Terminator-217 "Ourselves Alone" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Mar 6, 2009.

?

Grade "Ourselves Alone"

1. "I'll be back." (Excellent)

25.5%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

44.7%
  3. "Thank you for explaining" (Average)

23.4%
  4. "I don't know if we can win this war." (Below Average)

4.3%
  5. "You are terminated." (Poor)

2.1%
  1. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This whole subplot involving Riley, the australian accent woman and Derek is getting really boring now. They should have had Derek discover the setup about 3-4 episodes ago. Now they are just dragging it on and on.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^^ "She's probably smarter, and more able to integrate in human society, than your average T888. " Which would explain her monotone robotic personality :p ;) But seriously why the hell was she so human and charming in her introduction scene in the pilot and then a frickin' robot after that even when she needed to appear human?

3. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

Then I hope you don't watch BSG, there they drag on subplots for like 4 seasons. I think it's a pretty quick resolution, myself. How many episodes has Riley even been in? Not that many, and those include the initial introduction.

Mr.Light; The producers have said something like Cameron was given a special "introduction" program to deal with John at that particular school. Which does sound like a bit of an excuse; they probably changed their mind on how human they wanted her to be. However, Cameron has proven in "Allison of Palmdale" she can be very convincingly human, when she wants to. I don't see a T8xx ever doing that. When with the Connors, she doesn't need to "act" human anyway, they know what she is.

4. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, actually, we haven't.

What we saw was Sarah dreaming about Cameron in a bikini :lol:

But to discuss this episode, gave it an excellent! :techman: , much much better than what we have been seeing these past episodes. It had it flaws, sure, but it was such an improvement, plus they got rid of the most annoying character on the show.

I think we'll have another death soon, and I think Derek will kill Jesse, either that or Jesse will kill Derek. No spoiler code here, because it's not from any rumor of any kind, I just think that it will happen, and might of course be wrong ;)

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

For a brief moment I really thought Riley might somehow kill Jesse... but obviously that wouldn't make any kind of sense. I didn't mind Riley that much but her death means some shit will hit the fan now, and obviously it's all running up to the end of the season. Can't wait...

6. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm convinced that Jesse is going to die at some point before the season ends. She pretty much has to. Of course the only chance of her 'plan' succeeding now is if John believes Cameron killed Riley. I really hope we find out what happens in the future that makes her want to keep John and Cameron apart. My guess is Cameron malfunctions and kills John.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I forget if this was mentioned in the episode or we were just thinking it, but Jesse could still frame Cameron for the murder of Riley, plant the gun in her room or something like that. Of course why would a Terminator use a gun, but still.

8. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I don't think she has to do anything - the mere fact Riley has vanished, coupled with John's doubts and Sarah pointing out all the times Cameron has lied to them, will be enough. No body ever has to be seen.

9. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. We saw Cameron's "fixed" hand twitching as she approached Riley in the garage, suggesting that she was going to kill her as she did the birds. However, I'm not clear if she really meant to kill Riley, since she didn't mean to kill the birds.

I also thought it was rather poignant when Cameron gives John the kill-switch. She knows something's wrong with her but can't fix it. I'm interested in seeing how that plays out. I guess John's cleaning her chip like an old Nintendo cartridge wasn't the best idea. ;)

10. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

Cameron used a gun to kill Enrique, and for the 3 bowling guys. The various other Terminators, even the T1000 in T2, also frequently have used guns. The only Terminator who really likes "handwork" is Weaver, it seems to me.

I agree that Jesse is going to place the blame on Cameron - and she probably doesn't need to do anything more but make sure the body gets found at a place where it would seem reasonable Cameron could have dumped it.

Regarding the twitching hand, it may be that Cameron's default Terminator programming (eliminate threats) is conflicting with her newfound regard for life in general, and her desire to be "good" (as she expressed to John in the episode where she went after Ellison for Cromartie's body). Since repairing the hand apparently did nothing, the problem is probably conflicting commands from the chip/nerve center. Her hand was ready to kill Riley, but her head (most of it, anyway) not.

11. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that it's a programming conflict. Killing the bird was the safe thing to do. If it returned to it's chimney nest it would have been a fire hazard. But killing the bird would also have been harmful to the mission by damaging John's trust in her and possibly attracting the attention of animal welfare authorities. The need to protect John from two different types of danger, one physical and one emotional led to a moment of indecision and the hand spasm is a result of her inability to prioritize the two conflicting goals. With Riley, the issue is the same, but stronger. Leaving Riley alive was unacceptable, but so was killing her.

12. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

That seems most plausible to me. Remember that in "Samson and Delilah" she manually overrode her default programming to terminate John through some sheer force of will / regard for life. Perhaps that's finally starting to falter and her default programming is struggling to re-assert itself.

13. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

Agreed, except that I actually think her - relative - regard for life is getting stronger, not weaker. She is not only considering John now, but also those he cares about, and even just random animals.

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Actually we saw her in The Turk walking across frame in her bra and panties as John and Sarah were talking about the photos from the Resistance Safehouse.

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Core program is a real bitch isn't it :D

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

We've seen her go back into infiltration mode as needed on the show though. A good example is during the field trip in Season One where she goes back into innocent teenage girl mode in order to manipulate her teacher.

17. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

For all Derek's training, I'm surprised he hasn't figured out something isn't quite right about Jessie. He's suspicious of everyone. He killed Andy and he knew FutureAndy was his friend.

I don't think Jesse's doing any of this for John. She seems to hate him and Sarah. Maybe she hooked up with Skynet to get rid of John, hoping that would stave off the worst of Judgment Day. I just have a hard time assigning any kind of altruistic motives to that annoying woman.

18. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

The next episode (a 2-parter, actually) will no doubt give us insight into Jesse's motive (it is - partially - set on the nuclear sub Jesse was on, in the future). I guess we will understand here after that, to some degree (though she remains a cold killer). I doubt she is working for Skynet, but we'll see.

19. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

cool.

20. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Must have forgotten about that, so guess we have seen her.