Game of Thrones 4.6 - "The Laws of Gods and Men" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 11, 2014.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

58.3%
  2. Above average

33.3%
  3. Average

8.3%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Re: Game of Thrones 4.6 - "The Laws of Gods and Men" - Rate and discus

I did like how Tywin used Jaime so well. It's kind of clear he wasn't planning on executing Tyrion (probably always going to have him take the Black) and when Jaime offered himself as a "sacrifice" Tywin jumped on this and got Jaime to agree to it. So basically it was a senseless sacrifice.

Though it's not that much of a sacrifice because Jaime is now giving up a defunct career as a bodyguard to become a powerful Lord who lives in a Great Fortress and look after a beautiful city.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Well, Jaime can't get what he wants, anyway. Ideally, he'd be back with Cersei and doing his job as Kingsguard, but Cersei doesn't want him and his job is basically a joke now. His father considers him an embarrassment, only worth the trouble because at least he's not Tyrion. Jaime has shit for honor and he knows it. Shuttling off to Casterley Rock to carry on the family name is pretty much the kindest fate left to him.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The initial claim was just what I would like to see. Believe me when I say I haven't read the book. I'm a strong advocate against people spoiling the book.

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Haha, I don't think so. I think I've only ever seen that online, so yeah, the episode name isn't entirely spoilery. But apparently the season preview may have been, although I never saw that.

I dunno, it seems like if the Mountain dies he loses a powerful champion and Tyrion is set free (which Tywin doesn't seem to want). And if Oberyn dies by the hand of the one who killed his sister, wouldn't his brother and family in Dorne be even more upset at the Lannisters? It doesn't seem too win-win.

I believe you, but it just seemed like a strange conjecture to me. And dang it, I really liked my Jaime theory!

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Did she have to make it such a personal testimony. One mentioning how she called him 'Lion' etc. Tyrion seemed pretty convinced that she had screwed him over.

6. Robert Maxwell

She was in an impossible situation but yes, I can see her using the opportunity to lash out at him for spurning her, even if she doesn't actually hate him. It's not hard to imagine her feelings about him are very mixed.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The testimony was even worse in the books, where she said he had her call him "Her Giant of Lannister" which everyone laughed their guts out over.

Basically, she took Tyrion's "armor" (his dwarf status) and turned it right back into the shame he's always lived with. She totally destroyed the facade of confidence and joviality he'd built up his whole life.

8. Robert Maxwell

Book Shae is a totally different character so I don't think it makes much sense to discuss her here.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yes, in the books she's basically this 1-Dimensional clingy girl who we're never meant to like.

Then again, Tywin and Cersei are both kind of 1-Dimensional in the books as well and I'm very grateful the series chose to make them real characters in this adaption.

10. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still mourn the loss of Tywin's muttonchops, however. :lol:

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    :D

12. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To answer your question, clearly no, we did not watch the same scene.

Her performance did not say "I'm sorry Tyrion, I'm being forced to do this against my will, help me!"

It said "You had called me just a whore and sent me away, well, here I am, just a whore, whoring myself to someone else now."

13. Robert Maxwell

Her performance doesn't read that way at all.

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I read it closer to Bisz explanation than her being forced to say he made me call him his Lion and outing his "Fuck me like it's my last day on this earth" (or something like that). That was personal information, not a script Cersei gave her. She could have lied about everything and made up the history they had together but instead gave detailed info (plus the lie about the poison).

15. Robert Maxwell

I think it was equal parts anger at how he sent her away and intimidation from Cersei. I just think it's too simple to imagine she's a mean bitch out to hurt Tyrion. She is no doubt angry with him, but that is hardly all that's motivating her behavior.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

To you, perhaps. Your opinion is of course valid and as legitimate as anyone else, but it's hardly 'the only conclusion one could really draw.' Interpreting a performance is an entirely subjective thing.

17. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation

Agreed, and I interpret it the same way as Bisz. It's ambiguous enough that I can accept I could be wrong, but where Robert saw coerced, I saw scorned. Considering the "flexible" integrity of most characters on this show, I have no trouble at all imagining her acting out of spite.

FWIW, I do hope I'm not wrong, as having her be a victim (and thus a presumptive ally of Tyrion) would kinda be a copout. The reason Dinklage's performance is so resounding is that it really illuminates the astounding amount of betrayal demonstrated by all those conspiring against him he feels in that very moment. Shae being, as it were, the final straw. It would be deflating if they took the corny, clichéd way out (and also entirely inconsistent with the tone of this show).

18. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree entirely. They are different characters, more sympathetic characters, but they aren't any more "real." Some folk are just shitty people.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Thing is, the reason why book Tywin and book Cersei are shitty people is purely for Tyrion's benefit. Martin made them both so 1-Dimensionally nasty simply so we'd cheer for Tyrion more and to make him sympathetic no matter what he does. It's nothing to do with their own characters or just because "there are shitty people out there", it's entirely just to make Tyrion look good.

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

We apparently read different books.