Crazy Political Ads of 2014

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Locutus of Bored, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

With the midterms and other elections coming up in the US, what are some of the crazy political ads you've seen this year? It doesn't have to be limited to the US, though an explanation of the content if it's not in English would be appreciated.

The ad that inspired me to start this thread was by California gubernatorial candidate Neel Kashkari against incumbent Governor Jerry Brown. In the ad, Kashkari metaphorically implies that Governor Brown has left children drowning in a pool (complete with scenes of a kid struggling underwater) by appealing a court ruling striking down teacher tenure.

(Video in link below)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/17/neel-kashkari-drowning-kid-ad_n_6005808.html

Whatever you feel about the Governor or the claims made by Mr. Kashkari (which the Sacramento Bee labelled "somewhat misleading"), using the imagery of a drowning child to smear your opponent is pretty hardcore and distasteful. It's not the worst political ad I've seen in California by far, but it's still messed up.

So, what kind of bizarre or horrible political ads have you seen in your region this year?

2. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I usually mute them.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Skinny dipping congressman in the Sea of Galilee or a man allowing himself to be re-baptized in the same body of water where Jesus walked on water? No matter, show a bunch of old people sitting around nude around the retirement center pool making a bunch of puns. Oh! And throw in a clip of a man yelling "Cannonball!" as he dives into a pool!

I've no love for Congressman Yoder, but this ad is ridiculous and, is misrepresenting what happened and pretty much distoring the facts of the matter. My mom saw this commercial, contacted Yoder's campaign headquarters about this ad wanting to know the truth behind it and they told her he was allowing himself to re-baptized and didn't want to get his suit wet.

LINK

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Up here, the congressional race between Ami Bera and Doug Ose has been brutal. Tons of ads every day from both.

Bera is a tax and spend liberal who voted to raise the debt ceiling and for Obamacare. He's coming for your guns and your money.

Ose is Wall Street lackey who enriched himself through his own legislation and wants to privatize Social Security. He wants old people and children to starve in the streets.

I can't wait for this election to be over.

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you all for reminding me of one more reason that I don't watch TV. ;)

6. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

The ads are bad enough, but I've been inundated with phone calls from both parties about voting, phone calls from "universities" about voting, calls from indeterminate parties about voting--all wanting to know if I'll vote absentee, early voting, or have the nerve to actually vote on Nov 4. They want to know how I feel about Obama's policies or track record which, since he isn't running for anything, kind of surprised me. I don't think I've ever been so aggravated before voting before.

7. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen any bizarre ads this year, so far. But... back when Mitt Romney was running along with Herman Cain... there were some real gems ;) :lol:.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbdXSrM0m9w[/yt]

This one was one of the creepiest though.

Also... this one isn't an ad, but it's still funny... Herman Cain cluelessly quoting from the Pokémon theme from one of the movies.

8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'll admit, I'd consider voting for Herman Caine if he could create a Disney-funded time void. ;) :D I want my toucan stubs!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE5xZKszXMQ[/yt]

9. steveda19

steveda19 Lieutenant Commander

10. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

*walks into thread, sees last post... walks out*

I'm not even gonna ask. O_O

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I think it's referring to the fact that Rick Scott needs to rest in the shade occasionally to regulate his body temperature, like after a brisk workout shedding his skin.

Pictured: Rick Scott says hello to an alligator in his backyard:

[​IMG]

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I have what some woud call a crazy idea for a political ad, how about not attacking your opponments and saying what you would do. i.e Raise taxes to fund X and Y or cut taxes and not spend on X and Y.

Sadly I have a low opinion of politicians who at times only seem to be in it for what is best for them, not best for the country.

Though I do think some countries appear to be worse/better than others when it comes to how political campaings run & politics in geneal.

13. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Just tell me about YOU and YOUR ideas and what YOU stand for. Don't tell me about your opponent. I'll do my own research and form my own opinions.

14. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

The political season reminds me yet again why I think the DVR is the best invention in modern entertainment.

TV show breaks for commercials

Ad one: "I, the Republican candidate, am so fabulous, while my opponent is utter pond scum."
    Ad two: "My opponent is filthy pond scum, but I, the Democrat candidate, am so wonderful."
    Ad three: "This candidate did all this horrible stuff, so you should vote for our guy. Republican PAC."
    Ad four: "This candidate did all this reprehensible stuff, so you should vote for our fellow. Democrat PAC."

TV show resumes. There were no real commercials, and the ads told us nothing beneficial. Actually, after all the mud-slinging, I feel like I need a shower. *shudder*

Please, please, let it be November 5th!!

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Ah the 5th November, Bonfire Night (aka Guy Fawkes Night) when we celebrate the failed attempt to blow up Parliament.