Terrorism/Bombings

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tippy, Apr 20, 2013.

1. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Well I grew up with terrorism, I am from Northern Ireland. A neighbour murdered by a car bomb, a guy I went to school with gunned down in a bar.
    Strangely enough two thirds of those killed were by groups supported by Rep. Peter King and Plastic Paddies.
    I condemn the Boston Bombing but maybe Americans should look at their own double standards?

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah really. I had never heard of Patriots Day before. I didn't think some guy in Yemen would have known about it.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because the terrorists have mentioned Patriots Day as figuring into their timing here?

4. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek at it's best commenting on society. They did Vietnam stories during the original run as the war was going on. Deep Space 9 preceded 9/11 but it did do episodes that sure hit home afterward with Paradise Lost and Homefront.

-Chris

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm from near Birmingham, England, which had the crap blown out of it on multiple occasions.

I was going to say pretty much what you did...

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It could be the Patriot's Day thing was just a coincidence. Hell, I'm an American and I had no idea that Monday was "Patriot's Day."

I think more people have heard of the Boston Marathon . . . .

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the "Patriot's Day" angle is completely conjectural. People fill in the blanks with all kinds of stupid stuff.

The "meaning of the Boston Marathon" is a big gathering of people in an unsecured public place. This isn't rocket science, and there's no need for people to congratulate themselves in retrospect because they made wild guesses and now can fit some of them into a narrative; it's offensive.

8. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

You really need to stop harassing and refrain from willfull misuse of terms such as "spam." If you feel the need to correct or point something out then please do so politely, it would be appreciated.

Also, a link to the appropriate "help" page regarding "multi-quote" would have been a thoughful addition to your correction as "mult-quote" is a feature that I personally am unfamiliar with. Perhaps if you restrained yourself from trying to ascribe dire meanings or motivations to my postings we could all enjoy friendlier interactions.

Please note I am looking to avoid any escalations of hostilites.

Definition of "spam": "Send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet."

Each one of my posts were unique and in response to what was written previously. Was there an alternate way of posting perhaps, however, that should be a matter of choice.

Thank you and with all due respect.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

For a few directly affected by them? Perhaps, depending on the individual.

For the vast majority of the viewing public? Of course not. Terrorism has been going on long before films were around, and it is a dog whistle topic for modern "entertainment".

Something tells me that he may not be a particularly sympathetic villain - I doubt we'll be getting too much in-depth analysis of the morality of his actions (though I would be delighted to be pleasantly surprised).

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Citing the board FAQ sections concerning Spamming:
    and Replying to a Post:
    Simply click that button on each of the posts to which you wish to respond, then click the 'Post Reply' button. The board software will quote all of them within a single post, and you can write your reply to each.

11. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Thank you. I shall do my best to make use of that from here on out.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Are they running a marathon in 23rd century alternate universe London before Cumberbatch and his brother set off the bombs? Otherwise, I'm not seeing much of a parallel other than both involving terrorism (in which case we might as well delay the Blu-Ray release of the latest Die Hard). Most people (and especially those not directly affected) aren't as sensitive to this kind of stuff as the media and the people making the movies or TV shows worry that they are. They can distinguish between reality and fiction.

13. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Well, for those who feel offended about my comments, I would like to let you know that I feel regret and shame for having posted that comment.

As for watching the film, the discretion of watching it is left to the individual. I read once that many veterans of World War II were incapable of watching war films because it would bring up those memories and feelings to the surface.

14. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Are we really comparing the rinky-dink fourth rate terrorist bombing of the Boston Marathon to World War II? If so, then I suppose Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, and many other countries are experiencing a new world war every week.

People are being too sensitive about this. And honestly, unless you were directly involved, there's no earthly reason for being offended by an act of terrorism in the 23rd century universe of Abrams' Star Trek.

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

We are not comparing them, per se. throwback was citing an example of people being unable to watch movies which reminded them of traumatic experiences they'd been through personally. Referring back to the question asked at the beginning of this thread:
    I think that, for those who either:
    A) went through the the Boston bombing and/or its aftermath themselves
    or
    B) were indirectly involved by way of having friends or relatives among the casualties or the emergency response/law enforcement contingent​
    there may some scenes in this movie which they would find disturbing to one degree or another. As individuals, they're each looking at a similar problem to that faced by one of the combat veterans cited above: PTSD, and avoiding certain triggers may be something those people will have to do for years to come, perhaps for the rest of their lives.

Do I think that the events in Boston are likely to have a significant effect on the movie's performance at the box office? It's an interesting question, given the timing, but no - I think that effect will be negligible, as the number of people thus affected is statistically quite small. As much attention as it got in the media, it was still essentially a local incident.

16. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Im sure anyone whos ever been involved either in the event or aftermath of a bombing would be affected by a storyline involving a terrorist attack, anyone living in London watching a film sequence involving a terrorist attack in London could feel uncomfortable after the numerous attacks in the past from the 7/7 bombings in 2005 to incidents involving the IRA and others.