Different kind o Trek

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by KMCarr, May 18, 2014.

1. KMCarr

KMCarr Guest

How about a series without all of the technology? No star ships, transporters, replicators or holo suites. A series that has two characters from TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Perhaps Guinan, Dr Crusher, Quark, Nog, Janeway and Torres get stranded on some planet at the far end of the Gamma quadrant by Q who shows up occasionally to laugh at them and the planet is otherwise inhabited by people who the Borg declined to assimilate because there was just something really odd about them.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Pass. Next newbie's goofy idea?

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My usual response to such goofy ideas is the person should just write their own story and not bother setting it in the Star Trek universe if they want to remove everything that makes it Trek.

4. KMCarr

KMCarr Guest

Now now, maintaining a sense of humor is key to a healthy life.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

True, but joke threads are frowned upon here.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So no "Stars" and no "Trekking"?

7. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...wait, wait, I know...it can be all about these people...this group of people that the Borg would not even go near...and they could be placed, like, on a I don't know like private place where they would have to...no, like on an island, yea, an island where they would hafta live and like survive and stuff...and there could be allies and like a contest and if they lose then they can't stay there any more...

8. KMCarr

KMCarr Guest

Humor is frowned on eh? That comes across as being antithetical to the spirit of the Trek franchise.

Actually, Nerys, I think that one reason Enterprise didn't make it to the usual seven-season run is because there really wasn't anything truly new and inventive about it. Trek had finally fallen prey to formulaic boredom. Let's see, another starship named "Enterprise", lots of prosthetic makeup, let's make it even more violent than DS9, we'll need a Vulcan and a witty doctor and an engineer... YAWN. The only new stuff was someone had a pet dog and retro technology (retro from the previous three series). On top of that, UPN had to remind us constantly of how advanced their onscreen-during-the-show ad-graphics technology had become. I think that Trek as it was (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) has reached its end because it no longer challenges the imagination.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No, humor is not frowned upon here. But creating topics just for the purpose of making dumb jokes that do nothing to stimulate interesting conversation is.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Gilligan's Planetoid?

:)

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The amount of effort that goes into Fan Fiction and Fan Films astonishes me when, invariably, they are always subpar - most usually because of funding issues, but not just that. They usually don't know the "rules" on how to set up a story, or the dialogue is shite, or the acting is horrible, or the environment's cheesy-looking, or all of the above. It's like they just go the STAR TREK route to make sure somebody reads, or watches it. Some also go the route of "comedy," like this person, to mask a poor idea, or to excuse the lack of funding, which makes it even worse. I'd be much more interested in reading/seeing an original idea, especially one that the author is passionate about. It might not be great entertainment, but it might be great, creatively ...

12. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

Agree. Star Trek had grown stale. Same old thing. Same old casting. Same old stories. YAWN. It deserved to be cancelled, although Manny Coto showed us what Enterprise SHOULD have been.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You'll get no argument from me that part of the reason for the failure of ENT is that many considered it same old, same old. Or if you prefer ; It's the same now it sucks

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItstheSameNowItSucks

Some even level that same critisim at VOY, but perhaps the opposite was true for some with regards to DSN, basically They've changed it now it sucks

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks

But your view might differ depedning on what you like, whcih show served as your introduction to ST etc..

Could a ST set on a planet work possibly, depending on the execution. But I think if I were to go down that route I would set it in the early days of the Federation when tech was more minimal, and maybe go down the route of a colony ship that goes off course etc.. After all haven't we come across lost colonies, or colonies who wanted to go down a different route from the accepted standards of that time? But once again it comes down to execution.

14. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

If somebody is really good with a low budget, chances are he/she is doing something more original