Elite IV: Elite Dangerous due March 2014 !

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Eagle, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Eagle

Eagle Commander Red Shirt

Here is the official Kickstarter page set up by David Braben himself:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

This is going to be a fantastic game !

I really do hope they release MOD tools so a Star Trek modification can be made. A whole Milky Way galaxy with billions of star systems set in the Trek universe is a good idea.

Anyway, Elite is one of my all time favourites :techman:.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Elite II loads, more than the original in fact. I wish the trading system and various missions had been more dynamic though. The new project sounds interesting; good luck to them.

I didn't actually realise there'd been an Elite III. :o

3. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

That would be Frontier: First Encounters. It had slightly better graphics, a bit different user interface and a pretty forgettable plot. Not that big of an improvement. On the plus side you could get a Thargoid ship...

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Limited by the time it was produced.. it is a miracle to see with what ressources programmers back then had to work to create games.. any modern cell phone has way more storage and computing power that the biggest home system you could afford in the late 80s/early 90s.

Yet we got awesome games we could spend dozens of hours with, sometimes even more.

I am so looking forward to this if it gets made (and i'm pretty sure the Kickstarter will be a success).. together with the ressurection of Wing Commander by Chris Robert's i'm one happy gamer right now.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, what? Are you talking about Star Citizen, or is there something else I'm unaware of? Because Star Citizen is not a part of WC, but it looks to be a similar experience.

6. Eagle

Eagle Commander Red Shirt

I've been missing the space genre quite a bit, it's a good it's coming back again. The X games are ok if you like the trading aspect. Combat is ok but it feels too small being set in kilometre-sized sectors with planets and moons you can't land on, explore or make use of. They get better but I like a full-size realistic galaxy that you can explore every object within. I'm sure Frontier can find a number of ways to make all the extra space more useful - like long quests to far off systems to find special artefacts and derelict systems. Rescue operations etc.

7. FPAlpha

It's a spiritual successor and i guess only rights issues keep him from naming it Wing Commander Online or something like that.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember having to futz around with one of the memory files in order to get Elite II to run on my PC when it came out. Something about only running in higher memory or something; can't really remember. I do remember getting it as a Christmas (or maybe birthday) present and not being able to run it until a few days later when I could ask someone technologically minded how to alter the file. These days, one would just do an internet search and find the answer immediately...

9. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

10. FPAlpha

Jesus that takes me back to the early 90s :lol:

I can clearly remember the time when i had worn down my parents to buy me a RAM upgrade to increase it to a whopping 1 MB of RAM.. plugging it in felt like real engineer work for a kid back then :lol:

God i played Elite religiously back then.. one of the best games ever. I'm currently very happy that so many legendary games get reboots or sequels.. XCom is a very good remake of the classic game (and damn hard on the advanced levels), now we get the inofficial Wing Commander Online game called Star Citizen and Elite is on its way too.

Together with the new Sim City and semi regular new Civilization games i'm set for a long time!

11. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

Elite: Dangerous just hit the halfway mark in Kickstarter funding.

12. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember being really proud of my final DOS config that was getting I think 615K or so by then end.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I used to play Heart of China, which required at least 581Kb of conventional memory. For the longest time I loaded, reloaded, reordered, reconfigured, and threatened to throw my computer out the window, but I finally got the results I wanted. Man, this takes me way back. Sierra games, Star Trek: TNG still going on strong on the air, playing "Away Team" in our backyard with my friends... magical memories. :D

15. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Played it extensively on the BBC micro back in the day, and revisited it briefly as Frontier: Elite II in '93, but what time I have left is too previous to devote to yet another revisit, no matter how good the eye candy is. I'll pass.

17. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

9 days left in the campaign and Elite is at £955000. Christmas time slowed things down a bit.

18. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I sincerely doubt this is going to make another £300k in 8 days :(

19. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

We'll see, Elite just passed £1,000,000 milestone.

20. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

It's looking likely that this will get funded now. There's less than £180k to raise over the next six days which is £30k a day and it's been getting about that for the last couple of weeks. And if things ramp up towards the end like with other kickstarters then this should be a done deal... hopefully...