Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 23, 2013.

1. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

A few of you mentioned Janice Lester. Frankly, I'd be just as happy if they just retconned it so that women could always be captain - and Janice couldnt be captain because she was NUTS, not because she was a woman.

after all, we saw women captains in the movies.

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I just don't think we've seen enough (if any) women Captains in this universe to prove JL wrong.
    In TOS including the movies I remember just one woman captain and that was well after the time of JL.

3. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

The next Star Trek Movie : Enterprise VS Alien (you know, the Riple's Alien, or in Alien vs Predator or like in The Alien 2)

In their 5 years Exploration Mission, the Enterprise get a distress signal from the far most colony of humanity. but when they arrived, there is no one there. It is revealed that the cause of the destruction is / are a parasite / carnivorous creatures that attack in a pack (well, imagine Zerg from starcraft). Now, it is not only the away team life is in danger, but the ship also.

well, I still remember the motion sensor of Terran Marine in the movie of Alien 2. Just imagine if the Enterprise Crew face these dangerous creature, and how they are surrounded and must survive against this menace.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There's at least one wearing captains stripes in the briefing after the Harrison attack.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I assume you're talking about "Ripley" or "Ridley", and "Aliens", the second movie ?

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Yeh but the only captains we really know about are Pike, Robau, Marcus, Kirks and that guy Spock was assigned to.
    I saw that there were women in that captains/FO meeting but it was very much in the background. I doubt the non-Star Trek fans saw it. If JL came in raving about no women captains unless you were looking quickly you might agree with her. Of course Spock could just list off the women captains.
    But if there were clearly women captains and she was insane she'd find something different to be oppressed about.

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a Vulcan sitting to the left of Admiral Marcus in that briefing room. If memory serves, she was a woman in an admiral's uniform. (Gotta go see the movie again!)

In both universes, the first captain of NX-02 was Erika Hernandez. Of course that's not Starfleet, if it matters.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have to admit that I didn't see Turnabout Intruder until '76 or '77 and that I was still fairly young, but even then I just thought Lester was just batshit crazy and still do.

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

- Regardless of the original intent of saying women couldn't be starship captains, Janice Lester's remark can easily be read as ambiguous and could also refer to starship captains not being able to carry on lasting romantic relationships --in this case with a woman. This fits Kirk's problem in prior relationships (Carol Marcus) and later ones (Antonia). Look at the context of the remark. It's about their romantic relationship, so it's easy enough to retcon the captain remark to also be about that as well.

- Lester was crazy, so she's an unreliable witness.

- There were female captains prior to the TOS era (Erika Hernandez), soon after the TOS era (the female captain in STIV and the female captains/flag officers in the Starfleet conference in STVI), and in the alternate universe TOS era (there are at least six women present in the Daystrom conference of captains, XOs, and flag officers in STiD). Then you have Number One from The Cage. If women weren't allowed to command, it wouldn't make much sense to give them the XO position either where you're constantly filling in for the captain anyway, and would take over in the event of his death or incapacitation.

- It's such an anachronistic and sexist remark that it's best to just forget about it and not try and incorporate the gender hangups of the 60s into modern storytelling.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they already brought the 60s miniskirts back, so... ;)

11. Belz...

It's Starfleet. It's just not Federation.

12. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the emphasis that Hollywood has had on recent movies like Transformers and the upcoming Pacific Rim, involving giant war machines, let's see the planet killer in the next movie! :devil:

13. Belz...

Hummm... Klingons or Borg or planet killer... or something else...

I can't decide which one I'd prefer, but I have a soft spot for the Doomsday Machine. However, I'm not sure I want to see another big ship vs 1701.

14. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This seems to be the writer's mindset. A NuTrek movie must:

*Feature an iconic part of Trek. That is to say, the few things that have slipped into the public consciousness and pop culture.
    *Not have a plot that you need to know Trek lore to understand
    *Conducive to action scenes.

The Klingons are the safest bet for them. They're one of the most recognizable aliens in Star Trek after those ones with the pointy ears.

The "Go back in time to save whales" plotline might work. That went over well the first time and is one of the most fondly remembered Trek movies. This time, though, they would have to fight against lots of guys with machine guns and stuff in order to save the whale.

The Mirror Universe might work. And you'd save money on villians since most of the villians are played by the same set of actors. (Maybe Kahn is good in that universe if they want to bring Cumberpatch back.)

Or they could come up with something original.

15. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching TUC on SyFy right now and a thought came to mind, what with the foreshadowing of a war with the Klingons...

Two words.

General. Chang.

Or maybe Colonel Chang at this point since he'd be younger. But yeah...I could see it.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

With the year long gap between the incursion on Kronos and the epilogue of the film leading into the Enterprise's five year mission, it seems as though either relations with the Klingons have improved or remained stagnant, or they're just really slow to respond.

The After Darkness comics take a different approach because they apparently lack the one year time jump, but in the movie, I would think that if the Klingons were going to retaliate in force, they would have done so by now. Maybe the destruction of Praxis and the poisoning of their atmosphere is too much of a distraction for them to be able to afford a costly war with the Federation, so they've just been posturing instead.

17. Belz...

Or they have no clue what happened and haven't managed to blame the Federation for it.

18. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really do not want to see the Klingons as the focus in the next film. As background characters, fine. But the Klingons are the Trek race that has been most done to death.

Furthermore, I'd really like to see J.J. and company tackle something completely new and fresh, rather than riffing on an old villain or storyline. You can still have all the fun callbacks to TOS. Just don't make the main plot or antagonist something straight out of TOS.

19. Belz...

That might actually be a reason to use them: they are familiar to even casual Trek viewers.

20. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

I still.say mirroruniverse but this time the big E meets friendly Fed style Klingons battling the Terrain Empire aligned with nu trek Klingons.