Doctor Who set/on location reports thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops! You are certainly correct! Obviously, I was misremembering the tartan scarf. Now, was this just my imagination, or was Sarah wearing the Doctor's "regular" scarf (as knitted by Madame Nostradamus) in their first scene as the TARDIS trio are traipsing through the brush?

Sincerely,

Bill

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Harry is wearing the Doctor's usual scarf and Sarah is wearing his hat. The Doctor is in a more local hat and scarf.

http://kotwg.blogspot.kr/2013/10/terror-of-zygons-dvd-review.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nM04a7t1FLY/UnBFVmn72lI/AAAAAAAAEX4/gbGycA5fHM0/s1600/tz_1.png

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oy! That's it! I'm bloody well going senile! :wtf:

Sincerely,

Bill

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It happens to the best of us. The Doctor and Sarah have a couple of scenes where they are giving the Brig a hard time. The Brig's kilt is one, another is when the Zygons knockout the village so the scarasan can go by unnoticed. Baker and Sladen played off each other wonderfully in that episode.

5. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

The link isn't working for me :(

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clara on her own, but carrying the sonic screwdriver? A Doctor-lite episode? If so, I called it in the other thread, even with the episode count knocked down from 13 to 12 regular episodes, they're still keeping the Doctor-lite episodes.

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing there are still episodes where the Doctor hands his screwdriver to a friend and it's NOT a Doctor-lite show. I'm sure it's just as likely he's off battling an alien graffiti artist or something with a squeegee, bucket & soap. SPACE soap, natch.

Also, I know we've seen it elsewhere in Capaldi's hands but I'm glad the Doctor has not (yet?) sprung for a new sonic. Not EVERY incarnation has had a distinctive incarnation of the thing. Unless he HAS gone and made a new one up, and has passed this one second-handedly to Clara...

Mark

9. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Romana, Jack, River,Sarah,the Adipose lady, The Master and Jackson Lake (well, ok not really) all had their own varations on the screwdriver, although I don't think we've ever seen River get her version-just what happened after.

The 'classic' screwdriver went through a few changes, until it was destroyed in The Visitation. The Sixth Doctor kind of had a sonic lance which only appeared in Attack of the Cybermen, and the Seventh was also 'hands-free' until the TV movie (Although I think it shows up in the novels earlier). The Mccoy/ Mcgann/TV movie version wasn't all that different in design either.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

How else would you keep selling merchandise?

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Actor Christopher Fairbanks.

No batman this time to dangle him off the edge of a building

12. Doctorwhovian

^He was also in Alien3 which had Paul Mcgann :).

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some changes have been made to it. A video a few months back of filming Capaldi using the screwdriver revealed it no longer has the spring-out claws.

14. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Come on, no, don't let this be true, please no, c'mon, show us a picture of Capaldi on the set of that episode, please?

Getting rid of the Doctor-lite episodes is one of the few good things Moffat actually did, why, just why. Why do they bother with them?

I am also waiting for any official conformation of classic villains. We've had rumours but that's it, the closest we've had so far is the reports that the clockwork droids will appear in the first episode and that's it, not even a picture to confirm so plus they're not quite classic villains anyway. I just pray they're not going to do another series 6 on us and have no classic villains, that's the reason why most of it sucked balls. Is a picture of a dalek or the master too much to ask for?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Because it saves time and money if you can shoot two episodes simultaneously, one focusing on the Doctor and the other with very little of the Doctor. Space: 1999 also did this frequently in its second season, alternating between episodes that focused on Martin Landau and had very little of Barbara Bain and episodes that focused on Bain with very little of Landau, so that they could shoot two episodes at a time and avoid falling behind schedule. And that was for most of the season, not just one pair of episodes. (Then there was Maverick back in the '50s -- initially it had only one lead, but after a few weeks they gave him a brother and alternated between the two leads on consecutive weeks so they could overlap productions and stay on schedule.)

And consider this: The alternative way to avoid falling behind schedule is to do a clip show, an episode consisting mostly of flashbacks to previous episodes. Given the choice, I'd rather see the occasional Doctor-light episode. (I don't think Doctor Who has ever done a clip show, unless you count the way the ending of "The Wheel in Space" set up a rerun of "The Evil of the Daleks" as a mental projection the Doctor was showing Zoe. "The Trial of a Time Lord" doesn't count, since the "flashbacks" -- and flashforwards -- were new material.)

16. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The thing is the vast majority of doctor-lite episodes have been absolutely terrible, even Blink to me was just average at best. Plus the set photos remind me a bit of Fear Her, plus that seems like the sort of stuff Moffat pulls off nowadays.

And yeah, unless a doctor-lite episode involved the return of an old companion of another classic doctor (cue Paul McGann ;)) would happen, then I'd choose old clips over a remake of Fear Her.

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Christopher, given the choice, I'd rather that they used effective planning and organization to produce the full number of episodes like before.

Mr Awe

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'm actually wondering if they might be doing a Doctor-lite to allow Capaldi to make a guest-starring return to The Musketeers, which is still filming season 2...

19. Doctorwhovian

I don't think the reason season six was a weak season was because there were not a lot of classic monsters/companions/Doctors (apart from "Closing Time", the semi-Nimon from God Complex and the Dalek cameo). It was more the River Song/Silence arc and it's execution IMO. The stronger episodes were the stand alones such as "God Complex" and "The Girl Who Waited" as well (Ok they were a few flops such as the pirates one as well)

Personally I also prefer the show develop some newer, original villains as well. Sure, they can't all be Weeping Angels (and even those guys are getting a bit old and overused) but there's been some good ones here and there. Nostalgia's often good and all but there are not just fans from the classic show watching.

Besides, there have been a few pics and rumors that
    Tegan and the Master-although probably in a new body-might be back.

If you need a Paul Mcgann fix, he is still doing the audios and they've been sort of linking bits of their continuity to "Night of the Doctor" and other new series stuff a bit here and there. For instance the new Master they cast for his audios is supposed to be the one involved in the time war and who eventually regenerated/humanized into Yana.

20. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

If that's the case, it's actually pretty decent of them to give him the flexibility.

Mr Awe