The "PLEASE remaster DS9 thread"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by LtChange, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi,

I'm from Germany and I just signed in here to tell that I'd LOVE to see DS9 as well as Voyager make their way to HD on Blu-ray. :)
    A big kiss and "Thank You!!" to all the people working on this wonderful project.

And I'd also love to see/hear separated music-only-tracks on selected episodes like f.e. "Best of both worlds", which has such a marvellous score.
    If it's no big deal I would of course like EVERY episode coming with an audio track.
    As I know so many of them already by heart, it would be also a funny experience, as I could do the dubbing all by myself then while watching the episodes with the music only, :lol:
    I wish all ST series to come in HD, please _MAKE IT SO_! :bolian:

2. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

I would absolutely buy all seven seasons of DS9 on Blu-ray, on release day. I generally wait for a good price on TV seasons rather than buy them straight away. But with DS9, considering the work CBS is putting into remastering Trek and the astounding results, I wouldn't want to wait.

But as for the wisdom of releasing DS9 on Blu-ray, I hope CBS realise that they have an opportunity to market DS9 in a different way to the other Trek shows. Because it's more serialised and the characters' actions are often morally ambiguous, it has as much in common with contemporary serialised dramas as it does with traditional, stand-alone Trek like TNG and Voyager, certainly in the later seasons.

Consequently, I expect a number of new Trek fans will be surprised to discover what DS9 truly is. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that DS9 is being discovered on Netflix and other sources and re-evaluated, free of the competitive assessments during its first run. If CBS choose to market DS9 as an epic, sophisticated drama series as well as another Trek show in HD, they may reach fans on the fence or just people curious about good drama. Promote the fact that DS9 anticipated shows like Battlestar Galactica. Use DS9's critical acclaim to your advantage. Don't just put together a trailer with cliched Trek dialogue, phaser blasts, and aliens doing funky alien stuff. Think bigger. Sell the narrative and the world.

Honestly, I've been disappointed with how little attempt is ever made to distinguish the Star Trek shows in marketing terms. Here in Australia (as in the UK), the slimline DVD sets for all four modern Trek shows follow the same visual template: ship/station, with the captain and another cast member behind them. And on the back, there is NO TEXT at all. For a Trek novice or a casual fan, they have no way to tell how the shows differ from each other and determine which one is for them. No-one would even know ENT is a prequel. The assumption on CBS/Paramount's part seems to have been: the fans know what they want, and no-one else cares, so we won't even bother writing any copy describing the season, or slap a couple of enticing images on the back.

Of course, I'm aware that Trek home video sales have likely been driven largely by Trek fans, and that CBS/Paramount might well have known exactly what they were doing in keeping the marketing minimal. Perhaps the public stigma of Trek is so powerful that it's actually more useful to play on it to welcome in fans than try to overcome it to attract new ones.

But if there is such a concern - and understandably so - about DS9's commercial viability in HD, then I encourage CBS to step outside the traditional Trek marketing box and use the show's progressive approach to their advantage. Arrange media coverage discussing the distinctive aspects of the show. Put together trailers and posters that even make Trek fans agog at how cool DS9 seems. The TNG season 2 trailer on the first Blu-ray demonstrates that CBS can craft a grand, enticing piece of marketing, even from a 1988 season of stand-alone episodes. I hope they take those skills and make DS9's differences from the other Trek shows a marketing asset rather than something to be ignored.

3. Adrenaline

Adrenaline Ensign Newbie

Definitely agree, I would love to see DS9 on Blu-ray. Rewatching DS9 on DVD for the 3rd time since the original run, while my Blu-ray player upconverts nicely, there are definitely times, especially in the earlier seasons that some remastering could be done.

Like others have said, my first Star Trek episode I watched was The Best of Both Worlds at 6 years old, I was overseas at the time so I was a season behind. A few years later when DS9 aired, that was pivotal for me. The first Star Trek to premiere and I was there watching it from Episode 1 to the end. At the time I didn't know why I loved it so much more than TNG (and later on VOY), but now years after the fact, I can reflect on it. 4th time around now, I can safely say it really came down to the characters and stories. There isn't a character I did not like in DS9 and for the most part I find value in every episode.

The one question I do have though is, with 4k just around the corner, and especially by the time they get around to DS9, wouldn't it make sense to skip Blu-ray and go straight to 4k remastering.

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

As is my understanding of it, yes! Incredible, isn't it?

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Though as far as I read,i some of the modesl used in Way of the Warriror, where the ones you could buy in a shop. As most of them where going to get blown up.

6. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Yeah, they built the plastic model kits, packed them full of glitter and explosives, then filmed them as the blew up.

7. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep, those $20 ERTL models were probably pretty handy for quick and cheap ships to blow up.

It might be nice to update some stuff, as they did for episodes like "The Ultimate Computer" and the "The Doomsday Machine":

First and foremost, replacing some of that stock battle footage from "What You Leave Behind", if only so that the new Defiant doesn't read NX-74205.

Speaking of that registry, You could even even go back for some episodes and change the NX on the older Defiant's hull to NCC, as they did with the Excelsior.

8. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I think there is hope for DS9. Just look at this Defiant fly-by on HD and CGI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQ4TuzG7MI

Or Vor'Cha class cruiser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3eiQvksrs&feature=share&list=UUeoXnh_AMvp1JvP1YRN3UgA

Or a Runabout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLFQ6TqsEkw&feature=share&list=UUeoXnh_AMvp1JvP1YRN3UgA

Or the space station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L82qw_vdFA4&feature=share&list=UUeoXnh_AMvp1JvP1YRN3UgA

The Light Works studios provided already HD models for Star Trek TNG blu-ray release according their portfolio on their website so I think they are already preparing for DS9 ...

9. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Interesting tweet by Robert Meyer Burnett. I asked him why it is relevant now, no reply as yet ...

10. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

For a demo they are really impressive. I especially like the Vorcha flyby. Overall if they improved some of the lighting in these shots they would look up to the task. So if this stuff can be rendered as a mere demonstration, it can't be such an impossibility to make for the remastering from a financial point of view.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The registry of the Defiant in "What You Leave Behind" didn't bother me; an error in "Tears of the Prophets" did, the registry of the Valiant was never removed from the CG model and appeared in the episode.

12. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I did my part!

Perhaps CBS is making a decision soon?

13. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Now that they're past the half way mark with TNG I guess it would make sense for them to be lining up their next project.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah.. yeah.. just buy all this other stuff and we might give you the opportunity to buy what you really want in another year or two. Season 4's coming out in a few months, be sure to buy that! ;)

15. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:lol:

I would have bought it anyway! Now Voyager, on the other hand... ;)