"Space Command"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 16, 2012.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Oh, I agree that this is probably the case. I mean, how can you stop someone from quitting?

I'm not going to comment on that. That's Doug's business.

I'm curious as to what you weren't crazy about. Personally, I found the promo videos long on talking up the cast and crew and short on any meaningful details, so there wasn't much to critique except the zooming spaceships and CGI rendered environs.

2. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't entirely sold on the retro 1950s inspired universe, but as you said, the promo wasn't solid on details, and the video still convinced me to donate, so I was giving them the benefit of the doubt there. Not really a big deal.
    And it's not that I had a problem with it so much as that it wasn't one of the selling points for me personally, so if that's part of what has changed, then that wouldn't concern me.

It would be nice for the backers to get more details on this though. The updates have mostly stopped since the Kickstarter campaign finished, at least as far as the creative direction is concerned.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, that never occurred to me. I didn't invest based on any one person, although I'm definitely a fan of Zicree, Drexler and the others, but I did invest based on it being a 50s-style (or at least 50s-inspired) Space Opera. Well, as long as it's good, I won't be too disappointed. They're still talking about it being an optimistic visions, versus the faux cynical stuff that's been the style of the past few years.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not as interested without Doug involved. I know Marc also but still.. Personaly I'm not a fan of the 50's retro style stuff either, but thats just me.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Actually, the retro-50s thing is the one thing I liked the best about the original pitch. I loved the idea of using the 50s aerospace concepts as a jumping off point, as it could have been a fresh look, but the trailers and concept art released are a mish-mash of designs and styles that don't go together and show no cohesive art direction.

Mind you, I don't want it to really look like a 1950s show. I mean, here's the original Space Command from 1953 [link to image].

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Been kind of expecting something like this for a couple of weeks:

Link

Some of this is probably overstated. There are several responses to the piece at the link as well, including one from Doug Drexler.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this does bring up one of the biggest problems with Kickstarter. You never really know what exactly you're donating money to until it's too late. I find it kinda sad this the guy in charge's ego appears to be chasing all of the big name people away, they were the main reason I was interested in this.

8. RJDiogenes

Caveat Emptor. :shrug:

I haven't been keeping up with things on a day-by-day basis, just reading the emails and checking in at the forums occasionally, but I haven't seen anything to make me regret investing. If it becomes something I don't like, well, that's my tough luck-- I didn't sign any contracts, I just gave them a handout.

I've heard a few people talk about a "change in vision," but they haven't really specifically said what that means. Marc is writing several scripts instead of one? Okay, I always knew it was intended to be a franchise. The format is evolving or undefined? So what? We live in an age where the format doesn't have to conform to old standards.

Somebody complained about it being a series of low-budget movies. Well, of course. The campaign raised a huge amount of money in relation to their original goal, but it's still only a fraction of the budget of a TV show, let alone a movie. I knew that and I'm fine with it. This is an independent production, not Hollywood. I've been saying since forever that we have the capability of making fine SF or Sci Fi or Space Opera with home-grade equipment (Chris Mihm has been proving that for years and Dennis is working on proving it with Polaris). I neither expected nor want this to be George Lucas or JJ Abrams.

At this point, I will remain optimistic until I hear something that I dislike from a creative standpoint.

9. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I don't see much of a reason to be worried, either. While it's unfortunate that Doug Drexler is out, there are still quite a few talented people involved. I like most of what I've seen so far, even some of the recent changes like the less 50s-ish logo.

Just yesterday, I looked at all the audition tapes for the lead role and was surprised to find that almost all of them seemed quite professional and that there were actually several that I liked. I would be more than fine if Zicree managed to match the quality of his "Star Trek Phase 2" episode "World Enough and Time", and that had some pretty awful acting. "Space Command" already promises better acting and production values than that.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was never really tempted to contribute to this - despite Doug's, Steve's and Andy's really impressive visual contributions to it, the project was sold on Kickstarter as all sizzle and no steak. You had a short list of talented creative people - now all departed - a setting, and a visual style.

Period.

I'm not sure how someone could complain about a change in premise, because nothing so complete as a story or series premise has ever been presented publicly. Setting does not equal premise, and even at this late point the available descriptions of the characters are names, putative ranks and a few broadly-sketched stereotypes.

It will find an an enthusiastic following of some shape and size. Everything does.

11. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

OK, first off, no wonder Doug Drexel left. The designs are horrendous and look like 1920's pulp sci-fi fiction rather than retro 50's sci-fi as was promised. The designs are ugly like the people involved.

Does anyone know how successful these kickstarter programs are or how hard they are to initiate. I hear there is a Trek one - Into Darkness? Is it any good or successful and what if things like this fold or don't become popular or serialized. Is Marc Scott Zicree going to make money on this over and above the quarter mill plus he's pulled in already? This sounds like a good thing to sidestep studio interference and have full creative control over your product and not done by committee on an assembly line with a Rick Berman hanging over your shoulder telling you what to do and not to do. I wonder how much creative freedom productions made by Netflix and Amazon will allow or do they have their own Bermans?

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

No, Star Trek II Into Darkness is being paid for by the Studio, JJ Abrams didn't do a kickstarter for it.

Perhaps you're thinking of Rod Roddenberry's Project Star Trek Renegades?
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=185420&highlight=Gods

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Rod is not involved with Renegades.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, thanks, I could've sworn I read that as someone's justification when the claim was being made that it was "Official Star Trek" by a poster here.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, let's see how Netflix's revival of Arrested Development turns out but overall, I'd assume that original streaming productions are on par with original cable productions in being aimed at niche audiences and therefore won't have the dumbing-down pressure that afflicts broadcast so often.

16. RJDiogenes

I believe Tim Russ is involved. That might be what you're thinking of.

I'd be just as happy with 1920s as with 1950s.

17. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well according to their kickstarter page they want to use the completed pilot to pitch it as an official series to CBS, and if they're not interested, then make it as another fan film.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I think I'd almost rather see 1920s. It doesn't seem to be quite as popular as '50s retro.

19. RJDiogenes

True. To the wider audience, 20s art deco would probably be so old that it's new again.

20. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    IIRC, the story covers multiple decades. It's possible that the style will evolve from the 1920's to the 1950's.