Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I've only watched a few episodes so far and I continue to be impressed by the way it looks. It's almost a shame it isn't widescreen because it's really nice to look at. That said, just like with TOS-R, sometimes the higher resolution reveals things that undermine the suspension of disbelief. Not much, mind you, but it's there.

Originally I had purchased only the first four seasons of TNG because I didn't care for the rest. I'll eventually replace those four seasons with these enhanced sets, but I still won't bother with the rest. Enhanced imagery still won't interest me in those seasons.

2. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

They expect that us die hard Trekkers would already know the episode listings of each season from front to back already. ;)

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not sure how far I'll go with TNG-R right now. I own the first five seasons of the series on DVD, but this will probably be the last time I buy it on home video, so I may splurge and get all seven. Even though the last two seasons wouldn't get played much.

4. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But season six was the best season - Spiner said so!

5. BillJ

I'm really not a fan of either seasons six or seven. The show felt played out and they weren't interested in trying to inject new character dynamics into the mix.

6. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I only have Season 5 on DVD since it is my personal favorite but I plan to buy all 7 seasons on Blu-ray since that will be the pinacle of the technology available for use on the show. I have been traveling extensively for business so I held off on buying Season 1. I'm glad I made that choice due to the audio and other issues that have cropped up. First week of September, the order goes in.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree seven was a bit of a dud, but I've always thought six was a lot of fun, with some of the best eps of the series (Relics, Chain of Command, Ship in a Bottle, Face of the Enemy, Tapestry, Frame of Mind...).

I've never understood the problem people had with it.

8. davejames

You know, the more I rewatch TNG, the more I'm noticing just how ineffecient that bridge design was. That giant horseshoe might have looked cool, but all it did was constantly get in people's way. Lol

I just watched one episode where Picard had to walk from the back of the bridge to the captain's chair, and it seemed to take him a full 10 seconds to make the trip. :D

9. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's most noticable in BOBW where Picard is being attacked by a Borg and Worf has to do a little jog down the slpoe to try and defend him. Very inefficient indeed. :lol:

10. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never really had any problem with TNG Season 3 onwards.

Already got all of TOS and the movies on BD, and I'll add all of TNG to that, and probably anything else that follows. I don't plan on buying any of these series again, so getting them in a quality that the remaster/BDs provide is a no-brainer.

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

How exactly was that touching? Riker deliberately chose not to save the girl and the crew gave him a pat on the back for it. For a series that depicts humanity that's still trying to develop new ways to heal people, the moment when one has the power to bring a dead child back to life is shunned upon. Why is letting this girl die a good thing? Should we go to every hospital and tell doctors to stop trying to revive patients the moment they flat line?

You know what I call characters who willingly let children die and feel good about it at the end? The bad guys.

12. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The child already died in the accident. The point was, it's not wise to use powers imposed by another being to reverse the natural course of events.

I admit, it is a fine line compared to your example of today's patients who have flatlined.

It would be different if Riker was a physician and had the medical/technological tools at hand to try to revive the girl.

It was touching because Riker was devastated that he didn't revive the girl, but based upon the circumstances, I think he did the right thing.

13. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

The story may have been better served if he saved the girl, and that escalated his powers, corrupting him even more. Or, if you prefer he doesn't save the girl, at least have to confront her family and show the drama and despair inherent in that.

14. BillJ

What crew gave him a pat on the back? Both Data and Crusher looked stunned when Riker didn't bring her back. I understand Picard being wary of changing events that already happened and that they would normally not have the power to change.

The Gift, DC Comics Annual #1 gives a look at changing events that have already happened. It's written by Micheal Jan Friedman and John deLancie.

[​IMG]

15. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Because as we all know from history, using powers imposed on us to reverse the natural course of events leads to 50,000 deaths every year. Even today's scientists are still dumbfounded by this phenomenon even to this day....

Wait, what am I talking about? That's never happened. And in the field of medicine, we always try to reverse the natural course of events. That's what medicine is about. Oh, you're dying of cancer? That's natural. Aids? Natural. Blood loss? Natural. Death? Natural. If we had the technology to bring someone back to life shortly after they died, you think we'd use it or just go "Nope! We are not wise enough to use such technology!". And if you're going to go the "We didn't create it" card, don't. We are using technology to do incredible things that we as individuals didn't think of ourselves. Like me on my computer. I didn't create it, build it, or invent it, yet I still use it because it's a great tool. And this is a tool that was given to me as a gift. Riker himself was given a gift, but decided not to keep it for no discernible reason.

Picard: Power corrupts.
    Riker: And absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Ok, so what do you call this Galaxy Class Starship that has the power to beam people in and out of existence, re-create any object, setting or life form from any planet, ship or station from any time, create it's own life form, and pulverize an entire solar system with it's heavy armaments? Having that power is ok, but having the power to bring a dead girl back to life? You're worse than Satan.

Honestly, put yourself in Riker's position. What is the downside? What could possible go wrong that it is better to leave a dead girl behind rather than bringing her back? Is it that this girl might cause an event that will wipe out all life in the galaxy? Well, if you're going to go by that frame of logic, you can pretty much use that philosophy on EVERYTHING. If I wear socks, will I get fired? If I get a pet, will the space station explode?

But here's the big one. And this is a really, really, REALLY big one.

Neelix died in a Voyager episode. Seriously. He was pronounced DEAD. However, 7 of 9 used her borg technology to bring him back. You know Borg technology, right? Those powers had to be imposed on her, and the crew didn't have anything to match it. but instead of getting into an episode long debate on the moral of using this power to reverse the natural course of events, they just decide to do it. And guess what happened? Everyone ended up fine in the end. Whatever troubles that this event caused, the characters worked it out with each other.

Yep. We cannot use powers beyond our understanding unless it involves saving Neelix.

16. davejames

No one "let" anybody die. As others have already said, the girl was already dead and Riker simply refused to bring her back to life. I agree he probably should have made an exception in this case and revived her anyway (seeing as she had seemingly just died), but you're still crossing a very delicate line when you start bringing back the dead.

Riker also had the power to bring back people who died days or years or even centuries ago, but I don't think anybody would argue THAT would be a good idea.

17. BillJ

Are you insinuating that Riker shouldn't bring back every single person who died a tragic death through the course of history?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  18. Doug Otte

You seem to have stopped reading after my first paragraph (quoted above). Here's what I wrote after:

"I admit, it is a fine line compared to your example of today's patients who have flatlined.

It would be different if Riker was a physician and had the medical/technological tools at hand to try to revive the girl."

19. Doug Otte

Those things would have been interesting, but there was so much going on in the script already that they wouldn't have had time.

The point was made succinctly. Riker was tempted to use the Q's powers by a very agonizing situation, but he managed to resist the impulse and sought the high ground.

20. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't he already use them to give "gifts" to the rest of the bridge crew? Saving the little girl would have been a thousand times more useful than any of those things aside from giving Geordi his sight back.