What if a BSG-styled remake of Babylon 5 was made?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, Apr 26, 2009.

1. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    I thought this thread died ages ago. :confused:

Anyway, I'd say a re-mastering of the live action footage, as well as doing modern versions of the CGI and FX shots (TLT give us a glimpse of that and they really did a bang up job, esp. with the station) would be awesome and more than enough. In the same vain as the original SW trilogy, the story of B5 is strong enough on its own and is in no way dated enough to warrant a "reimagining".

2. Scarpad

Scarpad Lieutenant Commander

No remake is needed, B5 told it's story, it does not need to be "topped"

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because it CAN'T be topped.

Certainly not by New Galactica.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Eh, the story of B5 was good. A few annoying contrivances here and there but that's forgivable. Not bad for a Space "Lord of the Rings".

5. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed!

6. griff

griff Cadet Newbie

Ya know, you make some good points - but there was actually a reason they kept it contained.... Remember after the Shadow war, when Dr. Franklin and Marcus went to Mars to enlist their aid against President Clark? They talked to some people on Mars about this galactic war and the response was "what war?" .... a small line, but it says a lot about how Clark had been manipulating Earth... it was a humorous exchange to be sure, but kind of ironic as well.

7. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Brains! Brains!

8. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always wanted to have a B5 style story in the Dilger War era. Wouldn't have to BE b5, but Earth expands, meets aliens races, finds out about a brutish race and then decides for moral intrest to defend these races.

And the Humans after the war are not the same that came in.

Just my .02 cents. I would of loved to see Babylon 5 with twice the budget and not squeezing in the war two quickly since they didn't know they would have a 5th season, but I accept Babylon 5 for what it is. A flawed Classic SF with a novel like story arc that makes sense.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Necro! Necrooooo! :D

If someone must revive B5, just do the Telepath War. I'd to see that.

B5 was not brainless or short on substance, so I don't see how making it more serious a la nuBSG would help. It's serious enough.

As for style, nuBSG cold be pretty tiresome at times with all the angst and navel gazing and shaky cam, so there's nothing to be gained there.

10. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

The first thing that would happen is he'd get rid of all the aliens. There were no aliens in his BSG and thus no aliens in Babylon 5, they'd be different human colonies, the mind powers would probably dissappear, the L5 Colony would remain as would the jump gates and hyperdrives, but the ships would fire machine guns, and the computers would run on DVDs.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm good with NuBSG and I'd be fine with another "New" Series continuing it's tone, but, NO, Existing Series that are already "dark" enough with their "Fantastical Elements", don't need to be made darker and strip their Fantastical elements away, IMHO

12. Silvercrest

Why?

What does one have to do with the other?

13. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Because BSG has no aliens, the cylons were built by humans, there were no aliens.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a BSG-style remake of Andromeda or Earth: Final Conflict.

15. Silvercrest

That has nothing to do with B5. You sound as though RDM will not feature aliens in any of his works.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

psssst...check the thread title, "BSG-Style remake of Babylon 5"

17. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Um, I don't remember ever being promised a 'galaxy wide war'... considoring how the Babylon 5 Galaxy is barely explored yet, i think it'd be hard to do a war on the scale you're describing and fit within the confines of the Babylon 5 universe...

Nothing ever said in Babylon 5 points to a war that stretches the galaxy across... in fact, exactly the opposite is true...

In And The Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place, Sheridan and Delenn are studying Shadow attacks from the start of the war, and they graphically plot these attacks on the War Room Map...

[​IMG]

So, according to the episode in question, the entire Shadow war takes place in a tiny sector of space, that barely covers a 10th of the galaxy...

Again, this is brought up in The Summoning, when Lyta Alexander is stressing just how much destruction will be caused by the Vorlon-Shadow War. She exclaims, "Nothing within seventy light-years will survive untouched!"

Seventy light years? the Shadow war, the massive 'galaxy spanning war', covered 70 light years?

Well, given the Babylon 5 station is only 18 light years from Earth... as stated by Lise Hampton Edgars when she tells Garibaldi that she didn't want a relationship with someone who was "18 light-years away"... so saying the entire Shadow war barely covered a 10th of a galaxy, is backed up repeatedly through the series... as it's often said about explorer ships on the "Rim of known space", again this is backed up in A Distant Star, when Captain Jack Maynard is not too thrilled with his job of mapping new regions of space. He complains, "Oh, back out to the rim. The NEW rim, now that we've finished mapping Sector 900. We're hoping to build two new jumpgates by the end of the year, and then have Earth follow up with survey ships."

This clearly says that the "rim" is the edge of known space, as such it recedes as humans and other races explore our region of the galaxy... not the "Rim of the Galaxy" or any such nonsense...

Hyperspace travel in B5 is extremely limited, that's the point of it... while it's pretty fast to get around some systems, for exploration, it's limited as all hell, as you can only follow Hyperspace beacon trails, and if you go too far, you're off the grid, lost, and generally never seen from again...

M

18. Silvercrest

The premise of BSG does not automatically preclude the existence of aliens. After all, there were aliens in the original, and nothing in nuBSG eliminated the possibility that there were still aliens out there somewhere. They just didn't fit into the story that RDM wanted to tell.

And the premise of B5 does lend itself more toward aliens. Yes, you could tell a similar story with human colonies if you wanted-- but if the premise allows either one, then it's simplistic to say, "BSG-style = no aliens ever!!!"

And if you did, it wouldn't really be an accurate version of B5. That show required beings like the Shadows and the First Ones, beings from before humanity. The premise of those races requires them to be aliens. How would you change them to fit? How would you tell the story without them?

By the way, there's nothing in either premise that requires machine guns and precludes energy weapons, either.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone making nuBSG categorically stated that in their universe, there were no aliens. RDM said it, EJO said it (and threatened to walk off the job if aliens were ever introduced), so I'd count that as canon.

20. Silvercrest

Okay, fair enough. Does that mean "BSG-style" automatically means "no aliens ever" even when you try to apply it to B5?