of the familiar characters.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Except there's very little difference in how the characters are portrayed. Spock, Sulu, and Uhura deliver largely the same dialogue as Nessus, Jason, and Anne Marie and perform the same actions. The main difference is that the human characters aren't married in the TAS version. There are some plot details trimmed from the adaptation, mainly that the weapon was built by the Tnuctipun resistance rather than the Thrintun/Slavers themselves, but for the most part it's a remarkably faithful adaptation.

What's interesting to me about Foster's novelization, though, is that he doesn't reference Niven's original at all. I would've thought he'd be familiar with his colleague's work and fold some of the elided detail back in, but instead he fleshed out the story in his own independent way.

3. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We watched "The Pirates of Orion" the other day and it struck me how easily this story could have been a TOS episode.

I like the Orions' uniforms and the fact that they had green skin. The discussions between the Orion captain and his first officer were reminiscent of "Balance of Terror". Not crazy about their ship design, though.

In addition to referencing the Babel Conference and Coridan from "Journey to Babel", it contains two of TOS' hallmarks; the ship in trouble and a ticking clock. The ending plays out much like many TOS episodes did. Amazingly, for a "Saturday morning" offering, this Orion crew also attempts suicide...the Orion Captain even tries to "pop a pill" on the Enterprise bridge.

Curious as to why the Orions are referred to as "O-ree-ons", rather than the familiar pronunciation.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Err, except the Orions in TPoI had pale blue skin; it was their uniforms that were green.

I think I heard once that someone (Shatner?) thought it sounded too much like "O'Ryan." But I don't know for sure.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree...
    ... but I remember them as blue.

This is one of my favorites in all Trek. :(

Yeah, that's funny. William Shatner wasn't coached, I guess.

In centuries past, the vowel "i" historically sounded like our long "e", so I suppose someone not knowing how the word was pronounced might think it was "meant" to be pronounced that way. Perhaps in ancient times, it was?!?

6. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

I always liked "The Jihad". It had some good world-building, an interesting quest, and got the protagonists away from the ship. But it also sparked an idea: if the Vedala have time travel to the extent that they casually erase memories and return their helpers to the moment they left, they don't really need helpers. OTOH, if they can make transporter clones, they can have (and keep) all the helpers they might ever need.
    Kirk & Spock (and all the others) got recruited to help with this mission, and when they beamed over, they got "cloned" and sent back. After the adventure, the clones get returned to the transporter buffer with their memories erased. Now, whenever the Vedala need agents, they get woken up, thinking they just now arrived to help, and willingly go do whatever's needed, only to have a new memory wipe every time they return to the buffer.
    Makes the Vedala less powerful, maintains the mystery a bit, and makes them a bit darker.

I loved ADF's adaptations, but I first saw them shortly after reading "The Tar Aym Krang", so I already liked his writing style.