Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, it made sense. I mean, a real person may not have been able to focus and shoot a gun like he did to propel himself into the other ship, but he would almost certainly survive.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A real person wouldn't have a Neural Clone doing everything in its power to keep him alive, though.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, no, but a real person, assuming they knew to exhale before opening the door, would survive for a little while.

I mean, it would suck, but they'd still live.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

You got a hooker when you bought it? :lol:

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

QFT.

:bolian:

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

"I'm nobody's puppet!" -Rygel, "A Clockwork Nebari"

Okay, that made me burst out laughing. I somehow missed it the first time I watched this show.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Okay, folks, dilemma!

The Austin Pan-Geeks will be watchin' Farscape from the start, beginnin' in March. That's why I bought the box set, for my scifi geek group.

We've been watchin' BSG from the beginnin' for about six months now, and will finish at the end of February (two episodes a week, every week). But, I've seen BSG before, so I knew what the rest of us were in for, while a couple of the guys who have been comin' out hadn't, so its new to them.

I haven't watch Farscape before...so, do I crack open the box, and watch it myself, or wait & watch it with everyone else?

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'd wait. It would be fun to experience it for the first time with a group.

I'm watching Farscape with a couple of my friends, and it's a little annoying because every few minutes they ask me, "What happens next?"

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Since I prefer watching movies and shows alone, I'd vote for watching it now, but if you prefer to watch stuff with other people, then yeah, wait.

10. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say watch yourself first. Farscape always felt more personal and emotional when I got to see it without loud interruptions. Now that I'm watching it again with a friend, the experience feels enhanced because it adds an extra dimension to things. But if I'd switched the order, I would have felt more distracted.

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Now that I've re-watched the "spacewalk" scene, I'd have to say it's unlikely he would have been able to manage that.

For one thing, I rather doubt John's eyes would have been working all that well in vacuum. The liquid surface layer would evaporate fast, significantly reducing visual acuity.

Plus, the chances of maintaining consciousness for the 20 or so seconds he was out there are low at that altitude.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, but he's John Crichton. He can handle a lot.

13. Skywalker

I got my copy of The Peacekeeper Wars today. :techman: The complete series set actually shipped sooner than Amazon originally said, so it'll be here in a couple days, too. :D

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

My set arrived today! I need to go ahead and get the Peacekeeper mini I suppose now.

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Y'all should have gone with Best Buy...

;) :D

16. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I REALLY loved that sequence, so I don't care that it may stretch believability a tad. Same goes for the rest of the show. It's Sci Fi, so I don't have the same expectations of realism that I do with modern day TV.

17. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I pretty much agree with you on everything.

I never (and still don't) "get" the "funny" in Farscape. It's funny eps leave me cold. I think the humor is an acquired taste. And as for Fart jokes... wait for a couple of seasons in between ... there are "sick" jokes coming... To the fan's credit - they generally assign low points to that season 4 episode.

Rygel and some of the aliens who are puppets look a little too puppetty. (There's one that I remember that humps Aeryn's leg! Funny to say but looked silly). But over here - I have to say - (and I started watching Farscape regularly towards the end of Season 3 (with Fractures, I think) and then watched the previous episodes later) - there was some episode that I don't recall which totally sold me on the Dominar!! I think it was the voice actor who finally pushed the puppet thru to me.

But as fans will (and have) tell you - it gets better in season 2 and season 3. I think the Dedalus Demands/Icarus Abides two-parter and then the last 3 eps of season 3 and the last 5-6 ep arc of season 4 - fantastic stuff...

And wait till you see the Scarrens in season 4 - I thought that was fantastic fx...

Returning on-topic about the DVD set release of Farscape - it was briefly covered as a recommended series to purchase on National Public Radio (NPR) in the Fresh Air section on December 10 titled "Classic TV on DVD Makes A Personalized Holiday Gift"

18. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tell me about it. For a long time "Out of Their Minds" was my least favourite episode of the series.

Seriously. Upon rewatching, though... yeah, it's not as bad as I remember. It may even be fairly good, once I'm willing to stoop to its level (it is a very puerile story at heart, full of body parts and fluids, and you've got to roll with that to like it at all).

Even still, Farscape's humour is... just one of those things.

But Crackers do not matter, and margarita shooters don't go with pizza.

19. Skywalker

It's here! It's finally here! :D

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the great things about watching a season one hasn't seen in ages is the good reminder of how good some of these episodes are, and realizing some of the missed opportunities because of the cancelation. Case in point, A Clockwork Nebari. This one might get lost because the next four are all part of the season finale, but this was an awesome episode, and I wish it was brought up again later on. Loved both Edgley and Browder in this episode, especially with John having the surfer dude motif. I was cracking up throughout the entire thing.